JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here's something to read about 9mm Parabellum revolvers. We've had a few people asking about these revolvers in the not too distant past.

I've owned several S&W revolvers chambered in 9mm P, and one Ruger. I've never encountered this issue myself. But I don't load to top end, either. Nor did I shoot factory 9mm ammo in them. Obviously it's happened, based on information in the article. And stands to reason because that's what the roll crimp is for on most rimmed revolver cartridges. However, I've never seen a cannelure and roll crimp on a .45 Auto Rim cartridge. Maybe because those are low enough velocity so as not to present this problem.

If you're handloading 9mm for revolvers, you'd want to make sure you had good brass that held the seated bullet well. Or if you were really concerned about the possibility, you could use just a taste of that primer sealer to cement the bullet in place. Without going nuts with the sealer. Lots of service ammo used to have seated bullets sealed in place with asphalt. 30-06, 7.62mm NATO and .45 ACP. So that may allay any thoughts about a sealed in bullet raising pressures inordinately. Probably a sealed in bullet doesn't raise pressures any more than a heavily crimped bullet.

I have experienced both bullet creep and crimp jump using factory ammo in my (very light) Ruger LCR 9mm revolver.

I first discovered the problem after firing a four-round drill using factory Blazer Brass ammo. The projectile of the unfired 5th round was completely unseated during those four shots; it simply dropped to the ground as soon as I opened the cylinder to reload for the next drill. American Eagle ammo held up better (meaning none of those projectiles fell out onto the ground).

A few weeks after that experience, I tested a few different brands of 9mm factory ammo in my LCR revolver, blackening the crimp area of each round with a permanent marker to make any bullet creep very evident. It was a slow process to shoot & inspect the remaining rounds, then shoot & inspect again, and so on. Regardless of ammo brand, some bullet creep was evident after just one shot, and each successive shot caused a bit more creep. There was never enough creep to obstruct cylinder rotation, and none of the projectiles were completely unseated during these tests. (I did not include any Blazer Brass ammo in this experiment because I already knew how that would go ;) ).

When I saw "bullet jump" I was imaging the jump to the forcing cone, not the bullet coming out of the case due to recoil. I know that as "bullet creep".
The jump to the forcing cone is the reason for the super short cylinder on some of the larger framed Ruger competition revolvers.

I don't own a 9mm revolver, but since it seems like the 9mm round can be prone to having the bullet move because of recoil, I'd sure test the ammo I planned on carrying!

. . . . I don't own a 9mm revolver, but since it seems like the 9mm round can be prone to having the bullet move because of recoil, I'd sure test the ammo I planned on carrying!
My thought exactly, but it led me to conclude that I'd never trust my LCR9 enough for EDC. Range gun, then? Nope, so small and light it's downright unpleasant to shoot after 15-20 rounds. I'd offer it for sale, but I really don't dislike anyone that much.

ARX 9mm rounds

The ARX bullet is a frangible, made of some kind of powdered copper/polymer compound. Could be those present more friction against the cartridge case when seated. More than smooth copper, anyway. Just a guess.

Ruger no longer markets the ARX line. It's made by Inceptor and that company sells loaded ammo and component bullets that are like the Ruger branded product.

The ARX bullet is a frangible, made of some kind of powdered copper/polymer compound. Could be those present more friction against the cartridge case when seated. More than smooth copper, anyway. Just a guess.

Ruger no longer markets the ARX line. It's made by Inceptor and that company sells loaded ammo and component bullets that are like the Ruger branded product.
I had 2 conflicting thoughts.
The bullets are light, extremely light, so maybe inertia wouldn't have as much to act on?
But , the polymer may actually degrade differently in typical carry conditions (moisture from proximity to the body being one) causing loss of tension in case neck.
I'm never carrying that one revolver anyway so it's all just postulation.

I should mention, Lee makes undersize sizing dies. For sure they make them in 9mm. This might be some help in tightening up 9mm brass.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top