JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I pulled my SKS out of my safe and out of its sock because I was gonna list it for sale here BUT...

I had liberately oiled it inside and out before I put it away and all the blueing turnd brown and in some spots rusty. It had been touched up with coldblue a while ago so i am wondering if that was part of the problem. I've been working on it with a brush, rag and barricade and the rust comes off easily, however...so does the blueing if you can still call it that.

Is there a better kitchentable gunsmith approach to just stripping the whole thing bare and redoing it? Other than the birchwood casey blue?

That's called browning and is generally well admired in the firearms world......

:s0067:

So yeah, sounds like it got damp and the sock held it against the cold blued surface, remember bluing is just stable rust.

I know it may be too late in this one, but I've read that those gun stocks attract moisture. I'm assuming that it is rust, and not wd40 residue.

It had been touched up with coldblue a while ago so i am wondering if that was part of the problem.
Most likely if the touchup was not completely bare steel and clean.
Is there a better kitchentable gunsmith approach to just stripping the whole thing bare and redoing it? Other than the birchwood casey blue?
BC bluing can be made to look very nice but will require a complete stripping, sanding bright smooth, COMPLETELY clean and degreased and preheated prior to applying the bluing.

This will be getting it soon.

IMG_1868.JPG

I've used Belgian Blue with good success. Though caustic hot tanks are not required, A very hot, preferable boiling water is.
Along with stripping off of parts and plugging of barrel.
My first project turned brown but since it was a very old but low cost single shot it looked good and protects well so I left it. I found out that I did not Neutralize the bluing well by leaving it in the boiling water long enough after the last application to stop the rusting. subsequent efforts on other firearms turned out pretty sweet and stayed blue (closer to black)
So, your effort adding the Cold blue likely is the culprit.
Regardless of any particular bluing process you may choose, there are two constants to bear in mind that apply to all processes;
1. Follow and don't deviate from the instructions. (especially degreasing)
2. The chemicals used must be stopped, or neutralized in some way, before oiling.
At one time Larry Potterfield of MidWay had a nice video on Belgian Bluing worth looking into if it still exist. Though I believe either he didn't stress the neutralization enough, or I didn't pay enough attention to it!
Still, if you are not keeping it, your scrub it off oil it up is likely best scenario since other efforts likely won't give any payback for your time and expenses.

Gun socks are great... if they're silicone treated. The un-treated socks will hold moisture against the metal and can cause corrosion.
This^^^
I "stole" the one off of Mom's Henry to wrap my 600 in. (Sorry, Dad) They are also very helpful in protecting against safe rash.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top