JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Story on <broken link removed> from our friends at the Brady Foundation:

SEATTLE – A national organization is using Wednesday’s deadly shootings in Seattle to push for new gun laws in Washington state. It says a one word change to the law could have prevented someone like Ian Stawicki, the mentally troubled man who shot and killed five people, from getting a concealed weapons permit.

"There are some people who should not own a gun. It can be a devastating thing,” said Nina Schumacher, niece of one of the victims in the shooting at Café Racer.

"In this case police had no choice but to issue a dangerous person a license to carry loaded guns in public,” said Daniel Vice with anti-gun group the Brady Foundation.

The foundation wants lawmakers to replace a single word in the law which says police agencies “shall” issue concealed weapons permits to qualifying people. They want it to say “may” issue – giving police an option that they may or may not issue a permit.

“Even if a family says this person is a danger don't give them a gun, police in Washington have no choice. In "may issue" states, police have the discretion to say ‘No. This person is a danger they are not going to carry a loaded weapon in public,’" said Vice,

Ian Stawicki had a history of mental problems, but no felonies, so he was legally allowed to buy the weapons from a Tacoma gun shop in February.

The changes proposed by Brady wouldn’t have stopped the gun sale, but denying Stawicki a concealed carry permit would have made it illegal for him to walk around with a gun tucked under his clothes, just as he did Wednesday morning.

"This maniac had possession of guns and killed my brother. It's wrong,” said Linda Albanese.

But that one word won’t be changed in the law books without a ferocious fight. Gun rights advocates say it would give police broad powers to reject concealed weapons permits for citizens who haven’t broken the law.

“If you did that here in Seattle, you'd have a chief who gave out no gun permits. If it becomes discretionary, then people who deserve guns won't get them,” said Alan Gottlieb with the Second Amendment Foundation.

Gottlieb said the Washington state Supreme Court weighed in on the issue decades ago, ruling that police had to issue permits to qualified citizens.

Never let a good tragedy go to waste, eh? This is hardly a benign word change and would result in the arbitrary denial of permits for many residents in the state.

What makes anyone think that this would have prevented a single thing that the said individual did?

He ignored all other laws - he would not have observed an unnecessary additional law.

Makes it seem simple. Why don't we add some negations or remove negations from current laws while we're at it. I can think of a couple like the GCA or NFA to strike from the books in their entirety.

Fortunately, the Brady group, VPC, and other prohibition groups are losing relevance to the general public. You can only tell people the sky is falling so many times with manufactured statistics.

They didn't know he was insane, the only thing that will come of this is racist cops denying minorities simply because of their color.

There is no way to know he was insane, assuming this change to allow police to flip a coin or if they "feel" like it will only mean that if you catch them on a good day you might get your permit.

And besides, if he is going to kill somebody. He could have carried it openly to the gunshop LEGALLY, or he could have kept it under his shirt ILLEGALLY because thats really going to matter in the scheme of things considering he had the plot to murder all these people. The only thing that could have changed things is if everyone in that coffee shop had a gun. How well off would he have been then? Gotten off maybe one magazine before he was gunned down right there.

The typical garbage from the gasbags at the Brady Foundation. Last I checked, murder was illegal (though it seems to be hunting season in Seattle of late...) so the a concealed weapon charge doesn't mean squat to a person intent on committing multiple homicides. The only thing in that sewage I do agree with is that some people shouldn't have a gun- but that is for individuals, and families to decide, and the ability to legally conceal a pistol has nothing to do with it. This wacko shouldn't have owned any guns- but sometimes you just don't know someone's a murderer, until they kill some folks- and now everyone wants to point the finger as to who is to blame. It really is simple- blame the piece of bubblegum gunmen murderer. Would there be a push for a pocketknife ban if he stabbed them? What if he hit someone with a chair? Would there need to be a state mandate all seating apparatus be permanently affixed to the floor? What a joke

What does this "National Campaign" have to do with the rights of the people of Washington?!?!?! They don't live in Washington, Work in Washington and da** sure don't pay taxes in Washington. Washington legislators should politely tell them to go pound sand! Or not so politely!
It is incomprehensible how blind a group of people can be!

Oh you mean like the geniuses in the Peoples Republic of California that deem 90% of all handguns "unsafe" if they hold more than 10 bullets and "assault type rifles" to be "A particularly kind of dangerous weapons" This cop sold guns to friends and now both will do time for possessing guns just like the ones most of us have in our safe. What a horror show. You can't depend on the legislators to do the right thing- ever...

Law: Calif deputy's guns found in criminal hands - Yahoo! News

What does this "National Campaign" have to do with the rights of the people of Washington?!?!?! They don't live in Washington, Work in Washington and da** sure don't pay taxes in Washington. Washington legislators should politely tell them to go pound sand! Or not so politely!
It is incomprehensible how blind a group of people can be!

This horrible deed happened in Washington State a "Shall Issue" state, so it is "Proof" that our system does not work.

If it happens in California it is felon, gang related or a stolen firearm. That way you cannot blame their system because nothing legal was involved such as a shall issue permit holder. So ask them, and they will surely tell you their system works...:huh:

Never let a good tragedy go to waste, eh? This is hardly a benign word change and would result in the arbitrary denial of permits for many residents in the state.
When I went to pick up my first CPL way back when (1983 or so) the deputy held it out, as I reached for it he pulled it back and said "If the law didn't say I had to give these out I wouldn't give any of them out". I had an absolutely clean record and my father had a permit clear back in the 60's.

When I went to pick up my first CPL way back when (1983 or so) the deputy held it out, as I reached for it he pulled it back and said "If the law didn't say I had to give these out I wouldn't give any of them out". I had an absolutely clean record and my father had a permit clear back in the 60's.

Where did this happen?

Where did this happen?

Clark Co Sheriffs office when I got my original permit. Should have been around 1983-84 or so, really don't remember. Do know I got it after my ex girlfriends psychiatrist broke confidentially and called me to tell me she was out to kill me. I knew she was a good shot with the .38 as RO's asked her to go pro. I went and picked the gun up and I've been packing ever since!!

Calls for dismantling Washington’s model state preemption and “shall issue” concealed carry laws in the wake of the Café Racer slayings will likely not gain much traction with the legislature…

<broken link removed>

If you want to stop all this outside interference (from outside WA) you need to stop the outside money from polluting our election processes. The state laws governing contributions to politicians should not allow contributions from outside the election’s district. I have said this before, “If you cannot vote for or against it, you should not be able to spend money to affect its outcome!”

Brady has about as much power today as the bum on the street corner begging for money for his wine. We are winning

That is the time for a big Cheshire Cat grin and just walk out. Win

Wait, did the killer have his CHL? Was that actually an established fact? While I haven't been following this super closely, I didn't see it any of the articles regarding this event.

If he did, well that is annoying but people who have driver's licences drive drunk every day. If he didn't have one, that what the hell does Shall vs. May issue have to do with anything?

M

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads