JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So the Brown's Camp gravel pit should be cleared of the rock crushing equipment as of today. I've been corresponding with Randy Peterson, and he's stated that as soon as all the equipment is out of the pit it is open for target shooting.

Just in time. I have a new Vepr 54r to test out. :)

Now, here's a good chance to show the TSF (Tillamook State Forest) people that we shooters can be responsible and keep the area clean!!!!! the place is going to have a clean start, so to speak. It was suggested on another thread to, covertly of course, snap a picture of license plates if you could in any way identify someone trashing the place, and make contact with TSF personnel. I don't know if that would do any good but it wouldn't hurt. Maybe a big, semi-weather-proof sign stapled to the existing "Shooting area" sign that states something like........

"WE THE RESPONSIBLE SHOOTERS OF
OREGON ARE WATCHING. CLEAN UP
AFTER YOURSELVES OR YOU WILL BE
REPORTED TO THE AUTHORITIES !!!"

Generally this time of year I would think there are more responsible people in the woods, hard(er) core off-roaders, mushroom hunters and big game hunters. A lot less of the "Camp out beer guzzling trash the world" kind of people.

From all the work they did in the pit it looks like the long gunners might get even MORE range now. And it would sure be nice if they would have made it a better (easier) place for short range, hand gun shooters. what a pain that's been in the past to set up, and remove, targets!

Mike

Also for the people who do pick up trash in the pit take a short drive to the campground and by the out house is a dumpster to put it in, That way you dont have to take it home and fill up your trash can. I worked a check point during my wheelin clubs poker run last weekend and gave a couple guys extra points when i saw they had some trail trash in their trucks.

Oh man! Whenever I see those guys out there on their "Thumpers" while I'm mushroom hunting I get pangs of my trail riding days. I really wish I still had my built Honda XL250, been many years.

RE: Dumpster. They take the dumpster you are referring to out before winter don't they? I don't recall seeing one there when I've taken the wife to use the facilities.

Mike

Took my wife up there to shoot our AR's and get some pistol rounds downrange. THe place is trashed again already - between the piles of cardboard, mountains of shot shell hulls, and plastic bottles. It's been open for a little more than a week now I believe. As the wife & I were pulling gear out of the trunk, some jackwagon driving down the hill stops, hops out of his truck with a hunting rifle, doesn't say a single word to us, and proceeds to start blasting away. Didn't even have the god damned courtesy to ask if we had ear pro on (we didn't.) He was a grade A *** clown. He didn't bother checking the pit to see if anyone was down there, he didn't bother to ASK if anyone was down there, he just started shooting.

As we were cleaning up and leaving, another gentleman arrived, and he was super cool. Asked if it was OK if he set up his targets, didn't just start blasting without checking or anything. Wish more shooters were like him.

I also noticed that at the big gravel mounds before the pit, there were piles of shot shells and broken clay pidgeons all around the "NO SHOOTING" signs. Classic.

This is disappointing... :s0002:

Took my wife up there to shoot our AR's and get some pistol rounds downrange. THe place is trashed again already - between the piles of cardboard, mountains of shot shell hulls, and plastic bottles. It's been open for a little more than a week now I believe. As the wife & I were pulling gear out of the trunk, some jackwagon driving down the hill stops, hops out of his truck with a hunting rifle, doesn't say a single word to us, and proceeds to start blasting away. Didn't even have the god damned courtesy to ask if we had ear pro on (we didn't.) He was a grade A *** clown. He didn't bother checking the pit to see if anyone was down there, he didn't bother to ASK if anyone was down there, he just started shooting.

As we were cleaning up and leaving, another gentleman arrived, and he was super cool. Asked if it was OK if he set up his targets, didn't just start blasting without checking or anything. Wish more shooters were like him.

I also noticed that at the big gravel mounds before the pit, there were piles of shot shells and broken clay pidgeons all around the "NO SHOOTING" signs. Classic.

Geezuz, what is it with shot gunners! At least handgun/rifle shooters leaving brass is something that people will pick up later. And shot gun hulls are the easiest to pick up!

We were there once a couple years ago and a guy pulls up, unloads a shotgun, and a case of ammo and proceeds to blast off every round in the case at the bottles and crud laying there already. He tosses the box and gun back in the car and drives away! Took all of about 15 minutes. Any one going to say something to a yutz like that? I don't think so!

Friggin' pigs!

Remind me to buy my friend in Sandy, OR a case of beer for letting me shoot on his property.
After reading all of these horror stories, I feel like I'm the luckiest guy around for having a close to home and safe gun range.

Huh, I was out there thursday and I swear there wasn't a speck of trash.,....at least that I saw.

Noticed two different people shooting when I rolled by, but I didn't stop to shoot myself. Looks like the back wall might be back 30-50 ft further now. And there are some new piles to put targets up on!

Huh, I was out there thursday and I swear there wasn't a speck of trash.,....at least that I saw.

Noticed two different people shooting when I rolled by, but I didn't stop to shoot myself. Looks like the back wall might be back 30-50 ft further now. And there are some new piles to put targets up on!

When we go there (sometime around 12-1230) there were piles of wet cardboard, plywood, and lots of shot up paper targets right by the parking area itself. There were also a bunch of shotgun hulls there. Then walking down from the parking area, if you followed the roadbed, looking left between the first big gravel mound and the boulder piles were a bunch more shot hulls, blasted up plastic bottles, and the remains of a few pumpkins.

Next time we head up that way, I'm taking a bunch of heavy duty garbage bags. We didn't bring extras this time, not anticipating the place being trashed so soon after reopening. :(

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top