JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well my AR-15 is almost complete, had to take it into the local gun shop to have them install the barrel and hand guard (would have rather done it myself but the vise block is on the way for future needs).

So all i need now before i take this thing out to the range is a good sight. I thought about iron sights but i feel Red Dot would be better in the long run for me. My budget would preferably be around $100 although if that's impossible to get anything decent then i suppose i can wait a week or two and grab something from Vortex for around $200.

So any ideas on what brands/specific sights i should look at? First build by the way so nothing crazy is needed :)

Vortex Strikefire II. I got mine for $180 and love it. In fact, I think there is one in the BST section for even less. You can also look at TruGlo and UTG but they are definitely questionable in the longevity department.

Buy once, cry once. Great red dots can be found for around $200, but if you buy a $70 truglo that belongs on a pellet gun, you might as well burn your cash instead.

Well my AR-15 is almost complete, had to take it into the local gun shop to have them install the barrel and hand guard (would have rather done it myself but the vise block is on the way for future needs).

So all i need now before i take this thing out to the range is a good sight. I thought about iron sights but i feel Red Dot would be better in the long run for me. My budget would preferably be around $100 although if that's impossible to get anything decent then i suppose i can wait a week or two and grab something from Vortex for around $200.

So any ideas on what brands/specific sights i should look at? First build by the way so nothing crazy is needed :)
WTS/WTT OR - vortex strikefire 2

Ditto on the Vortex, StrikefireII! Red/Green dot, 7,000 hours on minimum power, co witness of MagPul type iron sights! These are just very well made! Fit and finish were a real surprise for me! :D I paid $135 on sale at Cabelas.

Have to echoe everyone, Vortex is the best bang for the buck. If you're okay with used search the sights classified section here or check ebay. Vortex warranty applies to new or used items :cool:.

Last Edited:
Well i guess i'm going Vortex Strikefire 2 then :p seems to have been endorsed by the firearm gods themselves. Gonna keep my eyes on the ads here and hopefully a online sale. Anyone know off the top of your head if that elevated mount is the only option or if you can get one that sits on the rail?

Well i guess i'm going Vortex Strikefire 2 then :p seems to have been endorsed by the firearm gods themselves. Gonna keep my eyes on the ads here and hopefully a online sale. Anyone know off the top of your head if that elevated mount is the only option or if you can get one that sits on the rail?
Elevated is what comes with it. Allows cowitness with magpul sights. I am sure you could purchase a different mount for it.

You can get it either way, but why would you want a low profile mount? No co-witness, no bueno. Remember, a BUS system is needed when using red dots. Batteries fail. Electronics fail. I added a set of BUS to my last build in hopes I'll never need them.

You can get it either way, but why would you want a low profile mount? No co-witness, no bueno. Remember, a BUS system is needed when using red dots. Batteries fail. Electronics fail. I added a set of BUS to my last build in hopes I'll never need them.
Having never owned (Or shot) an AR-15 before i'm just under the assumption i might prefer it to be more "compact" with my optics instead of having a tower on top of my rail. With the feedback i'm seeing so far however i'm probably just an idiot and i will end up loving the taller rail mount for functionality.

Having never owned (Or shot) an AR-15 before i'm just under the assumption i might prefer it to be more "compact" with my optics instead of having a tower on top of my rail. With the feedback i'm seeing so far however i'm probably just an idiot and i will end up loving the taller rail mount for functionality.

Hold your rifle in a natural shooting stance, and you will find that your eye wants to look higher than just above the rail. For red dot/CQB rigs an elevated mount is a must. Especially if you have a front sight gas block.

I know this might be a little over budget for you but you would save so much money in the long run by picking up a Vortex Strike Eagle. It has the ability to operate with the illuminated reticle at 0 magnification as a dot sight but will also give you the option to reach out and touch things very effectively with 223/556 at 300 meters with the 6x magnification. Just got my Strike Eagle a few months ago and made me wonder why anybody would ever waste money on a red dot when they could get the VSE for about $100 more. It's a great optic. The only reason I could justify getting a red dot instead was if you wanted to save a few ounces in the weight difference. The weight difference is negligible for me. Just my 2¢.........

Well, if you already made your choice... I was going to +1 the Primary Arms Micro-Red-Dot. I have a few of them, they've been pretty good in the time I've owned them (>1yr) I went with those instead of the vortex because they were smaller, lighter, and didn't chew up as much vision space. I think they're on amazon for about $90. IIRC Holosun makes the sight for PA.

Only thing I would recommend if you're mounting it on a flat-top is about a 3/4"-1" riser. I originally had one mounted on an RRA "Tactical Mount" and it had a perfect lower 1/3 co-witness, with the 1" riser it's too high for that.

Here's a link to an arfcom thread with pretty much my exact sight set-up: Picture request (Rock River Arms carry handle) - AR15.Com Archive

I've since gone over to a P223 3x scope. I'm seriously considering one of the spendier AR/M4 optics like the TA31, but I'm not ready to commit. If you do go with something like the P223, finding a mount is really really really difficult, and the stock P223 base nikon sells is horrible.

Well, if you already made your choice... I was going to +1 the Primary Arms Micro-Red-Dot. I have a few of them, they've been pretty good in the time I've owned them (>1yr) I went with those instead of the vortex because they were smaller, lighter, and didn't chew up as much vision space. I think they're on amazon for about $90. IIRC Holosun makes the sight for PA.

Only thing I would recommend if you're mounting it on a flat-top is about a 3/4"-1" riser. I originally had one mounted on an RRA "Tactical Mount" and it had a perfect lower 1/3 co-witness, with the 1" riser it's too high for that.

Here's a link to an arfcom thread with pretty much my exact sight set-up: Picture request (Rock River Arms carry handle) - AR15.Com Archive

I've since gone over to a P223 3x scope. I'm seriously considering one of the spendier AR/M4 optics like the TA31, but I'm not ready to commit. If you do go with something like the P223, finding a mount is really really really difficult, and the stock P223 base nikon sells is horrible.
Is cowitness generally a good idea with red dots? I got the impression it helps but red dots dont need them as much. Not sure how much truth there is to that

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top