JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been wanting my second lever gun for quite some time now, and finally have decided to take the plunge...problem is only thing really in my budget looks like either a Rossi or Henry. I don't mind the loading process on the Henry's as my first was a Henry .22. But are they worth that much more than the Rossi's for a first larger Caliber lever?

I'm also unfamiliar with the differences of the model numbers for the Rossi. And not too big a fan of the brass framed of certain Henry's.

Any advice from folks out there thatve gone through this before?

Lately, budget, isn't exactly a word I associate with lever guns in pistol calibers. Even Rossi's, new, are getting closer to $500 vs $400.

At $500-$600 I'd go with the Marlin models or Henry.

I paid less than $400 for my Puma a long time ago. If I could get another at the same price, I'd probably do so. To think, I almost sold it a handful of times. Just couldn't do it.

Howdy-howdy. We have two Rossis and a Marlin. All three have been great. I don't think you'll go wrong with either. Bear in mind, however, Rossi's warranty shenanigans.

spacecowboy1-jpg-jpg-jpg.623751

lever2-jpg.jpg

Good luck. :s0155:

I have/have owned several Marlins and have been satisfied with them, including a couple older ones (Cowboys), and two of the newer production (Remlin) ones. My Dad has a Henry steel (not brass) .44 magnum and it shoots and functions good. I don't have any firsthand experience with the Rossi levers. Every so often, you can find a good deal on the new Marlin 1894 rifles. I picked one up in 45 colt with a manufacturer rebate which brought the cost down to the mid $500 range within the last couple years. Saw some attractively priced 1894 .357 rifles earlier this year. I haven't seen the Henrys for less than mid $600 range. As Reno said, the Rossi has been getting more expensive and it is hard to find them for under $500 anymore. The pistol caliber levers are fun, enjoy!

Last Edited:
Good choices imnsho. My Rossi 92 in 45LC was without mechanical problem in several tens of thousand rounds in cowboy matches. Look also at Uberti 73 clone & Marlins. I've not shot the center fire Henry but the. 22 is magnificent.

Wow gentlemen, lots of feedback and food for thought here, as far as budget goes im Looking at around $5-600ish mark. Preferably without having to mess around with rebates.

I haven't yet seen what selection there is used but for the most part there isn't usually much to be seen around my local area.

What led me to looking at Henry's was basically nostalgia, as it was the first rifle I ever bought and it was simply fantastic from what I remember. And yes I did once launch the loading tube lmao.

I have heard lots of good things about Marlins, but I would like the "wrist" to be straight, not sure if that's the right term. Basically the same as the pair of levers that @CountryGent posted

@Red98422 glad to help. The Marlins will be a tad more than your budget, but not wildly so, from what I've seen, though some variants are almost certainly within that range. The Rossis will be in that zone. Ignoring the potential, likely irrelevant, warranty issues, and considering the style you're after, I'd go Rossi. I've shot the .44 Magnum one a good deal and all I can say is "it just work", which is the highest praise I can give any technology.

Anywho, good luck with your search, and let us know what you decide on. Pics are always fun. Cheers. :)

I have a four-year-old Rossi 92 .357 carbine that was just fine out of the box. Fit and finish were average for a utility rifle, with no flaws. I have polished the action and it is really smooth now!

It threw the empties into "low earth orbit" with the original ejector spring. I got tired of trying to search 1/2 acre areas for reloading brass, so I wound a new spring from lighter wire. It now drops the empties at my feet, which makes the rifle perfect!

A Browning or Winchester modern 1892 will have much better fit and finish, but at a much higher price.

Henry's don't use brass frames, but some have a brass receiver cover.

I'd seen good results for Henry's and own one too, i like their ethos and build quality.

The Henry Goldenboy uses a Brasslite receiver and brass buttplate and barrel band. Love mine. The larger calibers like the Big Boy have solid brass receivers, barrel band and buttplate.

Henry's don't use brass frames, but some have a brass receiver cover.

I'd seen good results for Henry's and own one too, i like their ethos and build quality.
Pretty close. My single shot was almost entirely brass with a steel insert behind the barrel of the action.

In my opinion it really matters what you intend to do with it. I wanted to shoot mine; so... Don't be afraid of used guns, I recently found a Rossi 92 in 44 magnum for just over $200 (2013 vintage with safety in almost new condition). They are a decent reproduction of the Winchester 1892 (which for me was a +) in a caliber that wasn't around when the original was made.
now I have one that I really won't cry over scratches or dings... cause it's never gonna be more than a plinker for me.

In my opinion it really matters what you intend to do with it. I wanted to shoot mine; so... Don't be afraid of used guns, I recently found a Rossi 92 in 44 magnum for just over $200 (2013 vintage with safety in almost new condition). They are a decent reproduction of the Winchester 1892 (which for me was a +) in a caliber that wasn't around when the original was made.
now I have one that I really won't cry over scratches or dings... cause it's never gonna be more than a plinker for me.

Honestly the the thing about used guns is I'm scared nobody's gonna sell me theirs ;) (for reasonable money). Round my parts used guns tend to go for damn near MSRP, and after meeting up, transfer fees ect, your typically only "saving" $25-50 (pretty much the same problem with used glocks) which IMO isn't worth it.

Now the purpose of these lever guns will be "universal" and it would probably be a shorter list to tell you what I won't use them for (safe queens that's the list)

I have a Marlin 1894 pre-safety and a Rossi R92 16" stainless, both 357. I replaced the elector spring on the R92 so the brass stays within walking distance. It also makes the action smoother.

The Marlin has a scope and fills my needs long distances needs. The R92 has never failed me and is my go to rifle for home defense. I know the Marlin is worth a lot more, but I'm not sure which one I'd let go first if pressed to sell one.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top