JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm feeling completely stupid today. About a week ago my car (09 Ford Escape) started making some engine noises. Slight knocking. But sounded more like a rattle.
Then a couple days ago got worse, and yesterday got worse. So today finally checked my oil. It was super low. Added 3qts and it was still a qt low.
Paid $140 to have the oil changed and headed to work, the noise got worse until it started clunking and running rough, then started to die.

Got it towed to a shop by my house.

This of course is a horrible time since I'm broke and already had charged my credit card up on other issues.

So my question to the community is what is the best option to get the most money from a vehicle with a blown engine?
Technically it still runs, although barely. The rest of the vehicle is in decent shape.
It has brand new tires, shocks, and struts.

I know the best option is to part it out annd more money over the next year, but that's not an option for me.

I work full time and have to young kids that I take and pick up from daycare. I need a ride soon.

Any advice or suggestions would be welcome.

And feel free to call me an idiot, chick, or any other names that would be pretty accurate about now.

Been there man:(. (Was a lot younger then I am now but once you blow an engine from lack of oil, it kind of sticks with you).

Engine swap from a u-pull it would be the most expedient and cheapest if you knew someone that could do it.

Selling it will get you bottom dollar fast but not replace your ride unless you can invest some extra to get a more reliable rig.

You have my deepest empathy - there are no good answers for this one. I broke a cardinal rule and borrowed $400 from a friend not that long ago to have a bearing replaced. He was cool with it but it weighed heavily on me until it was returned.

I wish you the very best and hope you find a workable answer for it.

Thanks Joe.

I'm a little broke, but not in a bad situation. I can go buy another car tomorrow with much of a problem. I can always sell a gun or two to get some cash (not that I want to)

Real problem is I owe like $3800 still on it.
I found a engine for a 2010 model that should fit the same for $800. I know a mechanic that could do it ( just not sure of the time frame) I think I could do it, but again time would be an issue.

Worst case senario I could buy a new car
(Used, but newer) put a new engine in it and recoup what money I can.

i would go with a used engine or a remanufactured jasper engine. jasper engines come with a 5yr/100k mile parts and labor warranty. usually wrecking yard engines come with some sort of warranty... like a 60 day warranty. a used engine is definitely less expensive for the short term atleast... sometimes ya luck out and get a good used engine. if i were you, that is the way id go.

also, when your mechanic does your engine swap make sure you tell them you want all of the parts off of your bad engine (assuming the used engine comes complete) like sensors, coil packs, or whatever for extras down the road... he has to take them off anyway more than likely...the wrecking yard usually asks for the core back and ive ALWAYS sent them back stripped with no complaints.

pay your mechanic do a waterpump (ive done a half dozen or so water pumps on escapes for the impeller breaking.) spark plugs and t-stat. usually when the engine is out of the car they will cut you a break on labor(at work, i do.) i usually give the customer the option to fix oil leaks before i put used engines in too and will cut down the labor time.

just my .02

sorry bout your luck man. :(

+1 for the Used Rout! I would go a few steps further then v0lcom13sn0w recommends and pull the oil pan and have a good look at the bottom end while cleaning it all out really good, I would also pull all the rod and main caps one at a time and check all bearings while looking at the bottom of the cylinders for any Freddy Kruger Scrapes! Once every thing is sound on the bottom end, Replace the oil pump and clean/replace the pick up screen/tube and seal it back up with new gasket and seals! Do the water pump and t-stat while you have it sitting there out of the rig. Depending on the supposed millage, A timing chain assembly and any tensioners might also be a good idea! From there, you should have a good engine that should get you down the road for quite a while longer until you can build up finances to replace it with , and have a decent rig to sell/trade when the time comes! Make sure to fill with good new oil and change it out after the first 500 or so miles with good fresh oil. I also recommend using full synthetic oils for all newer cars, In fact, ALL engines!!! I had a 360ci Dodge with half a million miles on it and found copper in the oil one time, I didn't have the money or a place to pull the engine and rebuild, so I put 100% full synthetic oil in it and got 3 more years out of that engine! I feel ya bro, good luck to ya!

Bummer! I've blown an engine once - a V6 Chevy S-10, loved that truck. In the end, looking at the cost to replace the engine, I sold it to a repair shop, someone my father knew well, for a decent price, took a loss, of course, but invested the money in a replacement that I still have to this day. The shop that bought it dropped in a replacement engine and put it up for sale a few months later.

I think we've all been through something like this...It happens my friend. It's not much solace right now, but you'll look back at these tougher times and have fond memories, even of the tough times.

A 2009 rig that was 3 qts low of oil has more issues than being low on oil.

I vote for a rebuild motor swap if you like the car.

If you don't like it I vote for 50 pounds of tannerite on the drivers seat and a well placed shot

I mean might as well make the most of a bad situation :D

Well I had the oil changed, wipers, and a few bulbs I had out. Year they charged a butt load for bulbs, but I hadn't had the time to do it.

I always do the full synthetic oil for my vehicles.

And the thing is I hate this car (suv)
I've had a lot of issues with it, from door lock actuators going out, throttle body going out, then just the usual brakes, tires, shocks and struts, and the list goes on.
I can strip the tow package, and brand new tires and sell them.

I have been looking at getting a new vehicle for the last year.

I drive a lot for work and driving the kids to/from daycare, and I'm looking at getting a promotion next week so I will be driving even more.

I need a reliable, safe vehicle.

I would love to just buy a new vehicle and buy a used engine and do the swap then sell it for what I can, but it would take me months at this point.
Or I can pay someone else to do it and possibly cost more than it's worth.

A girlfriend long ago had her oil changed on her Subaru and they forgot to put the cap back on. She discovered it at my place after it had started making "the noise". Bone empty.
I filled it up (Castrol 20-50, baby!), put a cork in it and told her to drive it.. horrible noises and all. It freed itself up on her way home (about 20 miles) and stopped making noises and drove problem-free for many tens of thousands of miles thereafter.
Drive (gently) it 'til it breaks or not is what I'd do.

Well I had the oil changed, wipers, and a few bulbs I had out. Year they charged a butt load for bulbs, but I hadn't had the time to do it.

I always do the full synthetic oil for my vehicles.

And the thing is I hate this car (suv)
I've had a lot of issues with it, from door lock actuators going out, throttle body going out, then just the usual brakes, tires, shocks and struts, and the list goes on.
I can strip the tow package, and brand new tires and sell them.

I have been looking at getting a new vehicle for the last year.

I drive a lot for work and driving the kids to/from daycare, and I'm looking at getting a promotion next week so I will be driving even more.

I need a reliable, safe vehicle.
get a honda or toyota for reliability. i work at a GM dealership and there's a reason i bought a new toyota over a new GM.

A girlfriend long ago had her oil changed on her Subaru and they forgot to put the cap back on. She discovered it at my place after it had started making "the noise". Bone empty.
I filled it up (Castrol 20-50, baby!), put a cork in it and told her to drive it.. horrible noises and all. It freed itself up on her way home (about 20 miles) and stopped making noises and drove problem-free for many tens of thousands of miles thereafter.
Drive (gently) it 'til it breaks or not is what I'd do.

Well thats why I had the oil changed and then it got worse, much worse.

Craigslist has an 07 engine for sale in Oregon city. It's only $500.00.
Just looking at what it takes to do an engine swap in one of these cars makes me cringe.
Maybe it's a driver and you could use it until some extra cash comes your way.

"Engine for sale. Good condition. Call for details (971) 713-6346"

post id: 5837859226

00c0c_hlsf1dFg9YK_600x450.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads