JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi my name is Scotty
I'm brand new to this site and was interested in making some purchases from here but have never bought a gun online so I really don't know how to go about it.
I live in university place Washington
I have my concealed carry license.can someone please tell me what the procedure is. I see a lot of talk about shipping to ppl's and stuff.any help would be greatly appreciated..thanks..scotty

Best advice IMHO is get to be friends with your LGS as you'll need their services and they may be the best option once all expenses are tallied if they can find what you are looking for. The on-line purchase is the beginning and the process depends on where you buy it, auction, private seller, dealer, etc.

Decide on a price, meet at an FFL, inspect the firearm. Transfer cash, fill out your 4473. If it's a long gun, you get to walk away with it. If it's a pistol, you get to wait. Hopefully it's not one of those scary black rifles, those be illegal.

Either one, consider yourself lucky that you get to be on the Washington gun registry.

What's a ffl?
What is a lgs?
Is Washington state better for buying guns than others?
Sorry I'm green in these things so forgive me for all the questions...I just want to know exactly what to do..thanks

ffl is Federal Firearms License, all legal gun dealers have one. First thing ya do is call around to a few gunshops near you--ask if they accept transfers and see how much they charge. When you find the gun you want to buy, you'll let your chosen FFL know and ask them to send a copy of his license to the seller. Inside there somewhere you also get to pay the seller

Welcome.
LGS is short for local gun store. It would be an advantage to you to visit some local gun stores to where you live and ask those questions. They are good questions, the person at the store could answer in more detail and also reply to follow-up questions you will probably have. There are background checks preformed , waiting periods and other concerns when purchasing a firearm in Washington State. At least one of the individuals working at the gun store will have a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and that is required for the store to sell a firearm to an customer or if two private citizens want to sell a gun from one person to another, a person with a FFL must facilitate the ownership transfer by ensuring the proper paper work is filled out and submitted to the government.
You may get more attention and information from a smaller local gun store than from behind the gun counter at Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop or Sportsman's Warehouse.
You mentioned "buying online", is there a specific reason you want to do that as opposed to buying from a gun store near you? Do you want to buy a firearm no nearby gun store has in stock or can't provide?
If you buy a firearm from a gun store the fee for the services of a FFL is included in the sale price. If you buy online or from a private party, in addition to sale price, possible shipping fee, there will also be a fee charged by at least one (perhaps two if shipped from a private party) FFL to do the paperwork.

Last Edited:
Hi my name is Scotty
I'm brand new to this site and was interested in making some purchases from here but have never bought a gun online so I really don't know how to go about it.
I have my concealed carry license.can someone please tell me what the procedure is. I see a lot of talk about shipping to ppl's and stuff.any help would be greatly appreciated..thanks..scotty
You can't really buy online as much as media want to lie about that. ALL sales have to go through a Federal Dealer. You can shop online here. If you see something you like you can contact the seller, arrange to meet at a dealer. If you decide to buy you will be doing the sale with the dealer who finds out if Government is going to say OK to you buying. There are auctions where you can buy new and used guns. These work the same way. Gun has to go to a dealer who will help you jump through the hoops.

Decide on a price, meet at an FFL, inspect the firearm. Transfer cash, fill out your 4473. If it's a long gun, you get to walk away with it. If it's a pistol, you get to wait. Hopefully it's not one of those scary black rifles, those be illegal.

Either one, consider yourself lucky that you get to be on the Washington gun registry.
Sadly this month ends the buy and walk out for long guns too. 1st of the year all of them are the same wait. I know I feel safer already :mad:

1702474172158.png

Aloha, Mark

Welcome.
LGS is short for local gun store. It would be an advantage to you to visit some local gun stores to where you live and ask those questions. They are good questions, the person at the store could answer in more detail and also reply to follow-up questions you will probably have. There are background checks preformed , waiting periods and other concerns when purchasing a firearm in Washington State. At least one of the individuals working at the gun store will have a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and that is required for the store to sell a firearm to an customer or if two private citizens want to sell a gun from one person to another, a person with a FFL must facilitate the ownership transfer by ensuring the proper paper work is filled out and submitted to the government.
You may get more attention and information from a smaller local gun store than from behind the gun counter at Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop or Sportsman's Warehouse.
You mentioned "buying online", is there a specific reason you want to do that as opposed to buying from a gun store near you? Do you want to buy a firearm no nearby gun store has in stock or can't provide?
If you buy a firearm from a gun store the fee for the services of a FFL is included in the sale price. If you buy online or from a private party, in addition to sale price, possible shipping fee, there will also be a fee charged by at least one (perhaps two if shipped from a private party) FFL to do the paperwork.
Well I've just reinstated my gun privileges this year and made copies of the proof...I got my concealed pistol license..bought a Beretta 9 mm from a pawn shop and they photo copied my proof of rights and. Faxed that along with my paperwork for buying the gun..they called me like 45 days later saying I was approved to purchase the Beretta which I did and love it..A few months later I go to Cabela's and try to buy a 22 lever action rifle and was delayed while 3 other people walked right out with their new rifles...so 30 days go by with no word from Cabela's saying anything but they refunded my money since I bought it online and had it shipped to the store.. someone said don't try and buy from a big box store because with my situation they usually deny you for some reason? Has anyone had these experiences? I really want a lever action 22 and a lever action 30/30.

Well I've just reinstated my gun privileges this year and made copies of the proof....
I don't follow, were you previously barred from ownership, and have recently gotten permission again to purchase?

If so, I would definitely avoid the big box stores and do your transfers at your local gun shop.

I don't follow, were you previously barred from ownership, and have recently gotten permission again to purchase?

If so, I would definitely avoid the big box stores and do your transfers at your local gun shop.
The chain stores are known for not doing anything except the minimum required to get merchandise out the door. In most cases, they don't want to deal with any unusual cases or anything that requires extra effort. They have share holders and investors, and their purpose has nothing to do with freedom or firearms, only the bottom line, and that is to make money with the least amount of effort.

Well I've just reinstated my gun privileges this year and made copies of the proof...
What exactly do you mean by this?

If the state granted your CPL you should be good. ANY dealer can order any gun you want to the store for you. From either the distributor they use or guns you find on your own. Find a local shop you like and go from there. If they don't have the lever rifle you want they can order one up for you.

Hi my name is Scotty
What's a ppl's?
Anyway, get your pencil out.. first you find the gun you want to buy, then contact them and then do what you're told.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews