JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I rarely buy new guns. Prefer someone else take the initial depreciation and prefer quality tools. I have an Anschutz, a Walter sport model and a left hand Remington 541 that all shoot very well although the German guns have better triggers. I like the CZ and Tika products a lot but in the old days, even Mosburg made great accurate target rifles that have survived on the market.

Another vote for the American. I love mine, and if you have a 10-22, you have mags for it already. Its such a fun little gun. I still have not scoped mine and gone for long distance groups, but its so fun to ring steel on most every shot with it, it makes me feel like a far better shot than I am :D

I wish Ruger would make a youth model, but I may have to get another one and get a custom youth stock - I want to get one for my son.

I wish Ruger would make a youth model, but I may have to get another one and get a custom youth stock - I want to get one for my son.
I'd just purchase another rifle, cut the stock and go looking for another stock for future use. I'm sure someone is looking for a market for the stock they just had to replace - some people are like that.

I'd just purchase another rifle, cut the stock and go looking for another stock for future use. I'm sure someone is looking for a market for the stock they just had to replace - some people are like that.

The polymer American stock is hollow, so chopping it up woulnldn't be great :D

HK Gun Shop in Forest Grove makes custom laminate stocks. They cost as much or more than the gun though. Gorgeous stuff.

If inexpensive and accuracy is your thing, take a look at the Savage bolt action rimfire rifles. I'm not a big Savage fan but you can't argue with the accuracy. I have one and it shoots the best of any 22LR I've ever owned, but it does have a few issues I tolerate.

If I were to buy another one though, the Tikka would be at the top of my list.

That's another reason to go with the 77-22 in my book. I do love Wood. I'm sure a decent Gunsmith could make something work even with a lousy starting point like a hollow stock. Of course, a decent Gunsmith may be hard to find.

I had athread like this one a while back. Your thread finally gave me the push I needed to buy one. I went out of stock a bit back, but I checked and it was back in so I finally ordered one.

I came very close to a CZ455 Tacticool. Having so many 10/22s and the magazines for them kept me leaning towards Ruger. I think the Ruger Rimfire Precision is great, but this is shorter, in stock, less expensive, and likely as accurate.

RUGER AMERICAN RIMFIRE 22LR W/THREADED BARREL

+1 On the Savage MK-II series, awesome rifles made under licence from Anschutz, and almost as accurate! Plenty of aftermarket support as well. I have the T-HB Match with Irons and it's amazingly accurate with out the picky nature of the Anschutz to ammo! Bang for your much dosnt get a lot better then that. Now, give me a Tikka with those iron match sights, that's taking things up a notch, and for that money, might as well get an Anschutz M-64 and Ghel sights and rule the range!

If you wanted something really nice and like to be accurate with the first shot....

8FD4E1C1-632B-4053-861A-6E297852C5B2.jpeg

I have mentioned before that my CZ 452 with a 6x24 scope hits on a 200 meter silhouette. I now have my CZ 455 Precision Varmint Trainer with a Leopold 6x20 EFR on it. On the truck rifle side a have a Savage 93 .22 WMR. It has a Leopold 2x7x28. I use the Hornady 30 grain V-Max. The 452 is much nicer compared to the 455. I worked the action and safety on the 452. I have seen some very good quality used 1970 's USA made rimfires available. Get a CZ while you can !

I've always lusted over a Ruger 77/22, but even when I'd find one, I wouldn't buck up and bring one home. The reason is the old Marlin that Grandpa bought and Dad carried through out his teenage years is too accurate for it's own good. It's darn near boring. I rarely shoot it anymore, but I've put so many bricks thru it since the 70s that we're old pals. It's an extension of my arms and eyes.

Buying used guns always has a bit of a gamble to it, but I'd hit the gun shops and look for a 22 rifle from the 40s or 50s. Someones else's old pal might just be the ticket.

I appreciate everyone's input. I ordered a cz455 in stainless that I will top with a 2x7x35 vortex Diamondback on the way from Buds. Life is Good!!!
I don't have any personal experience with these, but I hear the yodave trigger kits are really the icing on an already stellar cake for these things: CZ 452, 455, BRNO 2,4, and 5 trigger kit

Also keep in mind that you'll need to find rings that'll work with the existing CZ dovetail mount, or get something like a DIP products dovetail to picatinny mount: Diversified Innovative Products - Product Detail - 455/452/453 11mm Dovetail to Picatinny Scope Mount - $37.97

I actually have one of the DIP scope mounts in black that I took off of my 455 that I'd be willing to part with.

The Ruger American can be found in a compact model, which has a shorter barrel and a shorter stock extension module (two, actually). You can then buy the normal size stock modules when you need something bigger.

I suppose you could also do the reverse - buy a regular model and spend another $30 for the shorter stocks (keep the longer barrel).

Same price, I've found. Good deals now at CDNN.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top