JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Another experiment, but this one has I think more potential than the 3D printed gas seal experiment. Buck and Ball shotshells, sort of like an improvised musket from the Revolution.

The British did indeed use .69 ball and Jefferson Arsenal sells those cartridges, but it turns out that Continental and militia troops used buck and ball ammunition. George Washington, possibly because of his experience in the French and Indian War, was a proponent of buck and ball ammunition.

Image from that article -- not really pertinent to anything here, but it was interesting and reading about buck and ball is what sparked my curiosity:
bbxray.jpg

I don't own a musket, but I do own a shotgun and I have a box of Hornady 0.490" roundballs that shoot badly out of my fast rifling twist in-line muzzleloader.

I printed some sabots -- they're ugly because of my old worn out printer, but fit the balls and buck snugly. These sabots hold two round balls and three #4 buckshot. The load weighs in at about 416 gr. in total lead, and about 60 gr. for the sabot. In my usual buckshot load, the one I had pressure tested by Precision Industries, I have about 450 gr. of lead and 25 grains of buffer, so this is pretty close to that in weight.

Enough words, pictures:

bandb-01.png bandb-02.png bandb-03.png bandb-04.png bandb-05.png bandb-06.png

Here's short video showing the sabot design:

I shot the first two over the chronograph at 15 yds from the target. Only got one good reading: 1280 FPS. This is consistent with my buckshot readings which are usually in the 1240 to 1260 range and likely to be at a safe pressure (*). The second two I shot at 25 yds and merely moved the chronograph out of the way because I was getting to a time crunch.

Here's the target with the shots marked (for the first shot marked in green, note that one of the 4th shot roundballs oblitterated one of the first shot's buckshot marks -- the green dot in the pink hole represents that shot. Also, on of the buckshot hit right next to the round ball in the first shot -- I could clearly see it in the plywood, I've outlined that green buckshot hole in white): EDIT: oops -- it's a red labeled buckshot that is missing, not pink:

banbTarget.png

(*) when I had my buckshot loads tested, I got 11788 at 25 gr. powder, 11498 psi at 20 gr. of powder and 10576 psi at 19.5 gr. of powder -- I figure my load of 19.8 should be roughly 11,000 psi, which is about 1000 psi less than the max suggested for a 20 gauge, but of course, I'm only guessing and haven't had these buck and balls tested. https://www.randywakeman.com/shotgun_pressures.htm

Last Edited:
Did you recover any of the sabots? I'm curious to see how the plastics faired the heat and pressure.

What material did you print with?

I did but last night I forgot to put that info in the post. Here's the info on the shards I managed to find which wasn't many -- there were 16 sabot petals and I barely found any. What I need to do is get a loud neon colored filament because it's really hard to find small black shards.

I used ABS because it dissolves in acetone and I figured that would be the easiest to clean out if it smeared in the barrel. I didn't notice any plastic fouling though.

I'm thinking the breakage is related to hitting the flakeboard target stand. I was only 15 yds to the target so while it is possible the sabots broke up in the barrel and light pieces managed to fly only 10 yds, I think it is more likely the sabots broke on impact with the board. Also, petal A was basically just below the bullseye (approximately 9" to the right and a couple inches in front of the plane of the target board) and it was bent with a partial break -- if it came out of the gun that way, I don't think it would have flown so straight. But this is only a guess and it is possible some held together and others broke apart on firing.

bandbRecoverdSabot-0.png shardLocation.png bandbRecoverdSabot-1.png bandbRecoverdSabot-2.png bandbRecoverdSabot-3.png

Last Edited:
Always interesting stuff.

I load .535 round lead ball in my 28 gauge NEF single shot. With shotgun bead, it's accurate enough for defensive use. I've got some wads made for this purpose by BPI. Paper targets get two hits for each shot, one from the ball, the other from the wad. 25 yards. I've also loaded #4 buck and steel flechettes in the 28.

I forgot, I also have some of those Traditions Performance "sight in bullets." They are made for muzzle loading rifles. It's a lead hollow point bullet that rides in a thin, plastic sabot. I got some in .50, when placed inside a plastic bird shot cup, they fit perfectly in the bore of the 28 gauge shotgun. I've tried some of these out, they are suitably accurate for self defense.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top