JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK folks,
Have a question for you. A friend of mine has just shot is new Kimber 45. All of the cases, after being fired, have a burned section on the outside of the case! He is concerned that this may not be normal. It does not occur when shooting the same batch of rounds through his other 45. The rounds he is shooting are factory reloads. I have attempted to take a photo, unfortunately the batteries just died and I don't have any others. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
James

IMG_0865_434x480.jpg

This is most likely from low pressure loads, and there was insufficient pressure to expand the shell case and seal the chamber. I would try some hotter or +p ammo if the cases are still burnt, the breech maybe unlocking to soon.

This is most likely from low pressure loads, and there was insufficient pressure to expand the shell case and seal the chamber. I would try some hotter or +p ammo if the cases are still burnt, the breech maybe unlocking to soon.

Yep, could be what he said. Low pressure round, unlocking too soon, or the chamber was not cut properly. Most from what I find, is the gun unlocks too soon.

Well 'sooty' is different from 'burnt'...the pic isn't very clear.....

When reloading, try starting out right in the middle of the recommended powder load for your bullet...if slide locks back, slide picks off and feed rounds all the time, no feed or ejection issues...then take a look at the case....

Thanks for all the replies folks! These are factory reloads, not his own reloads and it only happens on the Kimber, not his other. Which if i remember correctly he said was a Sig....
James

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads