JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Honestly, unless you are used to carrying a 1911, id stay with the Glock. There is a big difference between being able to draw and fire under stress then to draw, flick the safety off and fire under stress.

If you are well trained with the 1911, then yes, Springfield is a good choice.

The issue with the Glock is that its a bit wide for my hands. At the range its fine but under stress its a bit of a hassle. I'm also in too deep with the .45 ACP to be able to switch to a 9mm.

Looks like I might need to look for a used Springfield then, unless there's another 1911 in the price range.

I always recommend Rock Island!!! Good Solid 1911 at a good price point and the build quality is getting better all the time, and they all ready come with a few "upgrades" as standard! Good High viz front sight, Match adjustable rear, beavertail grip safety, VZ g10 grips, and a pretty good smooth trigger, all stock out of the box and ready to rock!

I'll 2nd the Rock Island. About $500 NIB.

RockIslandTactical45ACP008.jpg

Then, don't forget to check out the USED M1911s at your local Pawn Shop.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. Going to go around tomorrow at the gun shops and pawn shops to get a rough idea of the prices before I sell my Glock (also gotta wait for the purchase permit anyways).

I had a Rock Island tactical, it ran flawlessly and accurately. Good fit and finish.

My brother has a Metro Arms, it has been excellent as well. I'm no 1911 expert, but my personal experience with these Philippines made 1911's has been great.

My favorite 1911 thus far that I've shot was the Ruger 1911. Felt great in hand, plus just liked the way it looked in polished stainless. They're in the $600 range I believe. Happy hunting, 1911's are great shooters.

The Ruger 1911 is also a nice piece but I prefer the Rock Island Tactical model. Also keep in mind most full size 1911s are pretty heavy and may not be as rugged or up to neglect like a Glock. My RIA 1911 never needed a break in period and ran all ammo.

If I were looking in that price range, Rock Island would be near the very top of the list. I've yet to meet a RI owner that didn't love their gun.

I will also add that I owned a Tisas 1911 I bought from Bud's. Very nice 1911 for under $500 at the time. Very nice quality for the price, completely reliable and accurate.

They have a no-frills model still available for $389:

TISAS Classic 1911-A1 45ACP 5

dont own one but hear nothing but good about RIA guns.

I can tell you though, if your looking for a thinner grip (single stack) get some extra thin grips for the 1911 and the gun will melt in your hand like a custom tailored glove. Look at the slim grips from Ed Brown 1911... <broken link removed>

Also keep in mind most full size 1911s are pretty heavy and may not be as rugged or up to neglect like a Glock.
This was what kept me from making the decision for a while. But at this point I gotta part ways with the Glock 41. Its plenty accurate, and fun to shoot, but its a bit wide for me.

dont own one but hear nothing but good about RIA guns.

I can tell you though, if your looking for a thinner grip (single stack) get some extra thin grips for the 1911 and the gun will melt in your hand like a custom tailored glove. Look at the slim grips from Ed Brown 1911... <broken link removed>
Just a regular grip for a 1911 works more than good enough for me. That's what ultimately lead to me making the decision to switch. Though this is something I'll look into to try out. Can't hurt to try something.

Just a regular grip for a 1911 works more than good enough for me. That's what ultimately lead to me making the decision to switch. Though this is something I'll look into to try out. Can't hurt to try something.
maybe an idea for an upgrade later down the road but I like mine and wish I did that years ago. It also makes it more concealable ever so slightly especially if you get a commander or smaller compact 1911... it doesn't look like much but it does make a difference.

I agree on the grips!!! I have found that a thicker Palm side, and a thinner thumb side really improved the feel with out making the overall grip area too large! Bonus is that you can also use grip width to change point of impact if your sights are square and your still off a bit.

You may want to check out ATI also. They have some 1911's priced under $400. Can't say anything about quality as I've never shot one. I do have 2 Rock Islands, a Para Ordnance and a Ruger SR1911. Surprised at how accurate my Rock Islands are but the Para is my favorite by far. You can get a para ordnance expert commander at cdnnsports.com for $479 or the fullsize for $499.

I am a huge fan of 1911s, but since you are already into .45acp and Glocks, have you thought about a G21SF? I want to shoot one to see if it feels better than my wife's G19 gen3. If you are settled on a budget 1911, I wholeheartedly second the Tisas M1911. I got one from Bud's Gun Shop for $199.00 on Black Friday 2 years ago and it remains my favorite "budget" gun ever.

Good suggestions above.

Not unlike the 10/22, a really cool thing about most 1911's is that you can always customize them later when tastes evolve and funds loosen up. Sorta like accessorizing a GI Joe, without owning a doll!

I agree with your decision to handle a lot of different 1911's at gun shops (and shows) to see what feels the best. You might find a couple of must-have features that'll influence your choice and budget floor. A couple favorites will stand out if you try enough.

Whatever you get, if it has nice wood grips that you want to keep pristine, Hogue makes a sweet black rubber set that's soft, thin and grippy. Takes exactly 2 minutes to swap 'em out and back in again. I've seen them for less than $20.

Last Edited:
I've owned and shot the heck out of a GI standard RIA M1911A1 since 2007 and have found it a very solid piece. I paid just over three c-notes for said, but I don't know what they go for now. For a basic 1911 it has really worked out though.

ria.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads