JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We had our monthly Historical Arms Collectors meeting last night, and another member brought in two ML rifles he built back in the 1960's, and asked if anyone was interested in buying them? Nobody spoke up, soo I asked the prices, and they were very cheap, so I ended up buying both.
One is a Kentucky style with a Douglas barrel, set triggers, patch box, engraved, and in .45 cal. Some nice looking wood, and overall the gun still looks like new.
MDfpXArl.jpg

jMIZN0ol.jpg

RlYmGiYl.jpg

The 2nd one is a shorter barreled, and heavier gun than the first gun. It's a .50 cal. Douglas barrel also, and is a lefty, with lock, cheekpiece, etc. all done for the left hander. It's a half stocked gun with a pewter forearm tip. It has a delrin ramrod, which I like, even though I'm not a fan of the white color. Also well kept, and still appears to be new condition, other than the pewter tip has darkened from age. It has better sights, with a short tang sight, and adjustable barrel sight. Bob said he took a couple mule deer with it long ago.

0GybTJkl.jpg

gU6VeQ8l.jpg

uPa5kLhl.jpg

Those tiger stripes are cool,
Beautiful bp rifles BTW!!
Congratulations.
Id like to get something in Flintlock someday, always seems intriguing.
LMK if you hear of a deal on anything.
360-607-041eight
Matt

Envy is what I'm feeling, looking at your post. Very nice.
Thanks for sharing. Beautiful rifles.
edit: if you find you're interested in selling the LH one, please drop me a PM. People think I'm nuts, shooting my RH flintlock, left handed. I'd probably shoot BP a lot more if I had a LH one.

Douglas Barrels are very nice and high quality for sure.
Neat looking rifles , thanks for sharing them.
Andy
Thanks Andy! I never even knew Douglas made ML barrels? I've got several old guns rebarreled with Douglas Premium barrels, but thought they made just faster twist barrels, not the slower twist ML barrels. I was surprised when he told me they had the Douglas barrels.

The Kentucky has his name, "R Evans Maker" on the lock. The .50 cal. has "Joseph Gulcher" on the lock. I Googled Gulcher, and seems he was a famous lock maker back in the early 1800's. Guessing this lock isn't his, and probably just a copy using his name.

Envy is what I'm feeling, looking at your post. Very nice.
Thanks for sharing. Beautiful rifles.
edit: if you find you're interested in selling the LH one, please drop me a PM. People think I'm nuts, shooting my RH flintlock, left handed. I'd probably shoot BP a lot more if I had a LH one.
If I do sell one it will likely be the left handed .50 since I'm right handed. I'll certainly let you know what I decide, if I sell it.

Back in the mid 60's to late 70's Douglas barrel were "the cats pajamas" as the saying goes.
Douglas barrels are excellent in quality and material.

Joseph Goulcher was a prolific lock maker...as well as a maker of excellent locks.
R.E. Davis makes a reproduction of his style of lock....but is marked a bit differently from originals.
You may have a original lock on a new made rifle.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads