JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have been interested in another 10mm myself. I have a 3rd gen g20, & a g30 with a kkm 10mm conversion bbl. I was leaning towards a 1911 type when I heard about the Ruger. I swung through Keith's today & picked one up. It is a nice shooter!

View attachment 377561 View attachment 377563

DAMN YOU GUYS!!! :)
Nice looking pistol. Let us know how it performs so I can start wondering what can I move around to buy one of those now. LOL

I shot about 5 mags through it. 1 ftf on the 2nd round of the 2nd mag, then good to go. I think I was watching for the ejection pattern & might have limp wristed it. I stopped 'cause I was loosing all my brass in the tall grass of the pasture I was in. the trigger is quite nice, & the black on black sights work well for me. Lately I've had trouble see FO front sights clearly? anyways I ran 180gr jhp's from bitter root valley, 180gr jhp's from Underwood, & some 165gr fmj's from Underwood. the pic is from about 20 paces rested casually over the back of my utv. I don't consider my self any type of handgun shooter, But it was a pleasure to shoot.

ruger10 group.jpg

I shot about 5 mags through it. 1 ftf on the 2nd round of the 2nd mag, then good to go. I think I was watching for the ejection pattern & might have limp wristed it. I stopped 'cause I was loosing all my brass in the tall grass of the pasture I was in. the trigger is quite nice, & the black on black sights work well for me. Lately I've had trouble see FO front sights clearly? anyways I ran 180gr jhp's from bitter root valley, 180gr jhp's from Underwood, & some 165gr fmj's from Underwood. the pic is from about 20 paces rested casually over the back of my utv. I don't consider my self any type of handgun shooter, But it was a pleasure to shoot.

View attachment 377567

Looks like minute of dobad to me. :cool:
Looks like nice shooter on top of looking nice.

Now you need to pick up some buffalo bore or underwood!

The Sig 180gr load is moving that fast??? That's close to the original Norma spec.

Almost all the commercial stuff is loaded to 40 S&W levels, IE the ole' "FBI load."

This ^^^ is the problem with the 10mm. The normal ammo seen on the shelves is loaded so soft it's a shame.
I had a rockin 1911 in 10mm, but even the "hot" Federal hunting stuff was a disappointment. Normally I handload, but since I really don't shoot handguns in quantity anymore, being able to swing by and pick up the ammo I want is a huge factor.
I should have given the 10 it's turn at the loading press. If I had, I'd probably have sold my 45.
As far as a buying a Ruger 1911? I bought the first SR1911 I saw after they came out. It's now my wife's. Her Ruger gets more comments from other shooters than my Dan Wesson does. WTF? o_O
The gun has been 100% reliable shooting 230gr ball, RNL and JHP ammo, either factory ammo or my handloads.
The new Ruger 10 uses a bushingless barrel. I doubt it will become a problem, but only time will tell.

I suppose if Ruger comes out with a Commander sized 10, they will have my attention.:s0023:

I never was on the 10mm band wagon, and I never planned to be. I've shot one of these new 10mm's on two different occasions, and it shot so extremely well, I figured I'd get one of my own.

And ya never know. i could be bored with it next week.:eek: But probably not.:)

Not sure how hot of ammo you shot in it, WAYNO.

If it was some real canned heat and it shot that smoothly, I may want to get one.

I know my sig p220 eats up the warm ammo but that recoil spring and slide are really really damn heavy compared to the sr1911 in 10mm.

Not funny guys, now I'm seriously not only considering the Ruger, but I've already found a 40 S&W bull barrel to go with it...

Now I just need to justify, in my own mind, adding two additional calibers to the collection... Two more calibers to reload for...

Decisions, decisions...

Not funny guys, now I'm seriously not only considering the Ruger, but I've already found a 40 S&W bull barrel to go with it...

Now I just need to justify, in my own mind, adding two additional calibers to the collection... Two more calibers to reload for...

Decisions, decisions...
I'll make it REAL EASY for ya buddy, The 10 mm dosn't require a barrel swap to run 40 short and week, just swap recoil springs to a 19 pound spring and let her rip tater chip! BTW all standard Gov'ment profile 1911's full size nad comander interchange grips, so no issues with swapping grips unless the grips you want to use end up needing funky screws and or bushings!

I got the Kimber Eclipse custom 10 mm instead of the Ruger, it wasn't even as hard a choice as the kimber had a LOT of extras features I like, and the LGS made me a smokin deal on it too! Range report to follow!
wm_547504.JPG

I'll make it REAL EASY for ya buddy, The 10 mm dosn't require a barrel swap to run 40 short and week, just swap recoil springs to a 19 pound spring and let her rip tater chip! BTW all standard Gov'ment profile 1911's full size nad comander interchange grips, so no issues with swapping grips unless the grips you want to use end up needing funky screws and or bushings!

I got the Kimber Eclipse custom 10 mm instead of the Ruger, it wasn't even as hard a choice as the kimber had a LOT of extras features I like, and the LGS made me a smokin deal on it too! Range report to follow!
View attachment 377643
Appreciate the confirmation regarding barrel swap Ura-Ki... And thanks for bringing another option to my attention...:rolleyes:

Not sure how hot of ammo you shot in it, WAYNO.

If it was some real canned heat and it shot that smoothly, I may want to get one.

I know my sig p220 eats up the warm ammo but that recoil spring and slide are really really damn heavy compared to the sr1911 in 10mm.

I shot run of the mill stuff that was not much hotter than a .40 S&W, as well as an assortment of heavier stuff. The only specific brand/loads I recall was Buffalo Bore, 220 gr at (advertised) 1200 fps, and Double Tap 180 gr at 1305 fps. I expected this to be a real fire breather with the heavier stuff, but it was not at all. Even with the heavier stuff, it was comfortable, quite manageable, and surprisingly accurate. I inspected the cases after shooting. The cases themselves were indistinguishable between the heavy and light loads, but the primers told a different story. The primers on the heavy stuff were flowed about as flat as any primer I've ever seen.

Last Edited:
And if anybody is interested...

Factory loaded 10mm FMJ is fairly reasonable, but loaded with performance bullets, not so reasonable. I've been shopping online, and I don't like the $1+ per round prices I'm seeing.

I found PMC hollow points, 170 grain at 1200 fps, but to get free shipping and a dollar off per box, I had to buy 10 boxes, at $19 per box of 25 rounds. I'll share up to half of these if somebody can use them. I am still waiting ground delivery, so it could be a week til I actually receive them.

10mm Auto
  • ITEM NO: 10B
  • BULLET TYPE: JHP
  • WEIGHT: 170 grain
BR-10B-BC-300x300.jpg
BALLISTICS
VELOCITY (feet per second)
  • Muzzle: 1200
  • 25 Yds: 1117
  • 50 Yds: 1052
  • 75 Yds: 1000
  • 100 Yds: 958