JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The thread "Bullet Mass vs. Velocity" (http://www.northwestfirearms.com/general-firearm-discussion/86048-bullet-mass-vs-velocity.html) reminded me of a similar question I have pondered for a long time.

It concerns bullet mass and speed. How do you (you, yourself, not the manufacture's advertising) determine which cartridge will have the greatest terminal energy at a given distance. Impact energy is determined by mass and speed at impact. I don't want to get into penetration and bullet shape and all that.

I just want to know how to determine which will have the greatest impact energy. There should be some sort of simple formula. For an example, A 230 grain bullet traveling at 750 ft. per second equals X (some number). A 115 grain bullet traveling at 1000 ft. per second = Y.

What is the impact energy in say pounds for the different bullets and speeds? :huh:

Thanks, Ed
Oh - And how do you get the new spell checker to work??? Clicking on it does nothing (for me).:confused:

The thread "Bullet Mass vs. Velocity" (http://www.northwestfirearms.com/general-firearm-discussion/86048-bullet-mass-vs-velocity.html) reminded me of a similar question I have pondered for a long time.

It concerns bullet mass and speed. How do you (you, yourself, not the manufacture's advertising) determine which cartridge will have the greatest terminal energy at a given distance. Impact energy is determined by mass and speed at impact. I don't want to get into penetration and bullet shape and all that.

I just want to know how to determine which will have the greatest impact energy. There should be some sort of simple formula. For an example, A 230 grain bullet traveling at 750 ft. per second equals X (some number). A 115 grain bullet traveling at 1000 ft. per second = Y.

What is the impact energy in say pounds for the different bullets and speeds? :huh:

Thanks, Ed
Oh - And how do you get the new spell checker to work??? Clicking on it does nothing (for me).:confused:

Hornady.com - Accurate, Deadly, Dependable - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc they usually have a foot per pounds evaluation chart at certain distances for most of their ammunition. Along with other info. They also have a page for a calculator where you can put in your own numbers.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top