JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I scrapped a Ford once because changing the engine required dropping it out of the bottom of the car an that was way beyond my means with the tools I had access too.

I have been looking at getting a new vehicle for the last year.

I drive a lot for work and driving the kids to/from daycare, and I'm looking at getting a promotion next week so I will be driving even more.

I need a reliable, safe vehicle.
I've had more cars than I can count and I have to say, looking for a reliable used car I bought a 2009 Subaru Outback. Later sold it when I got married again, and after I sold my Porsche, I bought myself a Subaru Crosstrek. I've had BMWs, MBs, Porsches, several Tacomas and a Tundra...and now a Crosstrek. Not for financial reasons, but because after having them all, I really like driving this thing. Point is, if one is looking for used at a decent price, a used Subarus can be a great deal and very reliable...and a monster in the snow and ice.

Did you check the oil/their work? The very few times I've had a place change my oil it was a near catastrophe and thankfully I checked their "work".
you name it, they f'd it up or left it off yada

Well normally I would this place usually does good work I've been going there for years.
Since it was already knocking and got much worse within a 20 mile drive I'd say their safe.
I did recheck the caps and oil level.

Well I had the oil changed, wipers, and a few bulbs I had out. Year they charged a butt load for bulbs, but I hadn't had the time to do it.

I always do the full synthetic oil for my vehicles.

And the thing is I hate this car (suv)
I've had a lot of issues with it, from door lock actuators going out, throttle body going out, then just the usual brakes, tires, shocks and struts, and the list goes on.
I can strip the tow package, and brand new tires and sell them.

I drive a lot for work and driving the kids to/from daycare, and I'm looking at getting a promotion next week so I will be driving even more.

So tell me. What fit's your busy schedule better?
Spending a few minutes every week on your car. Or Walking? ;)

+1 for Subaru. I drove a 1996 Legacy and it ran great when I sold it with almost 200k on the clock.

This will put you WAY upsidedown in a car but if you need,and you do,a reliable vehicle then I would go trade it in on another.
The payment will suck but it won't hit you all at once
And it will get rid of that $3800. Probably won't get 3800 for the car but it will get rid of some
And good luck

Thanks Joe.

I'm a little broke, but not in a bad situation. I can go buy another car tomorrow with much of a problem. I can always sell a gun or two to get some cash (not that I want to)

Real problem is I owe like $3800 still on it.
I found a engine for a 2010 model that should fit the same for $800. I know a mechanic that could do it ( just not sure of the time frame) I think I could do it, but again time would be an issue.

Worst case senario I could buy a new car
(Used, but newer) put a new engine in it and recoup what money I can.

Get an engine new, or used the same year with low miles!
If it is not the same year engine and transmission make sure the computer goes with it. Things have changed I am going through the same thing but with a transmission. Only three years fit my rig and they made that transmission since 1990. So at least be sure of the fit before you jump.
Silver Hand

So I'm feeling completely stupid today. About a week ago my car (09 Ford Escape) started making some engine noises. Slight knocking. But sounded more like a rattle.
Then a couple days ago got worse, and yesterday got worse. So today finally checked my oil. It was super low. Added 3qts and it was still a qt low.
Paid $140 to have the oil changed and headed to work, the noise got worse until it started clunking and running rough, then started to die.

Got it towed to a shop by my house.

This of course is a horrible time since I'm broke and already had charged my credit card up on other issues.

So my question to the community is what is the best option to get the most money from a vehicle with a blown engine?
Technically it still runs, although barely. The rest of the vehicle is in decent shape.
It has brand new tires, shocks, and struts.

I know the best option is to part it out annd more money over the next year, but that's not an option for me.

I work full time and have to young kids that I take and pick up from daycare. I need a ride soon.

Any advice or suggestions would be welcome.

And feel free to call me an idiot, chick, or any other names that would be pretty accurate about now.

Find a similar mileage donor and swap it in whole. With a low oil situation you could have metal flakes everywhere that will and could eat up bearings even if you have everything surfaced and cleaned.

Maybe you mentioned how many miles it has on it and I missed it. But that would be good info to have before recommending a fix.
Wouldn't be smart to put a new motor in it if everything else is at or near the end of days. Especially the transmission. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses to move forward.

No disrespect intended, but $140 for an oil change?
Bhahaha, I know right. I stopped and thought about that for a good 30secs. Wow. I change my own oil, and have since I was 10yrs old when made dad showed me how, then he made me do it regularly on all my parents vehicles.
Gotta admit I blew up a "bulletproof" motor the famed Toyota 22RE in my 91 xcab. Huge hill + low oil = blown 3rd cylinder.
I stay on top of oil changes now, and prefer diesels because they only need oil changes every 10k miles.
Id get a used motor and do it myself.
Jasper motors have to be installed by ASE certified mechanic and paperwork has to filed to get the warranty.
If you have a shop install a motor make sure they will stand behind their work.

Yeah I was originally looking at a Subaru forester, but now I'm leaning towards the Honda Crv
4runners are nice too! keep in mind a lot of these small SUVs are AWD and if you blow a tire then u gotta do 4new tires or 1 shaved tire. my brother was a little irritated about that with his impreza wagon.

It has 154,000 miles on it. Not low mileage, but not super high.

Shop just called said it would be $3400 for a used 26k mileage engine.

I'm checking with a friend who has family who are mechanics.

To me the time and cost aren't worth saving it.

I do a lot of my own repairs out of lack of funds, but swapping a motor may be too much. If I had the time I'd do it.

I'm going to strip what I can off from it and sell it for a parts/mechanics special car.
If I can get $1000 in parts and the vehicle I'll be happy.
Hell those tires I just paid $700 for like 2 months ago!
The tow hitch I can sell and the shocks and struts I can sell they are only a couple months old.

Well I had the oil changed, wipers, and a few bulbs I had out. Year they charged a butt load for bulbs, but I hadn't had the time to do it.

I always do the full synthetic oil for my vehicles.

And the thing is I hate this car (suv)
I've had a lot of issues with it, from door lock actuators going out, throttle body going out, then just the usual brakes, tires, shocks and struts, and the list goes on.
I can strip the tow package, and brand new tires and sell them.

In that case you better stay away from Craig's List:eek:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews