JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One thing to keep in mind for stuff like this visit to CA. If I was going there it would be a lot like the carry at work threads. Would I go armed? Of course. I would take a gun or guns that were CA legal. I would then figure if I used common sense I would be safe. For one how often do you get pulled over and your car searched? If I was in a motel of course I would have a loaded gun in there with me. If I had to use it then there may be some huge hassle with the courts later but I would be alive to fight. I figure my chances of the Police coming in and searching the room are far smaller than the chances I may need the gun.

I posted this in another thread but I had a friend visit from Cali and he told me his brother had several ARs and AKs, a Galil, etc about 7 in total. They took them out shooting one last time before they were stashing them.
And of course they got stopped and the rifles all confiscated, went to court and they melted the guns and handed him a big fine.

F commifornia. I have no reason to even visit.

A friend, a former native of N Cali and S Oregon/Willamette area has suggested a driving visit to his old home-town. We are neither of us in the best health and age has it's limitations so this might could be his last hoo-rah. I told him let me think on it for a couple days and run it past the Old Woman. Also told him I won't travel without my personal protection. He pretty much feels the same way. Been doing some online research on the laws out there and hope to stay under the radar....f
I do know that the People's Republic doesnt recognise our ccw permits from Colorado. What other things should I be aware of?
My selection includes a Rem 870 8-shot with ghost ring and tritiums, or a .30-30 lever, or an SKS with bayo. Id say that would be a no-brainer. Looks like my 13 round Glock 21 is out of the question, as is any "assault rifle" so-called. Would I be better off with say a .357 or .44 revolver than a 1911?
Any thoughts or observations?

Don't mean to be disrespectful, ESPECIALLY if you are elder to me, but what you're talking about doing sounds like a pretty dumb move for a person that should have much more wisdom. WTH's the point of taking gun(s) into a state like California if they have to be in the trunk, with mags/bullets separate? In locked boxes? What good will they do you for protection like that? What happens when some lowlife scum breaks into you'r car, say, when you stop to eat and leave a gun under the seat? Or breaks in and pops the trunk and clips the cable on the, so called, security box? Jesus Lord! What are you going to be doing with a friggin' shot gun, or lever gun? Swing it at the freak that might come up to the window and put a knife, or his handgun, in your face? Maybe I'm missing something here? If so just disregard and carry on.

Seems to me you could end up in way more hot water doing what you're asking about than going to Cali and leaving the guns at home.

I have a kid and grandkids down there and I tell them I'll come as far as Nevada.
I *don't* go to socal for anything or anyone.
Don't like much of anything but my family down there,and they are fine with coming this way to get out of the rat jungle

Last Edited:
Don't mean to be disrespectful, ESPECIALLY if you are elder to me, but what you're talking about doing sounds like a pretty dumb move for a person that should have much more wisdom. WTH's the point of taking gun(s) into a state like California if they have to be in the trunk, with mags/bullets separate? In locked boxes? What good will they do you for protection like that? What happens when some lowlife scum breaks into you'r car, say, when you stop to eat and leave a gun under the seat? Or breaks in and pops the trunk and clips the cable on the, so called, security box? Jesus Lord! What are you going to be doing with a friggin' shot gun, or lever gun? Swing it at the freak that might come up to the window and put a knife, or his handgun, in your face? Maybe I'm missing something here? If so just disregard and carry on.

Seems to me you could end up in way more hot water doing what you're asking about than going to Cali and leaving the guns at home.

I can't speak to what the OP had in mind but can to what I did last time we drove to OR.At the border our EDC's went into lock up in the trunk. I also had one of my folding rifles in there. No mag in the rifle. We were going to be staying there for a few days. When we stop to eat I would park where I could see the car. When we stopped for the night it was at a motel. Guns of course went into the room with us. I was not too worried about the drive down and back. If something happened on the road I could load a gun pretty quick if something happened.
Could they be stolen? Yes. We did what we could to minimize this risk as much as we could but that is always a possibility. To me the risk of this beats the risk of travel un armed. Others will of course have to make up their own mind how they want to do this. I don't travel anywhere without a gun since I don't want to end up in a situation where I need one and I am helpless waiting for the good guys with guns to show up.

Well, what you say has merit and is worth hearing. My long-held practice and belief is to never go where my gun isnt allowed. What it comes to is the old saw "An unarmed man is a subject, not a citizen".

Last Edited:

So you can't even have a gun under the seat. You can have them in your hotel room or while parked loaded in your RV,as it's your home at that point.
But the big factor is what happens if you indeed use it to protect yourself! It's not worth it to me. If I can't carry to protect myself,or if protecting myself is going to get me in a ton of trouble.then I see no reason to go to that state.
Sure I'll have trouble here if I shot someone,but not as easy as in socal or wa.

Well, what you say has merit and is worth hearing. My long-held practice and belief is to never go where my gun isnt allowed. What it comes to is the old saw "An unarmed man is a subject, not a citizen".

So you can't even have a gun under the seat. You can have them in your hotel room or while parked loaded in your RV,as it's your home at that point.
But the big factor is what happens if you indeed use it to protect yourself! It's not worth it to me. If I can't carry to protect myself,or if protecting myself is going to get me in a ton of trouble.then I see no reason to go to that state.
Sure I'll have trouble here if I shot someone,but not as easy as in socal or wa.

I fully agree with both of you!

I doubt that I'll ever be in Cali again. We used to vacation there every spring when I was a kid. Newport Beach, Long Beach and up and down from L.A. to Sandiego. The thought of how the wondrous place(s) I remember have certainly changed so drastically that I wouldn't recognize them takes away any desire to go back.

I really hope you two guys can get down there and that you can enjoy the trip together. There's a lot of places around the West I would like to get back to see, if time, funds and physical ability will allow, so I know how you're pal feels. Maybe Northern Cali would be easier to deal with than the huge population areas too?

A CHL holder in Cali? They would pretty much have to be a Cop, politician or celebrity. So probably no. :rolleyes:

(I really have no idea)
I'm talking about an Oregon chl. I'm just wondering if I got pulled over in California an officer would be asking if there is a firearm in the car. Here in Oregon they do know when they run the plates.

A friend, a former native of N Cali and S Oregon/Willamette area has suggested a driving visit to his old home-town. We are neither of us in the best health and age has it's limitations so this might could be his last hoo-rah. I told him let me think on it for a couple days and run it past the Old Woman. Also told him I won't travel without my personal protection. He pretty much feels the same way. Been doing some online research on the laws out there and hope to stay under the radar....f
I do know that the People's Republic doesnt recognise our ccw permits from Colorado. What other things should I be aware of?
My selection includes a Rem 870 8-shot with ghost ring and tritiums, or a .30-30 lever, or an SKS with bayo. Id say that would be a no-brainer. Looks like my 13 round Glock 21 is out of the question, as is any "assault rifle" so-called. Would I be better off with say a .357 or .44 revolver than a 1911?
when ever i drive there i call the Sacramento DOJ or will call the local sheriffs office of the county i'm going to and tell them you plan on traveling to there state with a firearm and would like to comply with All state laws "please advise", hell call both and ask the name of the person you got the advice from as well and write that down.

and one more thing NO threaded barrels on pistols are allowed.
this is a qoute from the lady at the DOJ a few years ago "NO threaded barrels are allowed! why i say? You could put a silencer on it I said Oh no i'm leaving that at home O-MY-GOD she said dont bring that" the phone call ended with her frantic breathing.

when ever i drive there i call the Sacramento DOJ or will call the local sheriffs office of the county i'm going to and tell them you plan on traveling to there state with a firearm and would like to comply with All state laws "please advise", hell call both and ask the name of the person you got the advice from as well and write that down.
FU$@CK THAT SHNIT That is just the most rediculous thing I have ever heard.
I wouldn't ask or tell anyone in that state about anything that I was carrying .
ANYTHING YOU SAY,CAN AND MOST DEFINITELY WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU.
Do give them anything they don't need.

I don't carry often and the only time I travel with firearms is if I'm on my way to shoot them. With that said, F Kalifornia! I plan to never step foot in that oppressive st!thole ever again on grounds of general principle. I've seen every landmark I ever cared about when I was young. I have no family there and the few friends stuck there know where I live and are free to visit any time. The sooner it slides into the ocean, the better off the world will be.
Edit: no disrespect to those of you with loved ones there.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top