JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sorry, but threading a lever gun is just so wrong.

Old man and my grumpy get off my lawn is showing.

So I take it this is a no then? ;);):D:D:D

C29CC53B-7F44-4B51-8118-76E2DB6EACD0.png

Theodore Roosevelt had a Winchester model 1894 with a Maxim Silencer...so there is that.
Granted it was TR and the rifle in question had a "button magazine" , or a 3/4 magazine....don't rightly remember which at the moment.
Andy

So... maybe a weird question, and kinda directed to @CountryGent.

Has anybody threaded the barrel of a "tube loader" (Henry) and still be able to load without removing the can or whatever the heck else might be on there

I was researching a henry steel .38/.357 carbine model to have threaded for a suppressor before I ended up with the Marlin 1894 CST. I found a youtube video Suppressed Henry .38/.357 where a guy had one threaded and a 3 lug adapter mounted to be able to remove the suppressor to reload. Getting out the oven mitt each time to remove the can and reload didn't sound like something I was interested in doing, so I opted to go with a Marlin. My dad has a Henry steel .44 and it is a nice rifle though, so if it was a side loader, I probably would have more strongly considered it, especially before Marlin started offering the 1894 from the factory threaded (the CST model).

So, your saying TR had no clue either?
Um...No.
Just pointing out , that the idea of a suppressed lever action rifle is not new , nor is something that hasn't been done.

Like anything firearm related....
Just 'cause one does not like it , does not mean that the idea is not without merit...For someone at least.
Andy

Um...No.
Just that the idea of a suppressed lever action rifle is not new , nor is something that hasn't been done.

Like anything firearm related....
Just 'cause one does not like it , does not mean that the idea is not without merit.....
Andy

I got it.

I never said it was without merit. Maybe I should have ben more specific and came out and said there would be no doubt that I think it would be extremely fugly.

I was researching a henry steel .38/.357 carbine model to have threaded for a suppressor before I ended up with the Marlin 1894 CST. I found a youtube video Suppressed Henry .38/.357 where a guy had one threaded and a 3 lug adapter mounted to be able to remove the suppressor to reload. Getting out the oven mitt each time to remove the can and reload didn't sound like something I was interested in doing, so I opted to go with a Marlin. My dad has a Henry steel .44 and it is a nice rifle though, so if it was a side loader, I probably would have more strongly considered it, especially before Marlin started offering the 1894 from the factory threaded (the CST model).

Getting an oven glove out every time I reload doesn't sound great at all, especially since it will likely be a direct thread.

I was thinking maybe with the smaller calibers and narrower cans maybe there was a way to clear the loading rod without removing the can.

I'll probably be looking at my local shops around here to see what I can dig up. Shot a friends suppressed single shot recently....damn what an experience, unfortunately now I just simply have to own my own. Lol

Yes , you should have
Andy

Well I'm at least glad and with your help I was able to make myself perfectly clear.

At least for me anyway I specifically purchase a good portion of my guns not only because they go boom but I also purchase them and anything for that matter because of aesthetic appeal. My lever guns especially which are range only guns and not bush beaters or things I plan on taking on a hunt were purchased with this in mind. and yes to me it just looks wrong.

So... maybe a weird question, and kinda directed to @CountryGent.

Has anybody threaded the barrel of a "tube loader" (Henry) and still be able to load without removing the can or whatever the heck else might be on there

Good question. I've never seen one, but wouldn't be surprised if someone did that. I don't have a tube loader in the battery, but I'd imagine one would have to remove the silencer in order to load.

So I take it this is a no then? ;);):D:D:D

View attachment 644582

Ewwwww ... :s0170:

Theodore Roosevelt had a Winchester model 1894 with a Maxim Silencer...so there is that.
Granted it was TR and the rifle in question had a "button magazine" , or a 3/4 magazine....don't rightly remember which at the moment.
Andy

Indeed:

-Suppressed-94-30-30-for-Varmints-on-Sagamore-Hill.jpg

Two of our lever-actions are threaded for a silencer (one from the factory, one done by a gunsmith). The other three are not. (shrug) Different strokes for different folks.

Well I'm at least glad and with your help I was able to make myself perfectly clear.

At least for me anyway I specifically purchase a good portion of my guns not only because they go boom but I also purchase them and anything for that matter because of aesthetic appeal. My lever guns especially which are range only guns and not bush beaters or things I plan on taking on a hunt were purchased with this in mind. and yes to me it just looks wrong.

You are quite clear...

Ironically I don't really care for a suppressed lever action firearm either...
I was just pointing out that :
It has been done in the past , by no less than Theodore Roosevelt....a fella who liked guns , shooting and hunting.

Also anything that anyone else does with their firearms , is on them...and does not have to conform to my or anyone else's likes or dislikes.

Enjoy the thread , I shall leave you to it.
Andy

It's looking like I just have to see what there is to see out it the wide world of pawnshops and used gun racks amongst all the places that care to be open this weekend. Worse case scenario I end up putting a marlin on layaway or something to that effect.

As soon as I know what I'm getting ill be putting in for my first stamp...kinda excited honestly.

You are quite clear...

Ironically I don't really care for a suppressed lever action firearm either...
I was just pointing out that :
It has been done in the past , by no less than Theodore Roosevelt....a fella who liked guns , shooting and hunting.

Also anything that anyone else does with their firearms , is on them...and does not have to conform to my or anyone else's likes or dislikes.

Enjoy the thread , I shall leave you to it.
Andy

Actually I found that interesting so thanks for bringing that up.

However, I can't help TR had bad taste.:rolleyes:

Shooting with a silencer can be a real delight. Good luck with your project.

P.S. Be aware that silencers are the "gateway drug" to the NFA world. I know it happened to yours-truly.

That's the same thing my friend said as well before I shot it, and then after I shot it and giggled uncontrollably I knew I needed at least one.

That's the same thing my friend said as well before I shot it, and then after I shot it and giggled uncontrollably I knew I needed at least one.

I imagine they are, however if it were me I would pick a different style of rifle to do it on.

However that's your choice and I really do hope you enjoy your gun.

For those who don't like the looks of a suppressor hanging off the end of a lever action rifle (count me included), an integral suppressor might be an option - although I have not seen one (did a google search), I am not sure that it could not be done.

As for threading the barrel - if it is round, the thread cap could be made such that you would not notice it from a distance. Maybe an octagon thread cap could be made that would index properly?

This isn't rocket surgery - it just depends on how much you want to spend and who you get to do the gunsmithing.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top