Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Bulk .380 Question

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by m'kay13, Aug 28, 2008.

1. m'kay13

m'kay13 Boardman, OR Member

I am purchasing 1,000 rounds of budget ammo for a .380 and need some help deciding between the two cheapest options I have found.

The ammo will be used for plinking while I break-in/test a new LCP. I will also be trying "carry ammo" options as well, but that stuff is a little spendy at the 1,000 round mark.

These are my options
    1,000 rounds of Wolf 95gr(I have heard bad things too) from ammoman.com for $199 delivered.

Factory reload 100gr from buyammo.com
    for $208.79 delivered.

So, which do you guys recommend? Have experience with?

2. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I sure wish I could afford a thousand rounds of .380 to practice with my P3AT.

3. m'kay13

I can't afford it, but I'm giving something up so I can budget it.
    I'm not down to recycling toilet paper . . . yet.

4. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

1000 rounds is alot of practice in a p3at or lcp. lol.

5. m'kay13

Yes it is. I shot my new LCP yesterday and I can't say that I'll be shooting a high volume of rounds through it per outing. I fired 12 mags (Blazer and Golden Saber) through the LCP yesterday and I can feel it today. Anyways, I want 1,000 rounds because I would like to "torture test" the gun (and spend some range time with the gun I bet my life on).

PhysicsGuy,
    Have you shot Wolf steel case through your P3AT?

6. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I gotta agree, I don't know if I could put 1,000 rounds through my little firecracker (P3AT).

7. m'kay13

Wow, I have to say that this is the first time I have seen posts on a forum that don't encourage hoarding/buying in bulk. Well, I don't think 1,000 rounds is ridiculous when I crunch the numbers. I probably won't be the only person pulling the trigger every time the gun goes to the range.

Oh, and I wear shooting gloves, which seemed to help yesterday, but my hands still feel it. Which is good, let's you know you are alive and gives me something to think about while I waste away a Saturday at work.

50 trips to the range
    20 shots per trip
    =1,000 rounds

To answer my own question, I went with the reloads and skipped on the steel case Wolf.

8. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

I havent ever used the wolf stuff. Yeah I guess it is only about a years supply at one trip per week. I just go through much more 9mm and .45 so I usually buy those in bulk.

9. m'kay13

I just put 160 rounds through the LCP today. My trigger finger got beat up pretty badly, but I switched my finger position (held lower on trigger) and the problem went away. I shot Blazer and UMC without a hiccup. The LCP does shoot about 3" low and 3" to the right. I'm not too happy about that.

I also shot a box of hot .357 loads through my model 65 and they were more punishing then the LCP's recoil.

10. jib

jib Central OR Active Member

For buying bulk ammo it's nice to try before you buy, I have found that Wolf is common were I live so I would get 50 and see if I like it. I also frequent gun shows you can come across some harder to find brands there that may be available in bulk for less some where else. I don't have a .380acp but I do have a 9mm Makarov I don't like Wolf but I do like Brown Bear, S&B and Fiochhi, for good 9x18 bulk ammo. But 9x18 is no longer cheap:( I have saved all the brass boxer primed cases and I'm looking for dies.

11. markw76

markw76 Portland/Moscow on the Willamette Member

Check Sportsman's Guide also. They often have ammo cans full of bulk reloads fairly reasonable. No personal experience with that. You might still try Wolf: some of their loads are reportedly a bit on the light side, possibly ideal for your kind of break-in shooting. 3 inches in any direction is about par, especially for pocket guns. My BHP is 3 inches left at 50 feet. I just shoot for the left nipple.