JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I went up to the top of Hwy 6 to go shoot today. Got to the quarry, with only one other person there. Nice guy and new to the area (from S Africa).

I was amazed to see what the quarry looked like. Remember what a great job you all did earlier this year cleaning it up? Trash, bottles, boxes, jugs, wood, a pallet, and even a shot up CO2 canister!

IMG_0932.MOV

Mighty sad to see

Would love to see your video but it doesn't show up as a link to anything.

That quarry is always a mess. Too bad. Too many people shoot at that place and not many seem to care how they leave it. It's still an active gravel pit so ODF can't simply turn it over to recreational shooting. If so, we could develop it more with improvements to benefit shooters and people may start appreciating it like they do a the North Fork Wolf Creek lanes.

So, we have to work on promoting stewardship. "LEAVE IT FOR THE PURPOSE IT WAS DESIGNED TO BE! LIKE YOU WERE NEVER THERE! WHEN YOU SHOOT GARBAGE AND LEAVE YOUR TRASH, YOU ARE DAMAGING OUR PRIVILEGE TO SHOOT ON PUBLIC LAND! YOU GIVE ALL OF US A BAD NAME! HELP US RESTORE RESPECT, PRIDE AND STEWARDSHIP BY CLEANING UP YOUR WASTE WHEN YOU PARTAKE IN FREE RECREATION! IF IT'S TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR THEN DON'T GO SHOOTING!" It's not easy to get that message to sink in! It takes a lot more than just a cleanup once in a while.

Thank goodness for Northwest Firearms members who see it and do something about it!

That quarry is always a mess. Too bad. Too many people shoot at that place and not many seem to care how they leave it. It's still an active gravel pit so ODF can't simply turn it over to recreational shooting. If so, we could develop it more with improvements to benefit shooters and people may start appreciating it like they do a the North Fork Wolf Creek lanes.

So, we have to work on promoting stewardship. "LEAVE IT FOR THE PURPOSE IT WAS DESIGNED TO BE! LIKE YOU WERE NEVER THERE! WHEN YOU SHOOT GARBAGE AND LEAVE YOUR TRASH, YOU ARE DAMAGING OUR PRIVILEGE TO SHOOT ON PUBLIC LAND! YOU GIVE ALL OF US A BAD NAME! HELP US RESTORE RESPECT, PRIDE AND STEWARDSHIP BY CLEANING UP YOUR WASTE WHEN YOU PARTAKE IN FREE RECREATION! IF IT'S TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR THEN DON'T GO SHOOTING!" It's not easy to get that message to sink in! It takes a lot more than just a cleanup once in a while.

Thank goodness for Northwest Firearms members who see it and do something about it!
Sorry. Its in a zip file so i have to figure it out. Lets just say maybe 2-3K shotgun shells littered around the top and the bowl just looks trashed. Wish we could get a dumpster up there for the weekends but they'd just haul their home garbage up with them.

Wish we could get a dumpster up there for the weekends but they'd just haul their home garbage up with them.
I'm working on that. Hoping to design a special program where target shooters are authorized to dispose of shooting trash at a specific location(s), yet, not accessible to the general public for household refuse. Not an easy one to figure out but we're hashing out some ideas.

I'm working on that. Hoping to design a special program where target shooters are authorized to dispose of shooting trash at a specific location(s), yet, not accessible to the general public for household refuse. Not an easy one to figure out but we're hashing out some ideas.
Cant believe the quarry people are happy with the situation either.

I went up to the top of Hwy 6 to go shoot today. Got to the quarry, with only one other person there. Nice guy and new to the area (from S Africa).

I was amazed to see what the quarry looked like. Remember what a great job you all did earlier this year cleaning it up? Trash, bottles, boxes, jugs, wood, a pallet, and even a shot up CO2 canister!

IMG_0932.MOV

Mighty sad to see
Here's the video that @Lazyfaire took. I was able to get it on Dropbox so here's the link. You don't need a dropbox account to view so just bypass the account request and view the vid.

Dropbox - IMG_0932.MOV

Me and my buddy just filled the back of his truck on the 3rd of july up past the 1st gravel pit where you can shoot rifle I belive is horse tail rd or horse trail rd there were hundreds of shot shells a basket ball half a matress ot was bad.......

Here's the video that @Lazyfaire took. I was able to get it on Dropbox so here's the link. You don't need a dropbox account to view so just bypass the account request and view the vid.

Dropbox - IMG_0932.MOV

i wanted to tell that guy running the blade when we were there to push those boulders ALL the way to the edge so guys didn't have room to stand in front of them. Shot-gunners are apparently PIGS!

The place was cleaned on April 22nd. What a bunch of slobs!

i wanted to tell that guy running the blade when we were there to push those boulders ALL the way to the edge so guys didn't have room to stand in front of them. Shot-gunners are apparently PIGS!

The place was cleaned on April 22nd. What a bunch of slobs!
Yeah. I was sick the day you all cleaned it up, but I remember how bad it was before. I don't quite understand shotgunners. I own a couple but i don't stand there and shoot off 50 rounds. At what, what's the purpose other than the noise especially from up top. There have to be 1000+ shells up there. If they could get rid of the fist-sized rocks up there and move the larger rocks to the brim at least we could rake up the mess along the way.

These people aren't real gun nuts, they are morons who think they are bad bubblegum because they live in moms basement and will save the world with their Marlin mdl 60, Mossberg 500 pistol grip, and Moisin because that's all they can afford.

is it open or closed? I was there last week and it was still closed. People were still shooting though...
No it is open. Go to Tillamook State Forest >>>Target Shooting and save to your favorites, It will tell you in a Bold Green if it is open or closed

No it is open. Go to Tillamook State Forest >>>Target Shooting and save to your favorites, It will tell you in a Bold Green if it is open or closed
Will save you a long drive. I'm in Tigard so it can be 30-40 min for me.
I wish the state would put a red tag on the message board down by the ODOT lot just in case I am driving by and want to stop.

Tillamook State Forest Blog: Target Shooting

^^Link^^. Currently note that it's showing green/open. I thought that this bears repeating: "Please select your shooting area with care and follow state regulations, which are enforced by local law enforcement. Target shooters are also encouraged to reduce the risk of wildfire, by only shooting into a backstop of mineral soil and having the required fire extinguisher (or shovel and water) ready at hand. After shooting, be sure to check the target area for any signs of fire."

Re #1, main issue after being unsafe, seems to be folks shooting with targets directly on the on trees. Trees are worth a lot of money. A lot of money. If a person chooses to shoot at one, the addition of say, a few M855 5.56 metal rounds when the wood containing that round hits a bandsaw in the sawmill is horrific. Mostly the copper kills trees and the trees are worth a lot of $. They do ticket, rightly so, for this violation. Carrying a cardboard box with a target slapped on it is good, then you can move it where you want it. I haven't carried the fire extinguisher they suggest, but will next time. Those fellas that caused the Clackamas River fire sure could have used one. Or two.

Last Edited:

Man, I just wish people would clean up after themselves!!!!!!!! You don't have to be a member of this place to know the difference between right and wrong. It's just wrong to leave garbage out in the woods and it gives the wrong impression of those of us who enjoy going to our public gravel pits and quarries to enjoy our sport. I love how the members here do their clean-ups. You guys are awesome!!!! I just wish everyone did their part and picked up after themselves and we wouldn't have to do all these clean-ups....

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top