JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is the Elcan worth $2K?
Why?
I haven't looked at an Elcan, but I have swaro binos and a spotting scope. I was at Yellowstone looking at a grizzly bear through the spotter recently, and I could still see long after someone else said it was too dark to see anything in their spotter. You get what you pay for.

Heavy AF but absolutely Bombproof. I'm rockin the specter DR on a SCAR. If you got the guap go get yourself one!

#NoRegerts
xkPLjZHblnu56VYbLxXEcOkVFYZN5EKOon3sRSMezDI.jpg

These optics are nice. I think the cost and weight are a couple things keeping people from buying them compared to other glass out there. I'd like to mount one on my Sig 556 rifle as I shoot it on the bench more than anything, so weight isn't as much of a concern in my opinion. Not many places locally have them as a stock item, so most likely you'd have to order one online or through your LGS.

The only compelling reason I see for an Elcan is if you're a cloner, or a Canadian somehow obligated to "buy Canadian." Everything they do, except for the gimmick of the single-unit tube with adjustments in the mount, somebody else does just as well and lighter, cheaper or both.

It is heavy, but I wouldn't trade mine in. I bought mine lightly used to make myself feel a little better about the cost. The glass itself is exceptional and its been thru a few classes and never failed me regardless of conditions.

AR_Elcan.JPG

All things considered for the price, I'd just get a Kahles 1-6 with a Geissele mount.
One guys opinion on the Elcan.
I went from a Geissele 1.93" to Scalarworks 1.93" back to a Geissele but 2.04", I wish Reptilia would hurry up and come out with 1.93" or taller mounts.

It is heavy, but I wouldn't trade mine in. I bought mine lightly used to make myself feel a little better about the cost. The glass itself is exceptional and its been thru a few classes and never failed me regardless of conditions.

View attachment 1272648
Not that heavy...a Kahles 1-6x24i + Geissele Super Precision Scope 1.93" Mount weighs 25.8oz vs Elcan SpecterDR Optical Sight model 1-4x 5.56 NATO DFOV14-T1 at 23.2 oz.

I'm not a fan of being married to the A.R.M.S. mount so it is a deal killer for me.

The El in Elcan is Ernest Leitz as in Leica. The glass will be absolutely top tier and the cost will be justified. Whether that represents a value to you or not is up to you.

It's only paradise because the tuber is incredibly hawt!
Even a max-size 33' Airstream requires a lot more minimalist/spartan lifestyle than I bet most here, myself included, are up for... just out of curiosity I was perusing their floorplans and there's nowhere secure to store guns/ammo plus the low cargo weight limit.

Even a max-size 33' Airstream requires a lot more minimalist/spartan lifestyle than I bet most here, myself included, are up for... just out of curiosity I was perusing their floorplans and there's nowhere secure to store guns/ammo plus the low cargo weight limit.
......?

Re the "Vehicular Nomad" lifestyle. "Van life" is hard to do even solo, a companion no matter how hawt doubles the challenges, and even upgrading to a full trailer still means cutting out a lot that most folks take for granted.

Some guys here, even the largest Class-A would only do their reloading bench and ammo stash, with a second rig as "rolling gun vault"...

Re the "Vehicular Nomad" lifestyle. "Van life" is hard to do even solo, a companion no matter how hawt doubles the challenges, and even upgrading to a full trailer still means cutting out a lot that most folks take for granted.

Some guys here, even the largest Class-A would only do their reloading bench and ammo stash, with a second rig as "rolling gun vault"...
Appears you have misthreaded :)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads