JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just recently picked up a Rossi R92 in 357/38 and pretty happy with it so far. While far from the prettiest, most refined rifle of its type, it seems solid and reliable, and I'm thinking it will age well. I tend to avoid guns that seem like they might be "too nice" to use heavily.

I've shot Marlin lever guns a LOT in .357mag (new-era) and .44mag (old one). No difference in accuracy, dependability or handling. IMHO, they just get smoother and slicker the more you use 'em.

My Rossi 92 in 45LC was without mechanical problem in several tens of thousand rounds in cowboy matches.

I haven't hit that round count yet on the Rossi 92 in .44 Magnum, but have shot it a good amount with a variety of loads. Lesser so the two .357 Magnums, particularly the SBRed one, which was only was recently wrapped up. But the good point @41mag made can't be overstated; there is something about a simple, reliable, rugged, technology that just works, even with relatively modest maintenance.

I realize cost was part of OP's concern, and I understand and respect that. But for slightly more than a low-budget AR, one can acquire a hard-hitting rifle that will last a lifetime, and most likely one's progeny's too.* I'd be hard pressed to think of many mechanical devices that that can be said of. :)

Winchester 1894 in 30-30 ?

One of my all time favorites. And as a "jack of all trades", one could do far worse. :s0155:

IMHO, they just get smoother and slicker the more you use 'em.

That does seem to be the case. :)

* In my brief sojourn in California, I became acquainted with a regular at our range who was a early middle-aged Mexican-American who routinely shot with a Winchester 1873 in .44/40. One time between shooting I asked to see and I offered for him to see the La Caruña Mauser I was shooting. The Winchester was most certainly well worn and the front sight definitely replaced, but he shot it well in his hands. When we swapped rifles back he remarked "this has been in my family a long time." Even going with the later production, that rifle had been around a few generations. (Alas, not long after that, the woman I was with did bad things, and I had to sell the Mauser. Here's hoping the range friend still has the Winchester, though.) And, enough rambling; eh, it has been a long day, having started early here. Well wishes friends. :s0165:

IMG_20180312_194238.jpg

I still see good deals from time to time on the used racks at some of the gun stores. If you're not picky about the condition of the bluing or stocks, you can get some very reliable shooters for a few hundred bucks.

I still see good deals from time to time on the used racks at some of the gun stores. If you're not picky about the condition of the bluing or stocks, you can get some very reliable shooters for a few hundred bucks.

That's the plan, I'll be hitting up some gun shops here over the weekend hoping for some deals and seeing what there is to see.

As I said before however I'm not exactly holding out high hope for finding anything in pistol caliber, but the best I can do is try.

Agreed, but then again so are the Miroku Winchesters. Face it's not a budget gun but there's just something so right when it comes to the Winchester 1873 .

View attachment 644320View attachment 644321View attachment 644322

Typically I'm not a fan of the bent wrist, that seems to be more subtle and as a whole flows really well with the firearm, and of course the wood looks fantastic.....way way way out of budget :s0058:, but a beautiful firearm nonetheless.

Typically I'm not a fan of the bent wrist, that seems to be more subtle and as a whole flows really well with the firearm, and of course the wood looks fantastic.....way way way out of budget :s0058:, but a beautiful firearm nonetheless.

Thank you sir.

The wood or stock was extremely important to me not only on that one but the others in this next picture as well. The goal was not only to get the right model but the best looking one I could find and afford as well. Smiling when just looking at it and not only when shooting it was my goal.

Winchester From The Henry Rifle To The Winchester 1892.jpg

Thank you sir.

The wood or stock was extremely important to me not only on that one but the others in this next picture as well. The goal was not only to get the right model but the best looking one I could find and afford as well. Smiling when just looking at it and not only when shooting it was my goal.

View attachment 644325

Damn!!! :s0116: Those are all very beautiful rifles. I too am a sucker for good wood, for my coming up purchase however it would simply be impractical as I intend to field it and I am horribly clumsy at times. The likelihood of me messing it up would be too high, and I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I dicked up a beautiful stock.

Damn!!! :s0116: Those are all very beautiful rifles. I too am a sucker for good wood, for my coming up purchase however it would simply be impractical as I intend to field it and I am horribly clumsy at times. The likelihood of me messing it up would be too high, and I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I dicked up a beautiful stock.

Thank you sir.

In this case all of them are strictly intended for range guns only. There was a better 1892 available but it would have been over twice the price from Turnbull. Tempting but over twice the price was a bit more than what I wanted to pay at the time. Still extremely tempting.

So... maybe a weird question, and kinda directed to @CountryGent.

Has anybody threaded the barrel of a "tube loader" (Henry) and still be able to load without removing the can or whatever the heck else might be on there

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top