JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe something in the brass extrusion process? Maybe a few were not fully formed. They look ok before firing, only because they are new and once fired they show up. I dunno....;)

Maybe the base of the bullet has a crimp pattern or some other irregular shape. And as it clears the brass the expanding gasses are not distributed evenly. Leaving these streaks in the brass at the corresponding irregular shapes in the base of the projectile?

Break a round down and examine a Bullet. :s0092:

Something like this along with other factors. Like the ammo not being hot enough to expand the brass very well against the chamber walls and making a good seal. Or hard brass causing the same. Could be the culprit?

Well, the metallurgical aspects of ammo brass is beyond my knowledge. I am still puzzled why only two rounds out of 50 would show the stains.

Only two rounds? Hrm, my conclusions may be off and maybe you grabbed some brass from another gun.

The big possibility here is brass is made in a progressive drawing process. for 9mm, it's usually 2 draws, a bump (pocketing and heading), turn and trim (forms the extraction groove, and turns the case mouth), taper and plug (pretty much a sizing die). It is usually done on multi-tooled presses, so it's quite possible that there was one tool stack that was wearing out, and made some slight variations in the case that resulted in this "stain".

Only two rounds? Hrm, my conclusions may be off and maybe you grabbed some brass from another gun.

The big possibility here is brass is made in a progressive drawing process. for 9mm, it's usually 2 draws, a bump (pocketing and heading), turn and trim (forms the extraction groove, and turns the case mouth), taper and plug (pretty much a sizing die). It is usually done on multi-tooled presses, so it's quite possible that there was one tool stack that was wearing out, and made some slight variations in the case that resulted in this "stain".

It's occurred to me that perhaps the solution lies in contacting Blazer . I'll send in the picture and see what they have to say. If they can't figure it out then we can speculate wildly but never really know for sure, I guess.:s0082:

If that were the case, then that would be the last time I would be buying any Blazer ammo.

Given the complexity of ammunition manufacturing, unless it's a critical problem, the chances of getting an answer to your query is probably going to be beyond the effort they're willing to put in.

I say this speaking as someone who manufactures ammo. I might be curious, however it's not something I would investigate beyond pure curiosity, even then I would also need the lot tracking number off the box. Do you have that?

Given the complexity of ammunition manufacturing, unless it's a critical problem, the chances of getting an answer to your query is probably going to be beyond the effort they're willing to put in.

I say this speaking as someone who manufactures ammo. I might be curious, however it's not something I would investigate beyond pure curiosity, even then I would also need the lot tracking number off the box. Do you have that?
I agree...it's just a curiosity. I thought someone would chime in with a definitive, " Oh, that's from..." but the brass or ammo doesn't seem affected so as those two cases get cycled through the reload process a few times, that might be further clarified. Other than that, Nyah...moving on to other mysteries such as, how to shoot better or buy more guns without the wife divorcing me. Things like that.

View attachment 309692 Went up into the hills today to run a few rounds through my new M&P Shield 9mm. A 'few' turned out to be 50 rounds of 124gr Aguilar and 50 rounds of 124gr Blazers. When I got home, I was inspecting the empty brass and noticed a very odd stains on a couple of blazer cases - nothing on the Aguilar's. I have attached a photo and am wondering if you were any of you ammo wizards out there could identify what's going on with this particular stain. Stain is very regular around the whole case.
Are you sure you didnt pick up brass fired from a 9mm mp5 clone with a fluted chamber? There are a few guys around here with them and they'll leave their brass behind. Since none of the other brand did this and only a few of the blazer brass, Id put money on the fact that this isnt your actual brass. Far as I know only a fluted chamber does that. Otherwise youd most likely have carbon blotches from escaping gas, not perfect lines.

Just my .02¢

Are you sure you didnt pick up brass fired from a 9mm mp5 clone with a fluted chamber? There are a few guys around here with them and they'll leave their brass behind. Since none of the other brand did this and only a few of the blazer brass, Id put money on the fact that this isnt your actual brass. Far as I know only a fluted chamber does that. Otherwise youd most likely have carbon blotches from escaping gas, not perfect lines.

Just my .02¢

I'm liking this idea. I mean heck I shot 40 rounds the other day and came home with this:
IMG_9954.JPG

Maybe those homies left their MP5 fodder behind..

Just my .02¢
hmmm...interesting thought! I spent more time chasing brass than actual shooting and I did come back with several rounds of other mfgrs. So I'd say it's possible...BUT...the fact that the two stained cases were shiny new and the same brand I was shooting keeps the mystery alive in my mind.

hmmm...interesting thought! I spent more time chasing brass than actual shooting and I did come back with several rounds of other mfgrs. So I'd say it's possible...BUT...the fact that the two stained cases were shiny new and the same brand I was shooting keeps the mystery alive in my mind.
Well if you put a tarp down next time to catch the brass, you can be pretty positive it's you if you find another one.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top