JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently finished an AR build where the barrel (Ballistic Advantage) fit the receiver (Gibbz G4) loosely and I was wonder about suggestions for the use of Blue Loctite to tighten this up? Also, how easy is it to remove the barrel after? Thanks in advance.

Did the barrel nut get torqued to spec? I've never had the barrel and receiver fit loose after the barrel nut torquing procedure. If I remember correctly I even used anti-seize paste on that fitting.

Barrel nut torque procedure: barrel nut should be torqued to 30 ft-lbs, loosened, torqued, loosened, torqued for the third time to 30 ft-lbs. and then torqued to the final value not to exceed 80 ft-lbs

I'm a fan of the blue loctite.
Heat from a torch will break the bond.
Then put a large wood dowel in the bcg hole and pound it out when it's still hot.
Obviously alot harder to get apart but nothing shakes loose either, and barrel to upper fit is perfect.
Each to his own.....
Matt

Blue is fine, but degrease it all thoroughly. Use acetone or break cleaner on it.
to break the bond heat with a hair dryer or heat gun on high for about 4 min. It will come right loose.

Did the barrel nut get torqued to spec? I've never had the barrel and receiver fit loose after the barrel nut torquing procedure. If I remember correctly I even used anti-seize paste on that fitting.

Barrel nut torque procedure: barrel nut should be torqued to 30 ft-lbs, loosened, torqued, loosened, torqued for the third time to 30 ft-lbs. and then torqued to the final value not to exceed 80 ft-lbs

This was before barrel nut installation, just the barrel and the receiver. And an almost "I can feel it wobble" but you could not see it. I'd say that the extension was maybe .0005" smaller.

I'm a fan of the blue loctite.
Heat from a torch will break the bond.
Then put a large wood dowel in the bcg hole and pound it out when it's still hot.
Obviously alot harder to get apart but nothing shakes loose either, and barrel to upper fit is perfect.
Each to his own.....
Matt

Thanks Matt.

Blue is fine, but degrease it all thoroughly. Use acetone or break cleaner on it.
to break the bond heat with a hair dryer or heat gun on high for about 4 min. It will come right loose.

Thanks Tim. I would have just wiped and glued.o_O

Kruel, this is a first for me too but I hear that it happens and the "glue" takes up that extra space and prevents potential issues.

This was before barrel nut installation, just the barrel and the receiver. And an almost "I can feel it wobble" but you could not see it. I'd say that the extension was maybe .0005" smaller.

Thanks Matt.

Ah, should tighten up with the nut and be secure. Try it without anti-lock and see how it is after the nut is installed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top