JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Your dog bit me, I'm afraid my son is next, we will not be back to your house until the dog is in the yard for the whole visit."

This is what I would say.

I've never had a dog seriously bite me. My parent's Westie nipped me because he didn't want to go somewhere and my parents were not good about disciplining him. He didn't mean to damage me - he just was being stubborn and didn't want to leave (I eventually coaxed him to get into the car) and wanted to express his displeasure in me making him leave. This is how dogs are if they feel they are higher up the totem pole than you are.

Of course, some dogs are messed up and need some training and discipline. It sounds like this dog has that problem and is not going to get what it needs.

When it comes to choosing between my child and a pet, my child will win every time without even a thought to the contrary (unless of course the child is mistreating an animal).

Fortunately I don't have in-laws (or a wife) anymore, so I don't need to make a choice, but if I did, and I had a minor child (my child is an adult), then I would not let that child in that house. The grandparents would be welcome to visit my house - without the dog.

1st 2nd and 3rd trip to the inlaws the dog was outside before we even went inside.

i feel good that they respect me enough to honor the decision i made for my son. shows me they really care.

Glad to hear! I'm having similar issues with my sisters Great Pyrenees. No kids involved, and it hasn't bit yet, but it could easily go that way. It's an alpha issue, the dogs thinks it's in charge of the house.

Every time I'm there it always growls and tries to establish dominance. I've tried to get her more comfortable with me by using treats in exchange for obedience. But she always switches back to growling, jumping on me, and blocking my path. It's starting to make me angry. My sister and her husband never have anyone else over, so I have my doubts anything will change for the better.

Not sure how big the dog is or your bravery level, but I have found with smaller dogs like that if ignoring them doesn't work, stick your hand in its mouth - it will figure out real fast that your not scared of it and biting won't get it anywhere.

There are a lot of "IF's" in the advice though so take it with a grain of salt.

Kids and dogs man! People should have to go thru 20x the hourly training to have either of those then they have to take to carry a gun....

1st 2nd and 3rd trip to the inlaws the dog was outside before we even went inside.

i feel good that they respect me enough to honor the decision i made for my son. shows me they really care.

Well it's eithe that or they are afraid of loosing grandson privileges;)

Either way it sounds like a win for everyone involved.

Congrats and great job handling a very hot situation!:cool:

11 breeds that statistically bite the most:

Chihuahua

They may not look like much, but Chihuahuas pack a fierce bite when they become frightened. They have sharp, little teeth that can tear through skin. Although, it is often warned that Chihuahuas are chronically nasty dogs, but what most people don't realize is that Chihuahuas are fiercely loyal animals that react however their owner reacts. If they have an owner that strikes first and questions second, they will likely do the same. Be sure to teach your Chihuahua proper manners to ensure that they don't become a biter.

Bulldog

Bulldogs are generally kind and gentle dogs and most of them have a very patient and sweet nature that bond well with children. Although, they have a tendency to become snappy if not properly trained or if they are trained to do so. They are very impressionable dogs and although patient, they will react if they feel they are threatened.

Pit Bull

Well, it has to be addressed. Pit Bulls are remarkably strong animals and can be very intimidating if they don't like you. They are also fiercely protective of their owner and family and generally don't get along well with other breeds. An issue with this breed is that they are simply too strong for their own good which can get them into some serious trouble. Often, what they perceive as playing may be mistaken as dangerous and that's when the problems arise. Like any breed, there's also the issue of them being trained to be aggressive and dangerous which makes them a lethal weapon due to their strength.

German Shepherd

There's a reason that these animals are used for military and police force dogs and it isn't just because of their sense of smell. German Shepherds are easily trained, so biting shouldn't be a problem. Although, if not properly trained and socialized this breed can be very aggressive towards other animals and strangers which can lead to quite a few problems–and lawsuits.

Australian Shepherd

Another Shepherd breed, Aussies are generally known for being sweet and affectionate dogs. If you ask any Aussie owner (who's dog is over the age of 2), they will tell you that it's the best dog they've ever had. So, why are they on this list? Well, if you know anything about herding animals, it's that they will nip and push you until you do what they want you to do making this breed a chronic biter. Even though they do not bite to hurt you, they bite to force you which can be a problem for many dog owners who don't understand them.

Lhasa Apso
(Tibetan Temple Watch dogs - insanely smart and the name translates into Little Lion, which mine resembles at certain times depending on how they are groomed)

Like many small breeds, this breed is known for biting simply because it is aware of its size. This is not a breed that is recommended to be around children because they are easily hurt and easily frightened which means they won't hesitate to bite in defense. This breed works better with older children who know how to treat a dog gently and also children who know when the dog needs some alone time. Knowing when enough is enough is essential for this breed because they are also quite independent and value their alone time.

Jack Russell Terrier

Jack Russells are hard dogs to train because they are very independent and often view themselves as the alpha male. Because of this, they have a tendency to become biters if not trained properly. This breed needs a strong and firm owner who can show them, without hurting them, who's in charge of who. Without a strong owner, a Jack Russell is likely to display dominance over its owner in the form of biting and will often do the same to other animals unless they are trained and socialized properly.

Cocker Spaniel

Cocker Spaniels have been widely known as the most gentle and sweet-tempered dog you could have. Although, in recent times, they have been known to suffer from rage syndrome which can affect a number of breeds. Rage syndrome is a serious behavioral problem that is actually very rare. But, when it has been seen it can be incredibly dangerous. There are treatments for this problem but these treatments are different for each individual dog. The most tell-tale symptom of this problem is that the dog will react with sudden aggression to anyone nearby and it has been reported that a dog will awaken from a deep sleep with this rage and attack anyone within biting distance.

Pekingese

A Pekingese is likely to become a biter because of their aloof personality and ackowledgement of their size. They are incredibly self-aware in terms of their visual appeal and their size so they often perceive sudden movements, as with children, as a threat and don't respond well to rough play which can make them react aggressively.

Papillon

Shockingly enough, Papillons are also known to suffer from rage syndrome despite their small size. This just goes to show you that it doesn't matter how big or small a dog is, they all have the potential to become aggressive biters. Although they are mostly mild-mannered and loving dogs, this breed can suffer from rage syndrome and is entirely aware of its small size, like a Pekingese. It's important to be calm and gentle with them and train them properly to ensure they have a well-mannered disposition.

Hope this helps with some perspective.

Chows and other large dogs are some that are worse than others , bottom line is .

It all starts at home , just like raising kids. Small dogs are biting maybe more often in home and unreported .

As a animal cop my gal can't recall a rat pack (small dogs) in her case files that took down in public a person. Not saying it can happen.

A wennie dog, pug and papillon
I guess could be a BAD A$$ CREW!!!

SERIOUSLY , any size when they pack up is a problem!

Chows and other large dogs are some that are worse than others , bottom line is .

It all starts at home , just like raising kids. Small dogs are biting maybe more often in home and unreported .

As a animal cop my gal can't recall a rat pack (small dogs) in her case files that took down in public a person. Not saying it can happen.

A wennie dog, pug and papillon
I guess could be a BAD A$$ CREW!!!

SERIOUSLY , any size when they pack up is a problem!

I'm sure there are few serious attacks by small dogs in the US but I have heard of packs of street dogs in South American countries being problems, maybe they are just rumors though.

Totally agree with it starting at home. I have found little dogs bite more out of fear then aggression.

Hell my wife's 16lb dog would fit inside my buddies St. Bernard's mouth so I can't really blame them for a nip if you step on them or something.

Having said that, neither of mine have ever bit someone from the household or any friends.

My Neuf sure has issues with other dogs now! Not that I blame him, he sees all dogs as hostile! He is also showing agression towards other dogs and this has been something I am watching and working on very much! Last thing I need is a 200lb dog with a bad attitude. I have been taking him to dog parks where there are lots of other dogs, and this seams to be helping. If any one has any ideas I can try, I'm all ears!

We feel for both of you, glad to hear he survived.

Hope others read this also, when she take our GS out she also adds to her EDC list (C2 taser & 938) an ASP.

AKA bite stick / control stick.
Sounds like the social networking at parks and general public is helping and will take time. But don't give up!

BE safe

I'm sure there are few serious attacks by small dogs in the US but I have heard of packs of street dogs in South American countries being problems, maybe they are just rumors though.

Totally agree with it starting at home. I have found little dogs bite more out of fear then aggression.

Hell my wife's 16lb dog would fit inside my buddies St. Bernard's mouth so I can't really blame them for a nip if you step on them or something.

Having said that, neither of mine have ever bit someone from the household or any friends.

The biggest problem with little dogs is .... THEY PEE ON EVERYTHING !

LMAO

Hope others read this also, when she take our GS out she also adds to her EDC list (C2 taser & 938) an ASP.

Sounds like the social networking at parks and general public is helping and will take time. But don't give up!

BE safe

Yea, I gotta be honest - I've lived in my neighborhood for so long that I often do not take a gun with me (I don't take my wallet) but picking up 2 small dogs while fending off an aggressive large dog would've insanely stupid.

We have a few people that have turned thier homes into rentals over the years so it's not unthinkable that it could happen.

Looks like I'm taking my wallet and gun from here on out.

Not to add fuel to the fire with the breed thing, But I see mainly Pits owned by young people who are less then steller citizens and seem to need to prove something by having a pitbull. I think pits get most of the bad rap because of this! Sad really!

BE safe
He is doing a lot better but still has issues with one on one incounters while out for his walks while on leash! He is such a great dog and very frendly to every one. I know it's going to take a long time for him to learn that most dogs are not a threat and that many if not most would much reather play!

A lot of it has to do with the environment too.
Not just breed.
If they are used to a calm quiet environment then all of the sudden people are over and there's some chaos then that might incite the dogs nervous tension or anxiety to snap.

Any time we have people over our dog gets locked in the staircase from our baby gate until things calm down.
Her biting was never an issue but her tail is like a baseball bat.
Leaves lots of buises.
Our daughter got used to looking like a boxer with her dukes up every time the dog walked by.

Speaking of pits, my sister in law has 2. one is 65lbs one is 120lbs. He is massive and quite honestly,she is a great dog owner, id likely trust my son with those two dogs over 'the assailant' those two pits are the biggest softies ever.

on the other hand,

the other day at work there was an incident where a guy walking his boxer (had him leashed, as he should) on the same route for atleast the last 5 years was attacked by an un leashed pitbull who had ran over, barking,growling and not letting up. Needless to say, the attack ended when the owner of the boxer being attacked pulled out his EDC and put bullet in the pitbull. the pitbulls owner (who was atleast 100yrds away) ran away in his huge yellow coat and sagging jeans and wasnt seen again(im guessing he was on parole or had a warrant).

Law enforcement was immediately called after the situation. when they arrived im assuming they asked "what happened" and thats the last i heard of it. the following week, the guy was walking his boxer again.

I had a fellow manager who was working in bend. He was walking his little dachshund with his 2 young kids. And when they got by this trash house the garage door opened about 3ft and heard someone yell "get him"
And a pitbull flew out and he said it ripped his dog to pieces.
Luckily him and the kids were unharmed. But they called the cops and apparently the guy had been accused of this once already so they put his dog down and he was arrested.

I would have been looking for the guy on bail.

I had a fellow manager who was working in bend. He was walking his little dachshund with his 2 young kids. And when they got by this trash house the garage door opened about 3ft and heard someone yell "get him"
And a pitbull flew out and he said it ripped his dog to pieces.
Luckily him and the kids were unharmed. But they called the cops and apparently the guy had been accused of this once already so they put his dog down and he was arrested.

I would have been looking for the guy on bail.

what a POS. hopefully a huge man tore him to pieces in jail.

It pisses me off something fierce when they tell me "don't make eye contact", or "just ignore her". It sounds like they're trying to train me to let the dog be the alpha. That's not going to happen. I think I'm going to miss going over to their house.

Yea, way too big for what I was thinking - I'd only do that with a small dog.

The avoiding eye contact and ignoring the dog ONLY works IF while you are ignoring the dog, the owner is actively assuming Alpha and stays on top of reprimanding the dog for ANY acts of aggression (or submission if you have a wizzer).

I have friend that had a dog like the above and a hated going to his house while that stupid animal was around...

I love dogs, always have. While I've never been attacked by one, we did have an incident in Sunriver a few years ago where it almost happened. We were out walking with our 3-year old daughter in a stroller and a large dog approached in an aggressive manner - his body language was very clearly aggressive - and anyone that knows dogs can certainly spot it. My wife and I stepped in-between the dog and the stroller as I started to move forward to try and wave it off, but he wasn't moving. Then I noticed the a$$-hat owner in his driveway (a full time SR resident), seeing the whole thing happening and doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about it. My hand was already on my gun (which are not allowed in SR, but concealed means concealed), and I was getting ready to draw. I gave the owner one last chance to call of his dog, using some colorful language. After several lame attempts by the owner, the dog finally turned and left.

I left the situation with a discussion with the owner which I'm sure was less than pleasant for him, and then called the SR PD to report what happened.

Seeing how this a-hole owner responded to the situation, it seems apparent to me that he is really the problem, the dog is only a result of his inability to be a proper pack leader.

One side note, since then, I've tried to be better about carrying a less-lethal option such as pepper spray when I'm out walking in places like SR, just because I'd rather not end the dog (or other animal) if something else will work.

Tonight while at my inlaws house their Dog bit me. on purpose.

Let me tell you about this dog: Im not sure the breed but itsnot quite a kick around dog but not quite the size of an australian shepherd yet is all black and sort of looks like one. he is 5-6yrs old. he DOES NOT listen and his form of discipline is being put outside.He is fixed.This dog was adopted from someone who no longer wanted him(ya...i know). ive had bad feelings about this dog ever since i became a dad less than two years ago. ive sat down with my wife, explained to her how i feel, and asked her parents to keep the dog away from our son in fear of my son getting bit or even worse and that i felt that it was a matter of time before he started biting. My requests were ignored as "oh, he wouldnt ever hurt anyone"

Heres the story:

My wife, my 22 month old son and I go to visit Nana and Papa's every tuesday evening for dinner so they can get their grandson fix. well, tonight their dog bit me. broke the skin, made me curse, bleed, the whole nine yards. The reason he bit me was because he is not allowed to sit near the dinner table and beg while we are eating. routinely, i always call him over, pet him, then take him to the other room. no problem. I KNEW this day would come as he is becoming more and more agressive with time. I seriously wanted to throw this dog over the fence or maybe even worse but, its not my dog. Well, on the way home i was still upset, my hand is swollen and sore and basically (which here is where i may have gone wrong) was an I TOLD YOU SO!

Well, needless to say wifes mad at me for 'using a tone' and i just dont know what to do. HELP!

I like dogs, but if one bites me, he dies.

Tonight while at my inlaws house their Dog bit me. on purpose.

Let me tell you about this dog: Im not sure the breed but itsnot quite a kick around dog but not quite the size of an australian shepherd yet is all black and sort of looks like one. he is 5-6yrs old. he DOES NOT listen and his form of discipline is being put outside.He is fixed.This dog was adopted from someone who no longer wanted him(ya...i know). ive had bad feelings about this dog ever since i became a dad less than two years ago. ive sat down with my wife, explained to her how i feel, and asked her parents to keep the dog away from our son in fear of my son getting bit or even worse and that i felt that it was a matter of time before he started biting. My requests were ignored as "oh, he wouldnt ever hurt anyone"

Heres the story:

My wife, my 22 month old son and I go to visit Nana and Papa's every tuesday evening for dinner so they can get their grandson fix. well, tonight their dog bit me. broke the skin, made me curse, bleed, the whole nine yards. The reason he bit me was because he is not allowed to sit near the dinner table and beg while we are eating. routinely, i always call him over, pet him, then take him to the other room. no problem. I KNEW this day would come as he is becoming more and more agressive with time. I seriously wanted to throw this dog over the fence or maybe even worse but, its not my dog. Well, on the way home i was still upset, my hand is swollen and sore and basically (which here is where i may have gone wrong) was an I TOLD YOU SO!

Well, needless to say wifes mad at me for 'using a tone' and i just dont know what to do. HELP!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top