JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The thread "Bullet Mass vs. Velocity" (http://www.northwestfirearms.com/general-firearm-discussion/86048-bullet-mass-vs-velocity.html) reminded me of a similar question I have pondered for a long time.

It concerns bullet mass and speed. How do you (you, yourself, not the manufacture's advertising) determine which cartridge will have the greatest terminal energy at a given distance. Impact energy is determined by mass and speed at impact. I don't want to get into penetration and bullet shape and all that.

I just want to know how to determine which will have the greatest impact energy. There should be some sort of simple formula. For an example, A 230 grain bullet traveling at 750 ft. per second equals X (some number). A 115 grain bullet traveling at 1000 ft. per second = Y.

What is the impact energy in say pounds for the different bullets and speeds? :huh:

Thanks, Ed
Oh - And how do you get the new spell checker to work??? Clicking on it does nothing (for me).:confused:

The thread "Bullet Mass vs. Velocity" (http://www.northwestfirearms.com/general-firearm-discussion/86048-bullet-mass-vs-velocity.html) reminded me of a similar question I have pondered for a long time.

It concerns bullet mass and speed. How do you (you, yourself, not the manufacture's advertising) determine which cartridge will have the greatest terminal energy at a given distance. Impact energy is determined by mass and speed at impact. I don't want to get into penetration and bullet shape and all that.

I just want to know how to determine which will have the greatest impact energy. There should be some sort of simple formula. For an example, A 230 grain bullet traveling at 750 ft. per second equals X (some number). A 115 grain bullet traveling at 1000 ft. per second = Y.

What is the impact energy in say pounds for the different bullets and speeds? :huh:

Thanks, Ed
Oh - And how do you get the new spell checker to work??? Clicking on it does nothing (for me).:confused:

Hornady.com - Accurate, Deadly, Dependable - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc they usually have a foot per pounds evaluation chart at certain distances for most of their ammunition. Along with other info. They also have a page for a calculator where you can put in your own numbers.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top