JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was in a hurry put around 300 cases of 5.56 in my fart lite. Wanted to try Dawn and lemi shine instead of the normal packs. Used a couple squirts of dawn and less then a teaspoon of lemi shine. Brass was perfect when I rinsed it but now looks like burnt bronze? Is it just a annoying color thing, I'll resize it tomorrow might run it through again if I can improve the color.

Another vote for using a very small amount of Lemishine. It turned a few loads of my brass a pink hue because I used too much.
The color of yours will not matter regarding function, I would reload it, shoot it and just use less next time.

I've ran into this with Remington UMC brass the most. Something is definitely different metallurcially about it. Also some Hornady and Weatherby will develop spots and almost eat itself. Anyway, I only use a 10mm brass full of lemishine for a 3/4 + full large fart load.

Try again with less lemishine.

My rule of thumb is a 9 mm case of Lime-Shine, that's all you need.
This is my concoction but I do not always use the car wax.

C2994D2C-E72B-4104-BEB3-D97FE8DC285C.jpeg

Update, resized the brass and tumbled again and brass looks better then new. Lesson learned thanks for the info. Now I get to trim it all.

I was having some problems with wet-tumbled brass (using Dawn and Lemi-Shine) tarnishing after a couple of months in storage.

When I dry tumbled, the brass polish I put in the dry media stayed on the brass and kept it from tarnishing.

My research pointed to the wet-tumbled brass NOT having any protective coating left on it after wet-tumbling, thus increasing the chance it would tarnish. The recommendation was to ad some liquid car polish / wax to the tumbler with the Dawn and Lemi-Shine (as @Caveman Jim recommends above). The polish leaves a coating on the brass to protect it from oxidation.

Seems to work - at least for me.

Question on the car wash polish, does it leave a residue that powder will stick to? On my Dillon I like to check powder every 15 cases or so.

I was having some problems with wet-tumbled brass (using Dawn and Lemi-Shine) tarnishing after a couple of months in storage.

When I dry tumbled, the brass polish I put in the dry media stayed on the brass and kept it from tarnishing.

My research pointed to the wet-tumbled brass NOT having any protective coating left on it after wet-tumbling, thus increasing the chance it would tarnish. The recommendation was to ad some liquid car polish / wax to the tumbler with the Dawn and Lemi-Shine (as @Caveman Jim recommends above). The polish leaves a coating on the brass to protect it from oxidation.

Seems to work - at least for me.
When wet cleaning it's all about using the right amount of ingredients. I cleaned a lot of brass the last two years and finally figured it out to be hot water, 3 laps with the Dawn, a 9mm case of Lemi-Shine and 3) 35mm film containers full of liquid car wash/wax running it 1-1/12 hours max.
Rinse with cold water then run them through a media separator to get the excess water from the inside aids in less drying time.

For pistol cases I use the wash/wax because it makes it easier to size, even with the high end precious metals sizing dies of today.
Rifle cases don't get the wash/wax since they are already processed, including primed before they hit a loading press. ;)

I use Armor All Wash & Wax. After handling a few hundred rounds with rubber gloves on, you can feel the slick. I have brass that's been tumbled for over 2 years and it is slightly darker, but still shiny. Kind of like store bought ammo.

I too use Dawn & Lemi-Shine.

I had similar problems in that after a short time the brass would be dull.

Then I discovered if I rinse my newly tumbled brass in hot water, many times, the problem is solved.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top