JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree, I was just thinking that common usage by the military also counts.
If the Courts wish to restrict to "military arms" they'll need to repeal the Hughes Amendment and likely NFA1934 on the basis of the "machine guns" M4 and M16 series being standard issue firearms.

Edit. The fly in that particular ointment (of limiting 2a protections to military/state militias) is in the wording. Nowhere in 2A does it say "The Right of the Militia/army to keep and bear arms" :rolleyes:

Yup. Also by that logic, semi auto rifles are also protected because Garand and M1 Carbine ;)
Edit. Levers weren't exactly widespread in military usage, @AndyinEverson may be able to confirm? Bolt actions are also protected because again, Springfield 1903s and Mauser 98Ks...
I would be real surprised if there weren't some Pony Soldiers rocking leverguns in the Indian Wars.

If the Courts wish to restrict to "military arms" they'll need to repeal the Hughes Amendment and likely NFA1934 on the basis of the "machine guns" M4 and M16 series being standard issue firearms.

Edit. The fly in that particular ointment (of limiting 2a protections to military/state militias) is in the wording. Nowhere in 2A does it say "The Right of the Militia/army to keep and bear arms" :rolleyes:
By the "CMU" standard, the only things I see left as "not protected" would be AOW's, Disguised Firearms and maybe Explosive Destructive Devices. M203's are LBDD's, but there's at least two in a rifle squad, right? Bazookas and man-portable missiles aren't really firearms...

Yup. Also by that logic, semi auto rifles are also protected because Garand and M1 Carbine ;)
Edit. Levers weren't exactly widespread in military usage, @AndyinEverson may be able to confirm? Bolt actions are also protected because again, Springfield 1903s and Mauser 98Ks...
The US Military never really fielded or issued a Lever Action rifle to any large degree...
Spencer
The 1860 Henry
1894 Winchester
1895 Winchester
Are some famous lever actions fielded or issued in limited numbers...No doubt if one looked longer , you could find more...but as a general rule , as standard issue , the US military has avoided the lever action rifle and carbine
Andy

I would be real surprised if there weren't some Pony Soldiers rocking leverguns in the Indian Wars.
According to wiki.. these weapons were most commonly used; the Trapdoor is a single shot breechloader.
  • Baker rifle.
  • Charleville musket.
  • Gatling Gun.
  • Inuit axe.
  • Hotchkiss gun.
  • Peabody action.
  • Springfield Model 1873.
  • Snow knife.
  • Toggling harpoon
  • Tomahawk
  • Ulu
By the "CMU" standard, the only things I see left as "not protected" would be AOW's, Disguised Firearms and maybe Explosive Destructive Devices. M203's are LBDD's, but there's at least two in a rifle squad, right? Bazookas and man-portable missiles aren't really firearms...
Tellingly, the 2A didn't say "firearms" it said "arms". As in armaments. We had more privately owned cannons and warships than the Continental Army and Navy had at the time ;)

My $.02 from a wood and steel guy.

When Ian McCollum of Forgotten Weapons claimed bolt action rifles are obsolete, I vehemently opposed his view. After thinking about it awhile, I reached a conclusion of the correctness of his statement but not in a way he intended.

Its the social aspect of obsolescence. Gun culture has evolved into the 'modern' sporting rifles era. I am willing to admit the low recoil, cost effectiveness of the MSR has a lot going for it. Evidence are:
1. The moniker 'Modern' is only used to describe semi-auto rifles.
2. Caliber developments have been based upon the MSR in recent years then carried over to bolt action rifles (the latest caliber, 350 legend, is based upon the 5.56/223 case.)
3, The shear number of rifles sold.

I make this statement because I believe its the best argument for 'common use' clause. Such laws prohibiting the ownership of semi-autos are forcing everyone to using 120 year old technology with sometimes disastrous results. Without talking about the complicated self-defense issue (mental health, illegally obtaining, etc.), the hog population in the southern states is a simpler example..

From what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong but 20% of the hog population are killed every year and hunters are just being able to maintain the population. That's with using MSRs and the recent development of heavier calibers for the platform. Prior to that, the population exploded to what it is now. Regression will allow the population to expand again, how quickly is unknown.

Again, technology advancement based upon market forces is common use.

There really should be nothing to "prove" here.
One just needs to take a look around and see just how many AR15 type rifles are out there.
Racks after racks of AR15 type rifles are on the dealer's shelves...
Countless amounts of parts and accessories are available...
The AR15 is very common and its just a rifle.

More importantly ....
The 2nd Amendment simply states Arms...
Meaning weapons...it does not state which Arms in particular or give exceptions...
As in saying , you can own this , but not that...or that you can only own Arms for a specific use or purpose.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top