JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Now, here's a good chance to show the TSF (Tillamook State Forest) people that we shooters can be responsible and keep the area clean!!!!! the place is going to have a clean start, so to speak. It was suggested on another thread to, covertly of course, snap a picture of license plates if you could in any way identify someone trashing the place, and make contact with TSF personnel. I don't know if that would do any good but it wouldn't hurt. Maybe a big, semi-weather-proof sign stapled to the existing "Shooting area" sign that states something like........

"WE THE RESPONSIBLE SHOOTERS OF
OREGON ARE WATCHING. CLEAN UP
AFTER YOURSELVES OR YOU WILL BE
REPORTED TO THE AUTHORITIES !!!"

Generally this time of year I would think there are more responsible people in the woods, hard(er) core off-roaders, mushroom hunters and big game hunters. A lot less of the "Camp out beer guzzling trash the world" kind of people.

From all the work they did in the pit it looks like the long gunners might get even MORE range now. And it would sure be nice if they would have made it a better (easier) place for short range, hand gun shooters. what a pain that's been in the past to set up, and remove, targets!

Mike

Maybe people should just sack up a little bit and actually speak to each other about these things rather than being sneaky snakes. Taking secret pictures of license plates and ratting each other out........cmon now.

I've shot at Browns Camp several times over the last month, usually on weekdays. Last time I shot there, the place was so clean I had trouble hanging my targets. I headed up last Friday and found a huge group event. Multiple tables set up, cars spilling up and down the road. I found another place to shoot and came back today. ANOTHER big group, on a Monday afternoon, complete with...the worst litterers of all...shotgunners. I drove past. On my way out a couple hours later, the parking lot was empty. I stopped...and was appalled. Multiple diapers in the parking area, two couch frames in the bit, thousands of shotgun hulls, a pile of gun accessory wrappers, ammo boxes and trash in the middle of the parking lot. It was an absolute disgrace. I picked up was much as my two grocery sacks would haul (I always take a couple for general litter patrol) and drove off, shaking my head in disgust. Does the ODF ever have sanctioned "cleanup days"? Are there any grassroots efforts? People are pigs. End of rant.

Maybe people should just sack up a little bit and actually speak to each other about these things rather than being sneaky snakes. Taking secret pictures of license plates and ratting each other out........cmon now.

LOL. Sounds like you have a bigger sack than me. You go right ahead and confront some of those trashy, littering types, (with firearms no less), and point out the errors of their ways. I'm sure they will appreciate your input!

Sincerely

Mike

Not sure I'm bold enough to "confront" armed folks about their behavior....also, awefully hard to pin any particular trash on any particular group. It just astounds me that people will leave their garbage laying around in a place that is essentially always teetering on the edge of not being available for their use. There are enough folks on here that are more mindful that I think talking with the ODF about having some periodic "clean-up" days might be a useful show of good faith and might create some peer pressure. I'm fairly sure there are half dozen of us who would show up with pickup trucks if the agency would help with some of the logistics...where to dump the trash, maybe push some boulders out of the way to make driving into the pit easier.

I have zero issue with politely introducing myself to neighboring shooters and bringing up trash concerns. In the event someone makes the wrong decision to leave THEIR trash for others to deal with while I'm there I would absolutely rat them out. I would like to see their vehicle towed. Maybe then they might get the message. Go ahead and do nothing and watch all of the new posts about "a place to shoot near..." increase as areas get shut down. The place I shoot is still open:)

Brown's camp is a great range but theres no way i'll go back, too many people acting like morons with no class. Last time i was up there another shooter pointed a shotgun at one of the people i was with (Not threatening just wasnt watching his muzzle direction). I dont know about now but dirt bikes and four wheelers also would come tearing around that corner, I'm sure every one enjoys a face full of dust when you're looking down a scope....

How about using Pittman-Robertson funds to provide garbage pickup at the pit?

For background, handguns/ammo have a 10% tax to support hunting (Pittman-Robertson Act). Half of this tax is required to go to hunter education and public shooting ranges.

Ideally, someone would just have to submit a grant application to ODFW, and arrange garbage service with a local provider. It would not meet their grant criteria for a privately-owned range, but seems like a good use of the funds.

Funds are available through the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife for the construction, development and improvement of non-profit shooting ranges and associated facilities. The grant funding program is managed by the Information and Education Division’s Education Services Section in conjunction with the Shooting Range Development Advisory Committee.

Advisory committee members are appointed by ODFW for two-year terms. Committee members meet annually to review grant applications, determine amounts of grants to awarded, monitor the status of the approved grants, and respond to related issues.

Questions about administration of the Shooting Range Grant Program may be addressed to [email protected] or contact James Reed @ 503-947-6016.

I get so pissed when people don't clean up after themselves...also when I am out hunting especially and I see signs shot up...really? Why waste the ammo?

just curious about whether the range is still open, i heard rumors of an early close due to trash. planning a trip with a couple new shooters and i would hate to get all the plans set just to show up and turn around.

just curious about whether the range is still open, i heard rumors of an early close due to trash. planning a trip with a couple new shooters and i would hate to get all the plans set just to show up and turn around.

I was out to BC just after Xmas and it was open. Not trashed but there was a few things strewn about.

went to BC on new years There were a dozen people shooting at various times. I only brought clay's to shoot at but when I left, brought out 2 garbage sacks of blown apart water bottles. It seemed fairly clean there - no TV's or other appliances / furniture. Mostly some wood, LP canisters and paper targets.

We should all make it a point to bring a garbage sack and pack out more than we bring there. Even better, bring a box of garbage sacks and call a cold range, pass out garbage sacks and have everyone present fill their bag. If you get someone telling you to F.O. and they won't help clean up, snap a picture of them and post it here so we can create a wall-of-shame.... just an idea.

Just was up there today... What a mess. The whole shooting deck was shotgun hulls. Cartridge boxes laying around, plywood, cans, bottles. Waiting for the day it says it says its been shut down. Won't surprise me.

As a shooter and hunter I also love shooting in the outdoors BUT I love nature more. If humans can't keep the area clean then I think they SHOULD close it as much as it hurts me to say.

OR...we all can volunteer to get up there and clean it; post a sign that says clean up or leave then secretly video tape the area. :) Maybe a cam for a live feed online?

My wife and I went out that way yesterday afternoon to try out some new handguns. We didn't need the long range of the Beaver Dam Rock Pit, but thought we'd stop by there first in case the wet weather had kept everyone home on a holiday weekend. No such luck, the parking area was full with no room to back in and set up. I didn't see anything unsafe at first glace, just looked like some fathers and sons having a good time.

We moved on and found an area with about 35 yards maximum range. One of those areas where people have a fire, drink, and destroy the forest. It worked out very well for us and we left with a 6 gallon trash bag full of electronics, cans, glass, paper, large pieces of clay pigeon, and you guessed it - a mess of shotgun hulls. We found maybe 4 pieces of 22lr brass left by others and I couldn't find two of my .45 ACP casings, but we looked hard for them.

On the way home we noticed that the rock pit was less busy, but one young gal was hand tossing clay pigeons while her male companion attempted to blast them with his shotgun. I'm not saying they were not being safe, but I'd not have wanted to be anywhere near them as those pigeons were not getting very far out from the shooting line. As noted above, the shooting area was covered in shotgun hulls so deep you could probably scoop them up with a snow shovel.

As you drive along the roads it is easy to spot areas where people have been shooting by the bright orange litter of clay pigeons and piles of shotgun hulls. I hate it when people say "There aught to be a law against that!" whenever they see people misbehaving, but I feel that reaction inside me when I see these messes. We do have litter laws, but apparently that's not working. So how about this, a $0.05 deposit on shotgun shells? How about a $1 tax per box of bird shot shells and box of clay pigeons that can only be used to fund clean-up of the forest?

How about a $1 tax per box of bird shot shells and box of clay pigeons that can only be used to fund clean-up of the forest?

Bad idea as once you open the doors the taxes and fees will only increase. have you ever seen a tax or fee reduced once it gets in place? Have you ever seen one that did not increase? This idea also helps those who want to restrict firearms by making it too expensive to shoot. Letting them get their foot in the door is a bad idea.

Oh, and people who don't clean up after themselves suck. I don't have a good idea to prevent it, but I do take extra garbage bags with me and pick up after others. That's not even a good answer as it serves to enable them.

Yeah, confronting people at the rock pit sucks. Last year I called out some guy for flagging probably 20 people and myself, rather politely too for having just pointed a rifle at me. He told me to go bubblegum myself and obviously I didnt understand how things worked there. At that point I informed him he was a threat to my safety and if he pointed another gun at anyone I would see it as an act of aggression and take appropriate steps. He and his buddy decided they should leave, good choice. Not sure why people think firearms safety doesn't apply there.

Should unsafe or messy shooters not be held accountable?
I think they should pay for damages and clean up as someone would have to in any residential area.. Just because you're in the middle of nowhere doesnt mean you can shoot what ever you want and leave it there. It jeopardizes everyones rights, and potentially.. Their safety.
While I agree something should be said.. This day and age those new/ irresponsible shooters tend to be the hot headed ones anyhow.

My wife and I went out that way yesterday afternoon to try out some new handguns. We didn't need the long range of the Beaver Dam Rock Pit, but thought we'd stop by there first in case the wet weather had kept everyone home on a holiday weekend. No such luck, the parking area was full with no room to back in and set up. I didn't see anything unsafe at first glace, just looked like some fathers and sons having a good time.

We moved on and found an area with about 35 yards maximum range. One of those areas where people have a fire, drink, and destroy the forest. It worked out very well for us and we left with a 6 gallon trash bag full of electronics, cans, glass, paper, large pieces of clay pigeon, and you guessed it - a mess of shotgun hulls. We found maybe 4 pieces of 22lr brass left by others and I couldn't find two of my .45 ACP casings, but we looked hard for them.

On the way home we noticed that the rock pit was less busy, but one young gal was hand tossing clay pigeons while her male companion attempted to blast them with his shotgun. I'm not saying they were not being safe, but I'd not have wanted to be anywhere near them as those pigeons were not getting very far out from the shooting line. As noted above, the shooting area was covered in shotgun hulls so deep you could probably scoop them up with a snow shovel.

As you drive along the roads it is easy to spot areas where people have been shooting by the bright orange litter of clay pigeons and piles of shotgun hulls. I hate it when people say "There aught to be a law against that!" whenever they see people misbehaving, but I feel that reaction inside me when I see these messes. We do have litter laws, but apparently that's not working. So how about this, a $0.05 deposit on shotgun shells? How about a $1 tax per box of bird shot shells and box of clay pigeons that can only be used to fund clean-up of the forest?

While I hate the idea of an extortion tax like the whole "deposit" idea..
It would deffinitly get our public areas cleaned up in a hurry.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews