JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The last gun I bought at Cabelas was about ten years ago. Took about 2 hours - I just happened to be be looking and saw a rifle in their racks that I wanted (I sold it about 3 years ago here unfired). Thereafter I went across the highway (this was Lacey) and bought at Sportsman's Warehouse when I was passing thru on my way to/from Portland.

Customer complaints have a very minor impact on broad sweeping policy changes in a large corporation like Cabela's. Revenue does. Withholding my dollars is the best "voice" I have. I could "choose" to hold on to a poor customer service experience, dwell on it, spend time writing letters, making calls, etc... or I can choose to let it go, "vote" with my dollars in the future, devote my time to more worthwhile efforts and be an all around much happier person.

If you don't think there isn't an office somewhere filled with Cabela's employees taking a "pulse" of customer satisfaction via internet postings and reviews... "they" are the ones getting paid to collate that information... not myself to provide it "through channels".

I wanna give my fellow NWF folk a "heads up" on a local business... that's good enough for me. Some folks feel the necessity to whine their way up the food chain over things that... in the grand scheme of things... mean nothing of import. More power to em!

Don't be rediculous (sic). After all... we're not talking social injustice or a government body trampling over my personal rights. I feel no social obligation to act over some businesses internal practices or policies. ;)

As you previously stated, not in your job description...

so when the business enterprise losses enough revenue and closes it doors wondering why they lost revenue...oh wait, what happened to Bass; or oh dear Dick's; dog gone sports authority; Eastern Mountain, Bob's stores, sports chalets; etc.

social injustice, not in your eyes anyway!

Last time I as in that location i saw the dreaded "take a number" machine, i literally watched a group of people standing there all pissed off, id say there was 15 people. The guy calling out number was 30 number away from the number sticking out the machine. Watched a good 7 people walk away after the worker came up and slowly called each number until someone presented the number he was calling. Before the "take a number" bit, I almost bought a few rifles but asked the wait time and they always told me its gonna take an hour. I can walk into a gun shop and leave 20mins later with a firearm, but magically the tualitin cabelas its always gonna take an hour at least?!?!?!

I will probably never buy a firearm from that location, unless they for some crazy reason they have a firearm I cant get some where else at the same price, and if they do I will come early and pack a lunch. And while i have the "salesperson" (i undestand its a huge store but they aren't a salesperson, and can rarely answer my question without looking it up or asking someone more opinionated) I will make them show me everything i ever wanted to see behind the counter, and I mean everything...

My experience is non-sale days are easy in an out maybe 30 minutes.

Sale days, Cabelas is like we have never done it before, I was at Cabelas maybe some of you were for Black Friday sales. They were passing out paper written numbers but neglected to turn off or remove the ticker number machine this resulted some of us waiting and hour or so and other walking right up and grabing a number and helped at once. I thought a riot was going to break out when it kept happening. Myself and other tried to tell the sales people what was happening but they were deer in the headlights all that day.
I was tempted to return on three other sales since then, but from the time I walked in and walked out was 4.5 hours and I was one of the first 30 in the store and there were hundreds.

There should be sales coordinator at every sale to help things along, it was like watching monkeys at the zoo they were clueless. There is a great guy that works at one of our local gun places and he worked there and said they have been disorganized like that since they opened at every sale.:rolleyes:

Only wait in line where I have to like the DMV. No store has anything I want bad enough to wait an hour in line. Last time I went to Cabellas with a friend he caused us to wait an hour plus because he bought a gun and it takes that long for customer service to do a transfer dealer to dealer. Pretty much hate that store and won't go back, I can find what I want someplace else.

Geeze! My big complaints have only been about their horribly designed parking lot and their sadly slow check out lines. If I'm ever going to buy a gun there I'm going to drag over a nice camping chair, a Yeti cooler and set up camp after I pull my ticket. I may even grab a fly rod and go fish in the big tank in back and then grill it up after I drag out a Coleman stove. Maybe we could have the next NWFA get together there. Who's with me?

Joan's with two employees in the store, total, and 30 soccer moms in line for fabric runs faster and more organized than the Tualatin Cabelas gun counter.

Those that get this will understand.

As you previously stated, not in your job description...

so when the business enterprise losses enough revenue and closes it doors wondering why they lost revenue...oh wait, what happened to Bass; or oh dear Dick's; dog gone sports authority; Eastern Mountain, Bob's stores, sports chalets; etc.

social injustice, not in your eyes anyway!

Hey, I found your hat. You better put it on before you get anymore direct sun exposure. :rolleyes:

30358150-6FAF-426E-8CBB-71164D017D5E.jpeg

004.JPG I think I met the girl that the OP was talking about. (Cabela's Tualatin)

I went in and found a 577 Snider. Year of manufacture 1870. Yes, a black powder rifle. Albeit one of the first cartridge rifles rules are rules and federal law is federal law. They bring it out and put it in the rack behind the counter there and she instructs me to go to the computer to start filling out the 4473. I say "Ok, heres the deal. I'll do a background check if you guys pay for it and if for any reason I get delayed I'm taking the rifle anyway". Boy you should have seen her "shocked face". She gives me the blank stare for about 5 solid seconds, walks over and grabs the rifle and whisks off into the back room with it. About 5 minutes or so later, maybe a tad longer a man comes out of the back room, walks over to me and asks "is there a problem?" seemingly oblivious to the law. I ask "how long has that girl worked here?" "Quite some time why?" "how long have you worked here?" "Quite some time also". I was waiting, HOPING these guys even had a clue. So, I clued him in on the fact that there is no state or federal law requiring a bgc for the purchase of a black powder rifle and that regardless of that fact I'd be willing to take one if they agreed to pay for it and that if there was a delay I was taking the purchased rifle home today. He too looks at me with that blank stare for a few seconds and I look at him and say "You guys arent aware of this?" Without a word he takes off into the back room where they had taken the destructive devise. About ten minutes later he comes out with a photocopied version of a 4473 and says "Ok, just fill this out, store policy requires us to get this information." I'm like "Ok". I fill it out, complete my purchase and leave. Its madness I tell ya. 002.JPG

I have had mixed results mainly! Having been to the Mega store outside Nebraska, you literally need to plan an entire day to visit there, and the 3 hour driveway way for the one in Colorado is much the same. The new Tigard store is hit and miss with customer service, especially the gun counter. I have been in there and they aren't even calling numbers, maybe 3 or 4 other shoppers, and I went through the whole prosess in less then an hour. The BGC on line is pretty slow, and that contributed to at least 1/4 of the time
Another time I went and the gun counter was packed wide and deep, and I still didn't have to wait more then half an hour before being called. I have heard all the stories, but havnt had a bad experience there so far. I did have a fishing pro employee kind of give attitude while I was looking for a very specific item I knew they had, he was all "use this, it' the same" sort of deal! I can understand people' frustrations with the fun counter, especially the take a number deal, when none are being called, and the employees basically ignoring folks, but it hasn't happens to me,Yet!:)
We like going there, usually make a day out of a trip north out of Salem and go visit other Shops and catch a bite some place! That's kind of what Cabelas is all about, a days adventure to enjoy!

Speaking of that hat. I went into a gas station in Sutherlin Oregon some time back. Someone had written on the butt bib dispenser (the urinal was broken so I had to go into the stall) with a big black sharpy "FREE COWBOY HATS". I couldnt figure it out so I grabbed one out when I was done, put it on my head and looked in the mirror. Oh my goodness, I literally laughed for days...........

Having been to Sidney Nebraska store several times and Lacey Washington store a half dozen times (all before the Tualatin store came here) I concluded the attitude of the workforce pool they draw from to hire, has more to do with service than policy.
Speaking on those times, we have always had excellent, friendly, and helpful service.
Then came Tualatin's store, and initially glad to have something close. Our first three times were disappointing to irritating. Plenty of bodies doing nothing, engaged in personal conversation, group giggles and no one making eye contact. If you present yourself firmly enough they just pretend you don't exist,fade away and ignore you. On the third time enduring rude and unhelpful personnel, my wife approached a check out teller to express our disappointment at the available, but unwilling and unhelpful lot of employees. She listened with a frown and said (I quote) "Well!, what do you expect for $9.75 an hour!" Not sure on the actual wage she said but the intent was crystal clear. What a shallow, selfish, and ungrateful child.
That was the last time we entered the store. Regardless of whomever now owns Cabella's, we likely never will again.
The same thing about Fisherman's Marine. I have been going miles out of my way for years to The one by Delta park and always had exemplary service, but tried the one in Beaverton several times concluding not to return.
( Gladstone is OK also)
Regardless of store policy, it is the employees that can make or brake a reputation I believe.

You couldn't pay me enough to buy a gun at Cabela's because of their stupid procedures. Their prices are also stupid, one of the only retailers that charges MSRP. Their sale prices aren't great. I'll stick to Sportsmans and my LGS.

Most central distribution style stores pass on their savings to the customer.

Except cabela's.

We are cabelas, our Chinese made products have or logo on it, so it's better than the Chinese name brand we stole the design from. We cut out the middle man, and are markups are higher, yet we charge more than the brand we stole it from.

But hey, that logo, am'i'rite.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads