JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for the tip, Rem. I took a look at their web site but didn't find anything on there about selling used guns but if I can get out that way I'll take a look.

Mike

I've decided to go in a different direction for my next gun. Ive decided to get a Ruger Security Six pistol, probably a stainless with 4" or 6" barrel (preference is 4"). I've not found any local so I've been watching some online and I've talked to the Arm Yourself gun store here in Hillsboro about doing the FFL transfer.

I like the looks of the Model 19 and 66 but the Ruger Security Six seems to be built a little tougher. Plus it was made between 1974 and 1988 so it is a bit newer gun or at least more newer than the S&W 19 or 66. I'll see how it goes and if I have one in my gun box soon.

Mike

Looking at the picture, it doesn't have the S&W emblem on the side but I don't see the pin for the barrel either. Is that a newer Model 19?

Dude.....
IMHO, don't buy off of the internet until you LEARN some more basic things about a S&W. OK, I didn't mean to sound so mean. But look at this picture of my S&W Mod 66-4.

S_and_W_M66-4_005.jpg

Note, the left side of the revolver has the logo. Not the right.
The picture (post #16) that the other guy showed us was very shiny. I can't even tell if it's a M-66 or nickle plated M-19. And so shiny that, I can't tell if it has the SS rear sight or blue rear sight. Mind you that I'm not talking bad about Post #16.
The S&W barrel does NOT always have a pin to secure the barrel. The pin was on early models.
My revolver does NOT have a nasty "Hillary Hole". You know about that.....Rrrright?
Do you know what a recessed cylinder is?
Factory stocks have also varied throughout the years.
The -X numbers have a significance.

So, how much are you willing to pay? Then, add for the shipping costs. An FFL can ship via USPS to your FFL. But, a PVT person (non-FFL) is limited to using a common carrier. That method of shipping can cost you a very significant amount of money. Did the ad say + actual shipping?

Sure the seller may say "3 day inspection/non-shooting returns are accepted". LOL.....say that you find rust under the stocks on a used revolver. Are you stuck with paying the shipping back? Not to mention, if it was a private seller. That a pvt person will need you to ship to his/her FFL. So, who will pay for his FFLs fees in that case?

YES.....I have done purchases (in the past) via the internet. Sometimes, it worked out. Thankfully, I never had to return a firearm (new or used) after buying it through the internet. I said, "sometimes". Because, sometimes I wished that I had not made the purchase. Even pictures can hide stuff. And actions....OMG! You can't see THAT on the internet. Anyway, there have been times when I've said to myself that it would be too much trouble to do a return. So, I kept it.

AND.....
buying NEW does NOT always solve the problem either. Some manufacturers have been known to deliver #@^* to customers. Example: I don't want to take a chance on any new Remlin unless I get to inspect it first. Not to mention, Century builds.

And, surplus.....OMG!

Is it really worth it to buy it on-line? How much are you really saving, $50, $100, where is your line? And, if you have to make a return, will it still be worth it?

IMHO, just buy locally.....unless you're willing to accept RISK and the firearm is something that you absolutely have to have.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
If the seller only accepts weatern union you know it's a scam... ;)
Honestly I don't know how western union is still in business seeing as how only illegal immigrants and scammers use it (for all i know).

You are always gambling with online purchases, but you can find a deal. Heck, ask Jeremy at Lucky Sporting Goods, he may even have one for the price you want. Either way I would go through @LuckySG unless you find one in another shop locally.

Mark, it may sound like a dumb question to you, but if I do not ask questions that may be obvious to others, how do I learn? Also, some of the Model 19's I've looked at do have the emblem on the right side of the gun. I don't know about the model 66.

Risk is all part of buying, no mater where you buy or from whom. Even buying local isn't going to guarantee that something that isn't obvious isn't going to show up after the gun is bought. Shoot, you can't even buy from Amazon without risk of not getting what you think you are getting.

What I have been looking for I can't find local, or at least so far the local ones I've found listed the sellers aren't answering their emails or they have sold and they didn't take the listings down. So if I want to get something in the model I'm looking for in a reasonable amount of time, at a price I'm willing to pay, then online is about the only option right now. I've bought a lot of stuff online over the years and though most of it is common sense and doing due diligence, the aspect of buying a weapon online is totally new to me, which is why I have been asking questions of those that have been buying online. Thanks for the suggestions, Mark.

Flymph, I found this really nice, just like new, with all kinds of extras, Ruger in Nigeria that the seller is hot to sell. No Western Union involved at all so I know it's legit. He said he can take care of the transaction himself if I just give him my bank account info and I won't have to do a thing. Some of those online gun sellers sure go the extra mile to help us newbies have a great experience buying our first guns. :)

Mike

Mike,

As many throughout the years have said, "There are no dumb questions." And for the record.....I didn't think that you were asking a dumb question about buying off of the internet.

I just wanted to point out stuff that some people (maybe including yourself) may not have thought about or given enough of a thought about.

Anyway.....
A modern S&W revolver(s) with the standard S&W logo on the right side? OK, the logo can occur on either side.

As for the RISK.

Not even mentioning the complaints from some recent S&W owners about the QC issues at S&W. My fault. I should have worded that part more descriptively. Not by just by saying RISK. Perhaps, I should have described risk as running from small to great? I should have touched on the amount of risk that someone might be willing to take vs. a possible unintended/unhappy outcome. And maybe I should have touched upon how some people can be picky (with all of the levels between)? But that is for each of us to decide on our own.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....

Since you are a Hillsboro resident. May I suggest......that you contact A Cut Above Pawn Shop.*

If I were you, I'd go down there and talk with them. It's a great place. Friendly staff and who knows what you'll see in their show cases.

Anyway.....

Talk to them about what you were intending to do. They'll probably ask you if you have already found a retailer or not. If not, they might be able to suggest an internet retailer. Someone who they trust and have dealt with before. But, if they won't/don't tell you of their recommendation for a retailer. Well, at least you'll be more knowledgeable about the process. Actually, the entire process is really simple. So, start searching for your perfect revolver.

*Even as a WA resident I've used A Cut Above Pawn to bring in several rifles. I trust them and their prices are reasonable.

Last Edited:
Hey Mark, I've already been into Cut Above twice to talk to them and you are right, they are real friendly and very helpful. They have me set up in their computer to receive the Ruger I bought online Friday night... assuming the seller actually sends it after he gets my money of course. :)

As a backup and if everything works out, I'll also be picking up a Ruger on Monday here in Hillsboro from a local. We are meeting at a local gun store for me to look at it and do the FFL transfer.
Thanks again, Mark, for the suggestions.

Mike

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads