JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i dont see much of a problem if they are sealing pits and tunnels. could be very dangerous for someone that doesnt know its there. not to mention a group of teens thinking its not so bad to climb down. if they were destroying open mines, i may be a bit concerned. either way, it could be hiding a bit of history away.

That is so neat....I say we do it! "NWFA Mining CO, Inc". If we were to all pledge 1 ton of material per year it could pay. I like the Spartacus Mine, says it hasn't been worked since 1914.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1893-Ivanpah-California-Lode-Mine-Gold-Mining-Claim-CA-Copper-Silver-Shaft-NR/141254284559?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid=222006&algo=SIC.FITP&ao=1&asc=21395&meid=6245709107228369769&pid=100011&prg=9409&rk=2&rkt=10&sd=310924628929

Living in the NW where a lot of us do....Don't you ever get tired of the restricted views? You can't see the forest for the trees most of the time. Where's the mountains? You can't see them for all the trees, and then there's only three, way off in the distance if you ever do get to a high spot.

I guess I miss the desert. I moved from the Salt Lake area in '83 and we used to ride trail bikes all over. We'd always locate old mines, in the mountains and the desert. It's pure hell to try and take a walk in the forest here, too much undergrowth. All the cool historical stuff has rotted away from so much rain, or is buried completely in green so you can't see it even if it were right in front of you. Out there you can pick a point 20 miles away, and start walking/riding a straight line to get there! Why does a scene from family Vacation come to mind?
Probably not to be. I'll just bookmark that page to look and dream when I need a desert fix.

Thanks for the link.

Mike

Last Edited:
Mike, whenever I get tired of green valleys I go over to the ranch at Maupin. There's a 500 foot deep canyon there, where I can sit with my feet dangling over nothing but thin air while I have lunch and watch the rain squalls crossing over the sagebrush flats miles away. Good for the soul, man.
WapinitaCanyon-bottomnortheast.jpg
SM2013DeerCountry2.jpg
MtHoodRanchSM.jpg

And people ask why I need a 4-16x50 scope in Oregon....

SM2013Deer.jpg

The BLM is gettig just as bad as the EPA, or any other over reaching govt entity.
They are hell bent of "saving us" from ourselves.
Kids for decades have been playing in these places and no issues. I used to go cave diving around bend with my dad all the time. He had an old forest service map that showed a bunch of cave locations. They removed them years ago from the maps because of damage and vandalism

I was thinking seriously of buying an old mining claim, so I was browsing eBay and found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Searchlight...24628929?pt=Land&hash=item48648d53c1#viTabs_0
Blm/forest service started bulldozing and burning mining claims back in the 70,s. Including legal mining claims. They also leveled some Patented mining claims by mistake. They claimed they didn't know. Basic get off pulic land or else. Forget mining laws on the books. Friend of mine had a legal placer claim, went to town for supplies and return to his claim to find BLM had bull dozed his equipment and stuff into a pile and set it on fire. What could he do? Nothing, he didn't have any money as is the case of most if not all miners.
It's a crying shame that BLM apparently has a program to demolish old mines whenever and wherever possible. This claim would have been a good buy. Now it's pretty much worthless, which I'm sure is the intent.

There have been several old mines I would visit over the years around sumpter , last year I stopped in at two of them and they have been totally destroyed.. Looks like they blasted them, and bulldozed... Both of them were very remote!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top