JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Republican Oregon State Senator Brian Boquist successfully authored a gun confiscation bill after the suicide death of his stepson Sethan Charles Sprague. It should be fair to ask what was the mental state of Seth Sprague at the time of his death. Newspaper accounts tell us only that his suicide was related to his military service in the Navy. The suicide rate for Navy veterans is the lowest of any branch of the armed services at 16 per 100,000. This is close to the national non military average which is 13 per 100,000. In contrast the rate for the army is 23 per 100,000. Seth Sprague was a gunner's mate on a submarine tender. This is not a position that one would expect to contribute to PSTD normally related to the horrors of a ground war. The USS Cole is the only U.S. Navy ship to be damaged by a hostile enemy action since WWII. A terrorist bomb resulted in the death of 17 crewmen.

People who commit suicide have a history. Their suicidal tendencies do not occur overnight. Mental disorders such as bi polar disorder, anxiety disorder, and substance abuse disorders are risk factors that may contribute to the decision to end one's life. Some stressful life events that may contribute to suicide are divorce or relationship problems, employment problems, harassment, bullying victimization, and unresolved emotional or physical abuse from the past. According to an article by two phychologists, Natalie Reiss and Mark Dombeck, 90 percent of suicides can be attributed to mental disorders.

What we do know from news accounts is that Seth Sprague came from a broken home. He was intelligent and graduated from College with scholastic honors. He majored in religion and minored in political science but worked in a laboratory.

After serving six years in the Navy he moved in with a friend. We don't know whether the friend was male or female straight or gay or whether the relationship was romantic or platonic. The suicide rate in the LGBT community is three times greater than in the heterosexual community according to studies.

While it cannot be argued that the firearm is the method of choice for the majority of people who commit suicide it is the method and not the reason. It can even be argued that it is the most effective and least painful method. Death by hanging is the second most common method of suicide. It is a gruesome and prolonged way to die in most cases. In terms of pain and suffering it would make more sense to confiscate ropes than guns. A bullet simply instantaneously turns off the light of life.

So what was the history that compelled Seth Sprague to end his own life? Since Senator Brian Boquist has used his death as a reason to write legislation to confiscate the property of citizens who have committed no crime we should have a right to know the rest of the story. In the course of the legislation passing through the Oregon Senate Seth Sprague's suicide has been sensationalized. What was it in Seth's life that he was unable to cope with? Serving six years on a submarine tender is not a plausible explanation. We should ask what kind of stepfather the senator was? Is Boquist blaming the gun instead of himself? We see a professed republican who had no problem violating his own party's position against firearm confiscation. This indicates a lack of loyalty to his constituency and party. In Boquist's rambling letter to the Oregon Firearms Federation Boquist irrationally threatens and profanely bullies individuals who wrote emails questioning his party affiliation and motives. Does this behavior carry over into his family life? Who is Brian Boquist? Since he is an elected official we have the right to ask.

Was Seth Sprague receiving any type of treatment prior to his suicide? There are so many unanswered questions about his death. Transparency would be a public service to those who have disturbed and depressed relatives.

What kind of support was Seth receiving from his immediate family? Suicide occurs when the stress factors become greater than the coping skills of the individual. How can the creation of additional stress factors in the life of the suicidal person in any way be construed as help or support for that person; police invading the home and confiscating personal property; the stigma of the person's name being added to the criminal data base of the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) ; the stress of defending oneself against accusations of immediate family. Had Boquist's misguided legislation been in effect before his stepson's death; had Boquist contacted the police or filed a petition with the court in an effort to save his stepson the scenario may well have been that he pushed him over the edge. Senate Bill 719 may very well drive others to self destruction. The bill creates a monumental risk factor to those contemplating suicide. Instead of receiving the support they desperately need from intimate family members they may feel violated and isolated by their actions.

BTW, many times a bullet to the brain does not "instantly turn off the lights" to the sorrow and suffering of some that have tried it. Do it right!!! Just sayin.

Good post. Good questions. This needs to be put in front of Boquist and a response, with answers, requested. If he's going to support a bill that strips Oregonians of due process, then he damn well needs to give some uncomfortable answers as to why he thinks his personal tragedy should lead to laws stripping rights from others.

One of my best friends killed himself some years ago, using a rope, it was quite effective in ending his life. As much as I miss him, I don't feel a need to pass a law banning access to ropes. Another acquaintance managed to do the same thing with drugs - and those happened to already be illegal - for all the good that did.

We live in an age of total shirking of personal responsibility along with the mentality that "we have to do SOMETHING" negates any logic about whether the SOMETHING has any bearing on the cause and effect of the subject at hand. A few years back, before the passage of the UBC via initiative 594 in Washington, I got into a debate with my MIL about the bill and why it wouldn't work. After I punched holes in her emotional argument (quite easily) using undeniable logic, her final comment was "well... we have to do SOMETHING (to stop all the mass shootings). My response was again pretty straight forward and I felt logical.... My response was "if your house is on fire, and you are distressed about it, going out and mowing the lawn is doing SOMETHING, but it's not going to put the fire out now is it?"

I totally agree Someone needs to ask the senator some serious questions. He probably should take real good look in the mirror for the reason of his sons suicide. GUNS are NOT to blame.Knives/ropes/cars/pills just about anything will do it if your so inclined:(:(

Usually a good test of ongoing character is to place the person being tested into a position of power and authority. Some folks thrive and turn their adversity into a positive attribute ... but others do not.

Amazingly well written post. The law lacks due process and that is a scary thing. Making the person who has had their firearms removed, to basically prove their own innocence in an issue of mental illness is screwed up, in a country where people are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. The law should be removed from the books and everyone who helped it to pass removed as well. Its sad to think where Oregons politics are headed.

Amazingly well written post. The law lacks due process and that is a scary thing. Making the person who has had their firearms removed, to basically prove their own innocence in an issue of mental illness is screwed up, in a country where people are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. The law should be removed from the books and everyone who helped it to pass removed as well. Its sad to think where Oregons politics are headed.
And oh by the way, you can't use the best factual evidence available, the clinical appraisal of a practicing clinician, either. THEY can if it works against you, but YOU can't if it works FOR you.

Washington, Jefferson and those other Dead Old Guys would be calling for ropes.

Maybe MY org gave him that rating because his voting record AT THAT TIME indicated that was what he was deserving of?? Had they known he was going to drive the train off the trestle they probably would not have supported him.

Timing is very important. At the time the NRA gave this non august legislooter a 93% good guy rating, was that before his son in law killed himself? Or was it during? Or was it after? Lots of times it is difficult to determine how and why and if and when a good Jedi turns to the dark side of the force. Or was it another OUTSIDE $$motivation$$ entirely?

Boquist absolutely needs to be called out on the very points listed above. But I think it needs to go further than just submitting a polite letter with questions and requesting a formal response. No, this needs to be done in a very public setting. Why? Because he took a private tragedy and made it public. He opened the door. So, gloves off and game on. He needs to be publicly shamed and forced to respond so he's exposed as the POS that he really is. I just hope the cameras are rolling when he breaks.

Crazy how all these Oregon Politicians have been effected by firearms tragedies and instead of shinning a light on inner reflection, looking at their families history and turmoil instead project some kind idea that firearms are to blame. Not the action of their family member being irresponsible and irrational instead blame and inanimate object for the problem. They are turning a blind eye to the real problem and that is the mental health of these political families, who after a family tragedy want to immpose more "gun laws" on the general public when the last few laws arent even being upheld or enforced because they were so badly written and forced into action by emergency clause and politicians only votes , gun laws should always be voted on by the voting public not left to politicians to handle in backdoor/middle of the night deals between shady politicians with agendas.

Yup.... pizzes me off how politicians and celebrity types take a personal tragedy and use it to strip others of their God given rights. Local talk show personality Shelia Hamilton from time to time debates Lars Larson on the evils of guns and their too easy availability. One time after listening to her tirade I did a little research on her. Turns out her husband was suffering with manic depression. He stole a gun from a friend and ate a bullet in front of their house. She is now a champion of suicide prevention which is fine, but I wonder if her husband had locked himself in the garage with the car engine running if she would want to ban cars? Or maybe if he had eaten a bottle of prescription medications, we could outlaw drugs?

The bill creates a monumental risk factor to those contemplating suicide. Instead of receiving the support they desperately need from intimate family members they may feel violated and isolated by their actions.

I had patients with mental health conditions who had firearms. I had a few that were literally prepping to fight the government if they came to take their guns. If they police show up to take their guns there will be a firefight.

I helped these patients by relating to them, not freaking out about the firearms threatening to take them away. This was in columbia county that has almost nothing for mental health coverage, especially for patients on medicaid. Despite protesting for all 10 years I was in the county, CareOregon refused to expand coverage for mental health services so patients could go to Portland.

Just to clarify my prior... by Koolaiders I don't mean everyone who supports the organization, just those who insist that "Wayne's Wankers are infallible and can do no wrong". :)

I'm more of a "targeted donations to fund specific projects" guy myself... I don't mind contributing to the NRA for specific projects, as long as my funds are specifically allocated to the particular campaign/initiative/program I give them to pay for. Sort of like how a corporate grant works, really.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top