JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bob Costas continued to explain his "Sunday Night Football" commentary on the murder-suicide committed by the Kansas City Chiefs' Jovan Belcher, but that didn't do much to lessen criticism of his decision to speak out about guns.

One comment in particular — "if Jovan Belcher didn't possess a gun, he and [his girlfriend] Kasandra Perkins would both be alive today" – kept Costas the topic of conversation.

Costas, who told Dan Patrick on Tuesday that he made a mistake in violating his own rule against attempting to compress complicated issues into brief air time, explained what he was trying to say on MSNBC's "Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell." Costas noted that he "never mentioned the Second Amendment." "I never used the words ‘gun control.' People inferred that. Now, do I believe that we need more comprehensive and sensible gun control? Yes, I do. That doesn't mean repeal the Second Amendment."

Belcher shot Perkins to death Saturday morning with what police confirmed was a legally registered gun, then committed suicide at the Chiefs' Arrowhead Stadium practice facility. Costas noted that "SNF" analyst Tony Dungy, a former NFL coach, once asked 80 football players at training camp how many owned guns and 65 raised a hand.

"Even if all those guns were obtained legally, you can't have 65 guys in their 20s – aggressive young men subject to impulses, without something bad happening," Costas said. "... Give me one example of an athlete – I know it's happened in society – give me one example of an athlete by virtue of his having a gun, took a dangerous situation and turned it around for the better. I can't think of a single one. Sadly, I can think of dozens that by virtue of having a gun, a professional athlete wound up in a tragic situation."

Costas was criticized for seeming to place the blame on the gun and not on Belcher. "No one is saying that Belcher is not responsible. However, the ready easy availability of guns makes mayhem easier. The easy availability of guns makes this sort of thing far more likely to occur."

Costas wasn't backing down from his Sunday night comments about what he says is gun culture.
"It demonstrates itself in the Wild West, Dirty Harry mentality of people who actually believe that if a number of people were armed in the theater in Aurora, they would have been able to take down this nut-job in body armor and military-style artillery," he said. "It plays itself out in the inner cities, where teenage kids are somehow armed to the hilt. And it plays itself in the sports world, where young athletes are disproportionately armed.

Yes, and they all have cars and alcohol too. We should take that as well. If it wasn't for the firewater...

It is always going to be like that as long as hardcore liberals run things, it only encourages those to say thing like:

" I am not wanting us to remove the 2nd from the constitution, I just think people should not have guns ? "

When people make statements like that and there is not a huge outcry on both sides that is scary, and why he has a job is only because his boss supports his stance. If this was a FOX game he would have been fired.
Whats next, Bob you gonna talk about gay right, abortions or legalizing marijuana. Since when did a football announcer become a political analyst ?

Hey Bob ................:s0081:

Even if Costas could come out and say "I'm not calling for auto and alcohol control, or the return to prohibition and horses, but we need to have less cars and make access to alcohol by young 20 somethings with aggressive tendencies more restrictive"!!

:s0077:

I kind of agree with Costasas's statement that if the athlete did not have a gun he would be alive today. I think "might" would be more apporiate word versus "would". Suicide is an easy way out. It is the chickens way out and in this case that chicken used a fire arm. Now he very well could of driven in front of a train or drank antifreeze or some other method. The advantage of the handgun is that it is easy and supposedly fast. I dont know how fast at times or painless a gun is but that is the mechanism he chose to use. In this case the handgun was simply a tool, a mechanism for completing a task. In my opinion he should have taken his life first and at least one of them would be alive today.

James Ruby

I wasn't paying close attention but either Costas or the lead-in went on about some team asking players to turn in their guns and some complied so NBC is still pushing the anti-2nd angle.

I was hoping that Costas would be consistent and rant that 3 out of 4 NFL players own cars or call for the reinstatement of the 18th amendment but he didn't. No shock there.

I wasn't paying close attention but either Costas or the lead-in went on about some team asking players to turn in their guns and some complied so NBC is still pushing the anti-2nd angle.

I was hoping that Costas would be consistent and rant that 3 out of 4 NFL players own cars or call for the reinstatement of the 18th amendment but he didn't. No shock there.

There is nothing consistent about progressives. ITs always the ends justify the means

"No one cheers more for a tyrant than the ones he enslaves"

Progressive V Conservative, D v R, they do not matter. It is those who want to protect the 2A and all rights V those who want to control us. I really hate the division that is almost automatic on these "Legal" section sights. No one is here that does not like guns or want to have the right to have them, quit attacking your allies!

Just FYI Costas and Piers Morgan will be at it again tonight. Get on the CNN website and state your thoughts.

It is a simple concept generally speaking.

I seldom see an liberal argument with evidence or stand up for something on their own. The liberals job is to take what others do and then say they made that . ( lol see what I did there ) .
Sad thing it is true, I could not think of one thing Democrats have stood for other then the KKK, umm Slavery.
Can some one tell me how in the hell they got in power ?

"if Jovan Belcher didn't possess a gun, he and [his girlfriend] Kasandra Perkins would both be alive today"

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but how can we make people understand the following two points?

#1 More gun control will not guarantee that this type of person won't have a gun. If you're going to commit a crime or murder someone (which is illegal), why would you have any qualms about illegally obtaining a gun?

#2 If Belcher didn't possess a gun, there is no guarantee they would be alive today. The deaths could just as easily have been caused by any number of weapons / substances (at least dozens) commonly found around the house.

Sad thing it is true, I could not think of one thing Democrats have stood for other then the KKK, umm Slavery.
Can some one tell me how in the hell they got in power ?

It's a pretty complex deal but during the progressive era (generally between 1890 - 1930) Democrats eschewed previous reconstructionist thinking and re-made themselves into what we think of as the basis for the modern Democratic Party. Keep in mind also that following the Civil War the Domocratic Party was largely represented by former slave states, thus the regressive thinking.

It's a pretty complex deal but during the progressive era (generally between 1890 - 1930) Democrats eschewed previous reconstructionist thinking and re-made themselves into what we think of as the basis for the modern Democratic Party. Keep in mind also that following the Civil War the Domocratic Party was largely represented by former slave states, thus the regressive thinking.

I also thought the "Southern Democrats" of that time became Republicans, such as Strom Thurman, etc.

Or is that a bunch of bubblegum?

OH I get it what Bob meant was that Young 20 something proffesional sports guys shouldn't have access to guns. I see thats much better.

YEA RIGHT

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads