JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Trying to replicate a GI pistol on the outside. Minus the sights. It'll be for self defense and plinking mostly, just killing two birds with one stone is all.

Budget has been increased which caught me off guard initially.

To be honest the reason I wanted a 70 series was because the slide is what I needed for what I planned to do. All I'd need is a mainspring housing with lanyard loop, checkered grips, and smaller thumb safety (still on the fence about this one).
isn't it funny how the budget just "grows" when you go shopping? I went in to the store with full intentions of getting a Glock 19. Walked out with a 1000 dollar 1911...:D

Yeah, it happens too much it seems. :D

I still don't care for Colt, their 70 series is just closest to what I need without spending too much going the other route.

It finally came in.

image.jpeg

Congrats! Handsome pistol.

I've mentioned this before and probably will again. Depending on how much you use this weapon, those beautiful grips are vulnerable to potential wear and tear. Hogue makes a nice pair of direct fit black rubber jobs for $20 or less. They handle routine use and abuse wonderfully while your factory fresh wooden grips nestle safely in the box.

Congrats! Handsome pistol.

I've mentioned this before and probably will again. Depending on how much you use this weapon, those beautiful grips are vulnerable to potential wear and tear. Hogue makes a nice pair of direct fit black rubber jobs for $20 or less. They handle routine use and abuse wonderfully while your factory fresh wooden grips nestle safely in the box.
Can get Colt double diamond rosewood grips for 20.00 from CDNN Sports website. I just prefer wood and steel...

Good to know Nammac. As a wood & steel guy myself, I cringe whenever I chip or dent the natural furniture on any of my daily shooters. That's a great price, especially for Colt.

And then there's this pair I got for $5 at a gun show 30 years ago. Makes my son keep asking if he's still in my will. LOL.

snake grips.JPG

Last Edited:
Good to know Nammac. As a wood & steel guy myself, I cringe whenever I chip or dent the wood furniture on any of my daily shooters. That's a great price, especially for Colt!

And then there's this pair I found for $5 at a gun show 30 years ago. Makes my son keep asking if he's still in my will. LOL.

View attachment 320616
Those look great. My little Rock Island GI Officers model were sporting a nice set of Ivories until I shot some +P, split the left panel, I have a set of wood coming from Altamont in three weeks or so (They were out of stock and they offered me a refund or to wait, I waited) meanwhile I ordered two different sets from CDNN and they are in the mail now. I remember now people saying be careful with Pearl and they probably said Ivory too, years ago, I forgot, I remember now. The gun came with plain smooth wood panels that are back on the gun now. I don't want to switch panels just to shoot the gun. I want to use them...and look good.

Good to know Nammac. As a wood & steel guy myself, I cringe whenever I chip or dent the natural furniture on any of my daily shooters. That's a great price, especially for Colt.

And then there's this pair I got for $5 at a gun show 30 years ago. Makes my son keep asking if he's still in my will. LOL.

View attachment 320616
Those are some sweet looking grips...

My next set will be Colt double diamond rosewood with the silver Rampant Colt on them...

I ride both sides of the fence with my 1911's grips. My Carry 1911 has a poly grip frame that I hate and I ordered an Aluminum grip frame to replace it with! Once I get a few nights to play with it, I am going to mill down the grip area and fit a set of Colt double diamond gold medallions to it so it looks more like a Classic 1911. Once I get this done, I just need to smooth out all the hard edges and get it Ceracoated that really nice deep rich Colt Blue and it should really stand out then! wm_2161599.jpg

There are functional guns, and there are functional guns that you can like and be proud of. I've learned that one must spend enough money to get into the second category. It's more important than one would think.

I bought a Kimber 1911 back in the days when they first started producing them. In those days they were considered budget 1911's. I've never regretted it, although I wish it was in 9mm. ;)

My wife bought me a Remington 1911 R1S that is a great US made basic 1911. I asked for a Colt Series 70 1911, but she tried.
As long as it shoots. Look on the bright side, with a Colt 70 series you'd be tempted to take off the finish to put on the same finish as the M1911A1 and spent more money getting other parts too. Not that I'm speaking out of personal experience or anything... :rolleyes:

Yes your R1 will do anything a medium priced 1911 will. I thought it was a series 70, but I looked at the manual and see it is a series 80. So it has an additional safety feature, it still shoots good, just a little harder doing a detailed strip down. Well harder reassembling after a detailed strip down is more like it. A couple extra parts to give a klutz like me grief.

No big deal for a submarine guy though

Budget has been increased which caught me off guard initially.

To be honest the reason I wanted a 70 series was because the slide is what I needed for what I planned to do. All I'd need is a mainspring housing with lanyard loop, checkered grips, and smaller thumb safety (still on the fence about this one).
A nice safety is one made by Colt for their New Agent model. The callout for it is:
Safety Lock, New Agent SP54436DB
It costs around $25.00. I was going to use one on my 1911 Clapp rendition I made for Dad but he liked a different one, so I still have it. You used to be able to order parts like that directly from Colt, but I don't see any parts listed on their website. Just a link to Brownells. Maybe someone here knows what's up w/that...

Colt_1918_safety3.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top