JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Willys 134L engine in my 48 CJ-2A I built

140cu in 7.2-1 compression Balanced nut to pressure plate MSD-6D spark box Electric fan electric fuel pump Weber DGV 32-36 custom made aluminum intake and a one off TRI Y header design with 2.25" exhaust. Spin on bypass oil filter and the Fresh air intake pulling from above and infront of the radiator. I shaved the block .007" and the the head .035" Bored .060" over

Yesterday we got 17+ MPG on a 169 mile trip mostly 50-55mph with a LOT of hills and stop and go stuff doing a Winery and Antiquing trip. I have had it to 70mph The only Dyno pull I have on it showed 46.23HP at 3640rpm with a very flat curve. Runs 180-185° all day long I'll know the exact mileage when I fill the tank again. When I stick the tank there appears to be a gallon or so left. I run 87 Octane E-10

iWi6DP8.jpg

08TBlJ0.jpg

LzmLwFR.jpg

At Cape Lookout south of Tillamook last weekend. That was a 260 or so mile trip.

hUzDxYg.jpg

5won4cY.jpg

I'm working on an Aluminum hard top and as soon as that is finished up I start on the little Offroad capable trailer I have designed. We retire in 20 months and I should be close to having everything done by then MANY MANY adventures ahead of us.

Nice! I have a '48 CJ2A that my Grandfather bought new. It hasn't left the tree farm in almost 50 years, but we use it to run around and do odd jobs. All stock except for a 12V conversion. I did add turn signals when the kids wanted to drive it to school, 4 miles each way. Mom vetoed that, saying the had to have shoulder harnesses and air bags!

Are you still running the stock steering system? Ours got really loose by 1960, and I rebuilt the idler arm a few years ago. Still some backlash in the sector, but the bushings are worn. I'll have to replace them and then see if I need to replace more parts.

Nice! I have a '48 CJ2A that my Grandfather bought new. It hasn't left the tree farm in almost 50 years, but we use it to run around and do odd jobs. All stock except for a 12V conversion. I did add turn signals when the kids wanted to drive it to school, 4 miles each way. Mom vetoed that, saying the had to have shoulder harnesses and air bags!

Are you still running the stock steering system? Ours got really loose by 1960, and I rebuilt the idler arm a few years ago. Still some backlash in the sector, but the bushings are worn. I'll have to replace them and then see if I need to replace more parts.
No my steering is all NEW a Saginaw 525 manual box with Borgenson uU joints and Vibration dampner with a IDDIT classic Hot Rod column (looks just like the stock one) With a modified Joes Racing Products Aluminum 15" steering wheel. And HD single tube Tie Rod and Drag link.

It handles like a really tight sports car

You might go to Walcks.com and look at the Tight Steer unit to help yours.

My good friend has a couple of these jeeps and they sure look like a ton of fun. He keeps saying we need to put it on a trailer so I can pull it over to the east side and go have some fun with the windshield down.

My good friend has a couple of these jeeps and they sure look like a ton of fun. He keeps saying we need to put it on a trailer so I can pull it over to the east side and go have some fun with the windshield down.
The main reason I built mine the way I did was so we could go on long trips without the need of a tow rig. We have trips planned as long as 4-5 thousand miles in the Willys and a small off road trailet.

No my steering is all NEW a Saginaw 525 manual box with Borgenson uU joints and Vibration dampner with a IDDIT classic Hot Rod column (looks just like the stock one) With a modified Joes Racing Products Aluminum 15" steering wheel. And HD single tube Tie Rod and Drag link.

It handles like a really tight sports car

You might go to Walcks.com and look at the Tight Steer unit to help yours.
At 10-15 MPH and longest distance is 1-1/2 miles, I can put up with a little slop. I remember taking it out to the duck lake 15 miles one way, and it shimmying so bad you couldn't keep it in your own lane at 40 MPH!

At 10-15 MPH and longest distance is 1-1/2 miles, I can put up with a little slop. I remember taking it out to the duck lake 15 miles one way, and it shimmying so bad you couldn't keep it in your own lane at 40 MPH!
Yea thats a problem. Willys jeep get judged by the condition they are in 70+ years old when new or completely rebuilt they are pretty nice to drive. Granted I went way past rebuilt but then I built mine to do 500 miles in a day at 55mph towing a small trailer so things have to be right.

Gosh, that is a thing of beauty ! Are you ever going to get it dirty?
You said "46 HP"? What RPMs is it turning at speed? 45-50mph?

The 46.23 HP was a Dyno test run during the tuning of the Weber carb by a local Weber expert. I have shaved a full second off my 1/4 mile time and added 3mph with recent timing and intake changes. SO its more then that rating now. Also the Dyno run was done with the OD engaged which has an effect on the outcome.

55mph in OD is 2440 rpm

max torque is at 2410rpm so very very close to ideal for 55mph

Its been in the Woods a couple times now even done some hill climbing and jumping up and down on snow. I just wash it!

Last Edited:
Willys 134L engine in my 48 CJ-2A I built

140cu in 7.2-1 compression Balanced nut to pressure plate MSD-6D spark box Electric fan electric fuel pump Weber DGV 32-36 custom made aluminum intake and a one off TRI Y header design with 2.25" exhaust. Spin on bypass oil filter and the Fresh air intake pulling from above and infront of the radiator. I shaved the block .007" and the the head .035" Bored .060" over

Yesterday we got 17+ MPG on a 169 mile trip mostly 50-55mph with a LOT of hills and stop and go stuff doing a Winery and Antiquing trip. I have had it to 70mph The only Dyno pull I have on it showed 46.23HP at 3640rpm with a very flat curve. Runs 180-185° all day long I'll know the exact mileage when I fill the tank again. When I stick the tank there appears to be a gallon or so left. I run 87 Octane E-10

View attachment 1271734

View attachment 1271735

View attachment 1271736

At Cape Lookout south of Tillamook last weekend. That was a 260 or so mile trip.

View attachment 1271737

View attachment 1271738

I'm working on an Aluminum hard top and as soon as that is finished up I start on the little Offroad capable trailer I have designed. We retire in 20 months and I should be close to having everything done by then MANY MANY adventures ahead of us.
Very nice!

Amazing. I had one in my youth about 1980 and took a friend up the "Widow Maker" hill - mine was pretty rough but it was a Billy Goat. My friend jumped out in shear panic going up cause he though for sure we were tipping backward, and yes, I came very close to it, but made it where 90% of the fancy Jeeps/trucks could not.
Geez. Why in our YOUTH do we take so many chances we refuse to take in our old age. I probably have 12-15 good years left I should get back on a crouch rocket.

Amazing. I had one in my youth about 1980 and took a friend up the "Widow Maker" hill - mine was pretty rough but it was a Billy Goat. My friend jumped out in shear panic going up cause he though for sure we were tipping backward, and yes, I came very close to it, but made it where 90% of the fancy Jeeps/trucks could not.
Geez. Why in our YOUTH do we take so many chances we refuse to take in our old age. I probably have 12-15 good years left I should get back on a crouch rocket.
I don't have the reflexes I had when I was riding crotch rockets. Plus it has fully sunk in that I am mortal.

You might find it interesting, THE Widowmaker hill climb, south end of The Salt Lake Valley. There's a great video you can Google up. Mid '70s. The best time of my riding days.

I don't have the reflexes I had when I was riding crotch rockets. Plus it has fully sunk in that I am mortal.
In order to contain myself but still have fun, considering picking up a Dual Purpose bike. A Yamaha TW200 or Kawasaki KLX300sm. Both are about 300lbs and could easily be put in my van and enjoyed out away from people texting while driving and using me for a bowling pin.

In order to contain myself but still have fun, considering picking up a Dual Purpose bike. A Yamaha TW200 or Kawasaki KLX300sm. Both are about 300lbs and could easily be put in my van and enjoyed out away from people texting while driving and using me for a bowling pin.
My old KLX300 got me anywhere I wanted to go, I sure miss that bike. Was the first new bike I ever bought. But, someone else decided they needed it more than me as it got stolen.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top