JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I've uncovered some articles from a few years back regarding the possession and storage of black powder in Washington state and then looked up the current regs. As far as I know, the five pound limit on storage in private residences still stands. To me it seems rather onerous and nanny-state ish, but that's a discussion for another time. Are there any current efforts to bring state law more in line with federal law, which allows for private citizens to possess up to 50 pounds of BP?

Sure you want to be advertising that on a public forum? Big brother may be watching :p

I guess one of my main questions is if this law is even enforceable. It seems to me there are probably at least a few thousand ml hobbyists in Washington state, and the only way for the authorities to determine if you have more than the legal limit is to search one's house. The police can only do that with a warrant and unless they see you with a big box that says BLACK POWDER on the side in big red letters, they aren't going to have probable cause to search your house.

I believe powder substitutes fall under the same legislation that smokeless powders do. You can have up to 25 pounds unrestricted, but substitutes are better suited to inline muzzleloaders that use modern shotgun or rifle primers for ignition. For a flintlock or caplock, real bp, in my opinion, is going to be a better choice.

So, I've uncovered some articles from a few years back regarding the possession and storage of black powder in Washington state and then looked up the current regs. As far as I know, the five pound limit on storage in private residences still stands. To me it seems rather onerous and nanny-state ish, but that's a discussion for another time. Are there any current efforts to bring state law more in line with federal law, which allows for private citizens to possess up to 50 pounds of BP?

Just quickly did some research and it looks like we do indeed have a 5 pound black powder limit. A bill was proposed in 2011, I guess it failed as we are discussing the subject. I can't find the actual bill number just that it was introduced by Barbara Bailey, R-Oak Harbor. I'm trying to find the actual code but have seen several references to a 20 pound smokeless powder limit in Washington.

I watched the session very closely this year and saw nothing in play in regards to black powder storage limits.

:D
Its just me, but I wouldn't want more than 20 lb inside my house.
I used to make my own BP when I was a kid. Charcoal, sulphur an saltpeter with a mortar & pestal.
I could list a bunch of non humorous events with it as well as the better uses. Its a little volatile when not put into the right containers or a little bit of static charge :rolleyes:
I would keep that amount out in a storage shed. I think I would prefer to use pyrodex or something modern. Even the smokeless stuff causes excitement.
We had a couple 50# kegs of 4831 in the spare room I used for reloading years ago when our home burnt down. We were on a farm, and I had that and lots of other reloading powders in there also. The firemen told us about it when we got back from vacation.
Things got real lively there.
Kind of starwarsy...........
A squirrel got into the wiring ....That was what started it.

Can you please link me to the RCW or at least post what one deals with private parties and black powder?

BLACK POWDER
WAC 296-52-71075 Shipping containers. Black powder, used in muzzleloading firearms must be packed,
stored, and transported in U.S. DOT approved shipping containers.
WAC 296-52-71080 Storage.
(1) Private residence. No more than 5 pounds of black powder is permitted. No restrictions apply.
(2) Private car. No more than 5 pounds of black powder is permitted. No restrictions apply.

RCW 70.74.340
Small arms ammunition, primers and propellants — Transportation, storage and display requirements.
Black powder as used in muzzle loading firearms may be transported in a private vehicle or stored without restriction in private residences in quantities not to exceed five pounds.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews