JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am purchasing 1,000 rounds of budget ammo for a .380 and need some help deciding between the two cheapest options I have found.

The ammo will be used for plinking while I break-in/test a new LCP. I will also be trying "carry ammo" options as well, but that stuff is a little spendy at the 1,000 round mark.

These are my options
1,000 rounds of Wolf 95gr(I have heard bad things too) from ammoman.com for $199 delivered.

Factory reload 100gr from buyammo.com
for $208.79 delivered.

So, which do you guys recommend? Have experience with?

Yes it is. I shot my new LCP yesterday and I can't say that I'll be shooting a high volume of rounds through it per outing. I fired 12 mags (Blazer and Golden Saber) through the LCP yesterday and I can feel it today. Anyways, I want 1,000 rounds because I would like to "torture test" the gun (and spend some range time with the gun I bet my life on).

PhysicsGuy,
Have you shot Wolf steel case through your P3AT?

Wow, I have to say that this is the first time I have seen posts on a forum that don't encourage hoarding/buying in bulk. Well, I don't think 1,000 rounds is ridiculous when I crunch the numbers. I probably won't be the only person pulling the trigger every time the gun goes to the range.

Oh, and I wear shooting gloves, which seemed to help yesterday, but my hands still feel it. Which is good, let's you know you are alive and gives me something to think about while I waste away a Saturday at work.

50 trips to the range
20 shots per trip
=1,000 rounds

To answer my own question, I went with the reloads and skipped on the steel case Wolf.

I just put 160 rounds through the LCP today. My trigger finger got beat up pretty badly, but I switched my finger position (held lower on trigger) and the problem went away. I shot Blazer and UMC without a hiccup. The LCP does shoot about 3" low and 3" to the right. I'm not too happy about that.

I also shot a box of hot .357 loads through my model 65 and they were more punishing then the LCP's recoil.

For buying bulk ammo it's nice to try before you buy, I have found that Wolf is common were I live so I would get 50 and see if I like it. I also frequent gun shows you can come across some harder to find brands there that may be available in bulk for less some where else. I don't have a .380acp but I do have a 9mm Makarov I don't like Wolf but I do like Brown Bear, S&B and Fiochhi, for good 9x18 bulk ammo. But 9x18 is no longer cheap:( I have saved all the brass boxer primed cases and I'm looking for dies.

Check Sportsman's Guide also. They often have ammo cans full of bulk reloads fairly reasonable. No personal experience with that. You might still try Wolf: some of their loads are reportedly a bit on the light side, possibly ideal for your kind of break-in shooting. 3 inches in any direction is about par, especially for pocket guns. My BHP is 3 inches left at 50 feet. I just shoot for the left nipple.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top