JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am finally got some of my reloading stuff out. I am wanting to reload 7mm mag. Going through my brass and 3 of the nickel platted brass have blemishes on them. It looks like corrosion. Can I tumble them an then use them? Or should I scrap them?

20230910_170801.jpg

It really depends on how bad it is, is it surface tarnish or is it deeper and if so, how deep? There's no harm in cleaning them up to see how bad it might be. As for using them, again depends on how bad it is but you won't know till you clean then.

Also from left to right: the first one is the one I'd be watching more closely due to the dark spot, possible pitting. Second one I'd watch as well for pitting but looks more like it's just surface corrosion which can easily be cleaned. Third look like it's just surface tarnish, so should easily be able to be cleaned off.

But this it just from what I can see, if they are in good shape I'd use them. But as with all things, if you don't feel comfortable using them, than don't.
Nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution if you don't feel comfortable using them, safety first.

Last Edited:
Clean them then inspect them then decide. If there is pitting, especially on high pressure rounds like belted magnums, I'd discard them.
I use fine 0000 steel wool to remove surface crud on brass or nickel plated cases.

If you are really unsure about them, and just don't feel right about loading them, it's only 3 shells. Chuck 'em. Unless, of course, you are hurting for 7mm Mag brass.

If you are hurting for shells, let me look, I may have a few I can just give you.

It depends. Cleaning the affected areas with 0000 steel wool of Scotchbrite pad might reveal the extent of the corrosion. The green verdigris of corrosion comes from the brass, not the nickel plating. So it's known that the corrosion is into the brass to some degree. The case on the right in the picture is probably okay without further investigation.

Okay, just for the sake of argument, what could happen? The chamber of the rifle, and bolt/lugs is what contains the pressure. The case simply holds bullet, powder and primer.
Me, personally, chuck cases with corrosion that has consumed any brass that I can feel with a fingernail/tool.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews