JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
:DMy wife and daughter need their coffee first thing in the AM. Generally, they don't even really talk until they have half a cup in them. It really burns their buns that once I'm up I'm instantly ready to roll. Not sure if that is an ADD thing or years of jobs that required on call duties and needed to be up and out of the house plus be able to drive safely in 15 min.

Either way thay are polar opposites like that:p.

I've been getting far less sleep then usual so I'm feeling a bit rummy all the time now right now.

Take meds, wait for pain to receed, fall asleep, wake up because of all the water I'm pounding to stay hydrated and keep the cotton mouth at bay and then repeat.

Already having a hard time sleeping at night so I've been making myself stay awake during the day but think I need to go back to naps and get whatever sleep I can.

Last night was especially bad so I'm rambling and off topic:rolleyes:.

Damn, I've never even heard of these ice water pumps... Never been offered one:(.

I used one after arthroscopic knee surgery, as did both kids [torn ACL & miniscus]. Didn't have one for the left knee replacement as I wanted to use the passive motion machine for the first several days. Dispensed with the passive motion machine and percoset [?] on the fifth day, and went with the flexible ice packs during the day which made it much easier to do all those hourly or every-other hour exercise regimes.

Maybe will;).

I have my post op tomorrow afternoon and will request one to see how that goes - still can't sit or stand for more then a few min without my foot turning colors and swelling in it and my knee.

Thanks for the offer!

I bought one years ago, they are sold for cheap on E-Bay, mine is a Polar Care Cold Therapy
it looks like a small ice chest, I fill it with ice and cold water and then wrap the pad around the affected area. When you turn it on, cold water is pumped from the chest into the pad and the swelling goes down unbelievably fast. Used ones are $20+ and well worth the money, if you have swelling--Only downside is you need ice to get the best results and you can't use it for more than about 20 minutes in one area. It works so much better than any cold pack ever could

So WAYNO.
How are you holding up? Day Three?

You may not feel like typing. But I hope your doing well.

My Doctor just released me from his care on Monday. It was my three month check up. And He said my shoulder looked great.
But what a tough three months. Shoulders are a slow healer.

Make sure you get your butt out walking an hour or so every day. Get the blood flowing.
It will really help with the pain to. ;)
And get that arm out of the sling now and then to extend and move it.
Also eat well. Protein shakes help. You gota heal those muscles up.

Good luck.

Last Edited:
So WAYNO.
How are you holding up? Day Three?

You may not feel like typing. But I hope your doing well.

My Doctor just released me from his care on Monday. It was my three month check up. And He said my shoulder looked great.
But what a tough three months. Shoulders are a slow healer.

Make sure you get your butt out walking an hour or so every day. Get the blood flowing.
It will really help with the pain to. ;)
And get that arm out of the sling now and then to extend and move it.
Also eat well. Protein shakes help. You gota heal those muscles up.

Good luck.

Howdy. Back in the living world, if just for a little bit. This surgery kicked my butt. Today is the first time I can actually find some neutral positions where I'm at least a little comfortable...As long as I don't move anything. The nerve block pump, not nearly as effective as when I've had them for knee surgeries. So, I'm doing a few oxy's. These make me itch, so I have to add Benedryl. Then lights out.:confused:

Doing geriatric PT, and walking. Before ya know it, I'll be back to normal. Getting old ain't for bubble gummers.

WAYNO.

Who am I? What am I? Where am I? This has been an eventful week, although I do not care to recall some of it. Most of the week I have been in tremendous discomfort. For whatever reason, there have been short periods of relative comfort. Just the right combination of nerve block, oxy, tylenol, cold machine, and benedryl. Nerve block? I've had it previously on a legs and arms, and it was extremely effective. This new fangled On-Q nerve block, where you can keep it going after you leave the hospital, not as effective as I'd hoped. There were times when I had complete numbness of my forearm and fingers, but my shoulder was still pounding in agony. This morning I woke up in my chair, and my On-Q ball was empty. No more nerve block. So I shut it off and disconnected the ball from the catheter. I was glad to get all that weight from around my neck. And this morning, I was more comfortable than I've been all week. My last oxy's were last night. There is now hope. Then I go for first PT session. She was gently with me. Then as I leave the hospital, my shoulder woke up. In short order I was pounding away a 6/7 on the pain scale. My wife took me to McDonalds for breakfast on the way home. I hurt so bad I didn't even want to eat. Got home and took 2 oxy's. And two tylenol. Put on the ice machine and tried to sleep. Adjusted the sling to find a neutral position that I never found. By then, my pain is an 8. Can't say 9 or 10 cuz the pain scale says nobody survives that much pain. Now I'm thinking maybe the nerve block had been working better than I gave it credit for all week.

I'm rambling in not necessarily one direction, or in any order of events.

Three hours later, I'm dominated by this pain. Took two more oxy's. I know I took them, because I've now got the itchies, and no Benedryl to calm that side effect. A few short cat naps, but no real sleep. My pain right now, when in a neutral position is a six or seven. That's an improvement, but I'm still miserable. I don't know if the PT artist stirred something up to cause all this pain, or if it's been there all along, and the nerve block was hiding it more than I knew.

Awful dreams all week. And when I woke up the dreams were still playing.

I've been warned by previous recipients of shoulder surgery what to expect. I knew they wouldn't fib to me. This week reinforced their warnings.

I learned another thing today.. I expected to have the rotator cuff re-attached. And a decompression of something else which I can't remember the name. What I didn't know, was my bicep was also torn and it had to be sewed back together.

If you don't pay any attention to my whining, it was a good week.

WAYNO.

Who am I? What am I? Where am I? This has been an eventful week, although I do not care to recall some of it. Most of the week I have been in tremendous discomfort. For whatever reason, there have been short periods of relative comfort. Just the right combination of nerve block, oxy, tylenol, cold machine, and benedryl. Nerve block? I've had it previously on a legs and arms, and it was extremely effective. This new fangled On-Q nerve block, where you can keep it going after you leave the hospital, not as effective as I'd hoped. There were times when I had complete numbness of my forearm and fingers, but my shoulder was still pounding in agony. This morning I woke up in my chair, and my On-Q ball was empty. No more nerve block. So I shut it off and disconnected the ball from the catheter. I was glad to get all that weight from around my neck. And this morning, I was more comfortable than I've been all week. My last oxy's were last night. There is now hope. Then I go for first PT session. She was gently with me. Then as I leave the hospital, my shoulder woke up. In short order I was pounding away a 6/7 on the pain scale. My wife took me to McDonalds for breakfast on the way home. I hurt so bad I didn't even want to eat. Got home and took 2 oxy's. And two tylenol. Put on the ice machine and tried to sleep. Adjusted the sling to find a neutral position that I never found. By then, my pain is an 8. Can't say 9 or 10 cuz the pain scale says nobody survives that much pain. Now I'm thinking maybe the nerve block had been working better than I gave it credit for all week.

I'm rambling in not necessarily one direction, or in any order of events.

Three hours later, I'm dominated by this pain. Took two more oxy's. I know I took them, because I've now got the itchies, and no Benedryl to calm that side effect. A few short cat naps, but no real sleep. My pain right now, when in a neutral position is a six or seven. That's an improvement, but I'm still miserable. I don't know if the PT artist stirred something up to cause all this pain, or if it's been there all along, and the nerve block was hiding it more than I knew.

Awful dreams all week. And when I woke up the dreams were still playing.

I've been warned by previous recipients of shoulder surgery what to expect. I knew they wouldn't fib to me. This week reinforced their warnings.

I learned another thing today.. I expected to have the rotator cuff re-attached. And a decompression of something else which I can't remember the name. What I didn't know, was my bicep was also torn and it had to be sewed back together.

If you don't pay any attention to my whining, it was a good week.

WAYNO.

Wow, a week off, sounds like a great time to binge--Get some alcohol and drink until you just don't care

Do the PT;).

I had to skip the first week and possibly because of not moving much I developed that DVT in my calf and it hurt more then the knee does now that the DVT is on its way to under control.

Hope your shoulder starts to feel better soon!

Just to double check are you taking oxys that's say 5/325 or 7.5/325?

Or are they straight 5mg or more of straight Oxy?

If it's the first one then the second number is already Tylenol. Figure your on top of things but I just wanted to double check for ya. That stuff will kill your liver:(.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top