JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You guys know I love dogs. Especially Shepard's.

But I have a dark secret for you all.

I was attacked buy a Big White German Shepard once.
And I took some abuse trying to calm him down. But he wasn't having any of that! :s0002:

Even when I started beating him with the rifle I was carrying, he wouldn't stop!
So finally. I shot that dog right between the eyes. Killed it instantly.

I did not want to do that. But that dog needed shot. Or I was looking at a long hospital visit. With about 1000 stitches. Or maybe even a funeral. :s0092:

You did exactly what needed to be done!
Another incident when I was 9....Walking to school and out of nowhere I had a large shepherd mix on me..Ripped my coat open. Thank goodness the local mailman was half a block away. The dog ripped my right ear loose, and also bit the top of my head a few times. The mail man sprayed the dog and me with pepper spray. The local Portland neighbord cop was there within minutes and he held me and tried to slow the bleeding from my head. I remember he took his coat off and the mailman had cut part of it off to wrap around my head..

I had to be hauled away in an ambulance..

Cops came and looked for the owners of the dog, and where it lived...Nope it had ran off.
I always had to walk to school and avoided that route for a few weeks. But returned to that route when it was raining hard....In the meantime, I was allowed to carry a baseball bat! yahoo but I had to check it into the office when I got to school everyday. And I remember the school custodian walking with me the first few blocks everyday after school. Which was cool of him to do that for me as I was terrified he would return....

And then I saw him, he jumped out of the back of a lawn care truck...And he ran straight for me! I hit him with the bat in the neck.... and he took off under the first porch. I went screaming to the nearest house and called 911

Cops came within a minute and it was the same group of officers that helped me before. I pointed to the porch the dog ran under and the officer grabbed his riot gun from the squad car and went and took care of when needed to be done! yep right there in broad daylight, right off of 14th and Stark.. Boom problem solved.

And you know I'm Mormon, so this will make you laugh. My brother was in West Virginia on his mission. He had a huge malry companion from New Zealand. Big dog came straight at them up a holler. Dog jumped in the air, and that dude grabbed that dog by the front and back and snapped his spine over his knee. Like he's done it several times.
Think they eat dog.

I experienced a similar time back when I was in 5th grade. We lived close enough that I walked or rode my bike to school. I took the same route every day. Most kids in the neighborhood also took the same street because there was little traffic. One morning pedaling on my bike, a big German Shepard came through a hedge. The dogs owner was a cop, and the dog was kept in a locked pen. This morning it was loose. It chased me down the street and I was getting too tired to keep going. It wanted my leg something bad. I stopped my bike and bot on the back side of it, and used it as a barrier. The dog stopped, growled, and soon walked away. I also "walked"..watching the dog as I pushed my bike. When the dog was far away, I got on my bike and pedaled as fast as I could to school. Throughout the year the same thing happened several times. I finally figured out the dog did not like bikes. No idea why. I could walk my bike past him and he just looked. But get on, and HERE HE COMES.

One morning I was going to be late. I was pedaling fast to get to school, and forgot about the dog. Again, the dog began chasing me wanting to grab my leg. I stopped the bike as I did before putting the bike between me and the dog. I could see someone walking towards me with what looked like a baseball bat. The man got closer...and BAMM!!! He shot the dog. The neighbor saw the dog chase people on bikes too many times. The man told me....get to school. I pedaled quickly. I never did hear what happened after I rode away, but the dog issue was no more.

Come to find out about 6 months later, teenagers in cars had been teasing the dog. They had the old Crager 5-slot mag wheels on their cars, and they tied bed sheets on each wheel. They drove past the dog almost nightly. The dog would chase and grab the sheet. When he got hold, they stepped on the gas. I figure the dog saw my jacket or shirt blowing in the wind. Maybe like having a flashback...so he chased.

Tonight while at my inlaws house their Dog bit me. on purpose.

Let me tell you about this dog: Im not sure the breed but itsnot quite a kick around dog but not quite the size of an australian shepherd yet is all black and sort of looks like one. he is 5-6yrs old. he DOES NOT listen and his form of discipline is being put outside.He is fixed.This dog was adopted from someone who no longer wanted him(ya...i know). ive had bad feelings about this dog ever since i became a dad less than two years ago. ive sat down with my wife, explained to her how i feel, and asked her parents to keep the dog away from our son in fear of my son getting bit or even worse and that i felt that it was a matter of time before he started biting. My requests were ignored as "oh, he wouldnt ever hurt anyone"

Heres the story:

My wife, my 22 month old son and I go to visit Nana and Papa's every tuesday evening for dinner so they can get their grandson fix. well, tonight their dog bit me. broke the skin, made me curse, bleed, the whole nine yards. The reason he bit me was because he is not allowed to sit near the dinner table and beg while we are eating. routinely, i always call him over, pet him, then take him to the other room. no problem. I KNEW this day would come as he is becoming more and more agressive with time. I seriously wanted to throw this dog over the fence or maybe even worse but, its not my dog. Well, on the way home i was still upset, my hand is swollen and sore and basically (which here is where i may have gone wrong) was an I TOLD YOU SO!

Well, needless to say wifes mad at me for 'using a tone' and i just dont know what to do. HELP!
When I was younger I was at my parent's house in Washington sitting by the road petting our neighbors dogs ( two Australian shepherds ) as my dad talked to their owner. Some idiot shot a shotgun three times not 40 yards away and the more jumpy of the two bit me right on my bicep. Our neighbors are awesome people so they immediately brought the dogs to their house and brought back vaccination records. My other neighbor, a retired navy pilot " aka. Badass" as we know him, brought out a few .30-06s and gave them to my dad, our neighbor and her husband and kept one for himself. They searched everywhere and didn't find the guy. I still have a inch long slash scar on my arm.

Wanna toss a like in for that post but just can't bring myself too.

I can put my dog down but bit or not, a guest that shoots my dog would have to deal with me in a very bad mood.

I agree with the sentiment though.

Had a delivery man come to our house when I was 12 and my chow/Samoan mix walked out of the door when it was opened and went around and just sat in the walkway. Mom gets the box, guy turn around and takes a kick at my dog to move her.

No contact was made but my mom had to literally sit on me while screaming at the delivery man to run if he knew what was good for him (I was almost too big for her at that point). I'm older and wiser now and aware of legal consequences so I'm more level headed most of the time, but back then I would have gone berserk on that stupid guy.

Don't mess with my kid, wife or dogs:mad:
Amen man. Would have done the same. Don't mess with my family, myself, or my cats, if they didn't scratch you to hell.

Neighbors down the street where I was growing up had an Red Irish Setter that loved to chase little kids on bikes and tear up their legs.
The owners were never home to witness his behavior, so they claimed it wasn't possible that ol' Red was at fault.
My older sister's boyfriend solved the problem by tying a red towel to one of his 65 Nova SS Cragar's rear wheels and then cruising up our street.
Ol' Red comes barreling off the front porch and grabs a hold of that flapping towel and he punches that hot rod motor.
The dog get's twirled around until I thought his neck would break, but before he can let go, he gets flipped up in the air about six feet and lands on his head.
He never tried chasing anything after that.

Last Edited:
Dog:

Pet -> Bite -> Animal
Animals that bite are put down.

Edit:
Clickey to show....
IMG_0483.JPG
^^^^^^^^
Dog bite. If it wasn't for my father in law grabbing the dog and leaving the house first the dog would have died at my hands in that house. Two clean puncture wounds touching inside his cheek. We have photos later on of the side of his cheek all swollen and puffed out.

THIS is what WILL HAPPEN once a dog thinks it's ok to bite. It's only a matter of time.

Last Edited:
Dog:

Pet -> Bite -> Animal
Animals that bite are put down.
thats my philosophy. i dont decide what they do with their stupid dog tho. i do however decide visiting privileges:D

things changed pretty quick once my wife and i decided no grandson unless theres NO contact.between the dog and our son PERIOD. This dog may never bite again. who knows? it probably will, but not a chance i will EVER take.

thats my philosophy. i dont decide what they do with their stupid dog tho. i do however decide visiting privileges:D

things changed pretty quick once my wife and i decided no grandson unless theres NO contact.between the dog and our son PERIOD. This dog may never bite again. who knows? it probably will, but not a chance i will EVER take.

I edited the above post of mine.

You have made a wise decision.

A few months ago My Big Neufy and I were walking through our neighborhood and we were attacked by a Pitbull. That dog was not on a leash and his "Owner" was off in the distance talking with his "Homies" instead of managing his dog! That pit went strait at my neuf and latched on to what ever he could! My big guy has never had to defend himself in that manor before , but instinct kicked in! I knew better then trying to interpose my self and I let go of the leash to let it sort it self out, Somewhat. When it became clear that the pit would sooner or later get in a good enough bite to the throat, out comes My .45 and down goes the pit! The owner calls the cops (as did several others) and the LEO show up! My neuf is bleeding heavy due to several deep bites, the cop arrests Mr Pit, and gives me a lecture ( for the benefit of the others around ONLY) and lets me go after making his report! I had to sue for damages as the vet visit ran into the thousands! but I finally got enough to pay the full costs of the vet bill! Point is, there are certain breads that have tendencies to bite, and these need to be kept under very strict control at all times! When I was stationed on the east coast, you had to have a permit to own one of the aggressive breads, and you had to wear a bright vest when out in public with your dog! I feel ya here, and hope things work out for YOU and your family!

[QUOTE="Ura-Ki, post: 1401569, member: 37729]
Point is, there are certain breads that have tendencies to bite, and these need to be kept under very strict control at all times! When I was stationed on the east coast, you had to have a permit to own one of the aggressive breads, and you had to wear a bright vest when out in public with your dog! I feel ya here, and hope things work out for YOU and your family![/QUOTE]

I have many friends with pit's, I've owned dobermans, Rottweilers, chow chow's, mutts, a bubblegumzu and a Lasha Apso. Been around a lot of German shepards and a ridgeback - all great dogs with great owners.

The Lasha is the only one of the dozen dogs I've owned that has ever bit anyone and never drew a scratch or broke skin but was aggressive enough to let the person know they were not welcome company (he has a great bond with me and knows when I'm unhappy or uncomfortable).

I've been around Newfies and they are gentle giants and no guard dog so I have a great deal of sympathy for you and your dog.

The owner of the pit was obviously not a good owner - it has 0% to do with the dog breed (I have a buddy with a boxer that attacked (mauled) an old lady's dog in thier front yard and boxers have a stupendous reputation for being good house pets).

Dogs are like kids - if you adopt a black kid (just an example) you don't expect they will grow up to be a criminal just because of thier color.

LONG story shorter, please, don't jump on the "dangerous dogs" bandwagon. Some breeds are bred to be more aggressive for specific reasons (including protecting thier humans) and need MASSIVE structure and handling to keep them from getting bored (they aren't bred to be lap dogs).

Bored kids and bored dogs will find trouble. If the Alpha or parent doesn't punish bad behavior then you get the same result dog or kid.

Side note: my wife was a young girl and her mutt was attacked by 2 dobermans and survived (although badly injured) right in front of her. She has gotten better after incisive exposure to my parents old dobie but still has some fear of dobermans and goes out of her way to avoid them - but she was 8 and that's a little different the a grown man with a way and the will to protect his dog).

Last thing: the bright jackets and stuff just perpetuates the image of a breed being "dangerous". Punish the parents and owners severely and kids and dogs would be much safer- hell, we read about 12 year olds riding max trains and pointing guns at people, where was thier bright orange vest??o_O

Just food for thought, everyone makes thier own choices and opinions based on thier personal experience. I was just trying to help see the other side of "aggressive" breeds or whatever.

11 breeds that statistically bite the most:

Chihuahua

They may not look like much, but Chihuahuas pack a fierce bite when they become frightened. They have sharp, little teeth that can tear through skin. Although, it is often warned that Chihuahuas are chronically nasty dogs, but what most people don't realize is that Chihuahuas are fiercely loyal animals that react however their owner reacts. If they have an owner that strikes first and questions second, they will likely do the same. Be sure to teach your Chihuahua proper manners to ensure that they don't become a biter.

Bulldog

Bulldogs are generally kind and gentle dogs and most of them have a very patient and sweet nature that bond well with children. Although, they have a tendency to become snappy if not properly trained or if they are trained to do so. They are very impressionable dogs and although patient, they will react if they feel they are threatened.

Pit Bull

Well, it has to be addressed. Pit Bulls are remarkably strong animals and can be very intimidating if they don't like you. They are also fiercely protective of their owner and family and generally don't get along well with other breeds. An issue with this breed is that they are simply too strong for their own good which can get them into some serious trouble. Often, what they perceive as playing may be mistaken as dangerous and that's when the problems arise. Like any breed, there's also the issue of them being trained to be aggressive and dangerous which makes them a lethal weapon due to their strength.

German Shepherd

There's a reason that these animals are used for military and police force dogs and it isn't just because of their sense of smell. German Shepherds are easily trained, so biting shouldn't be a problem. Although, if not properly trained and socialized this breed can be very aggressive towards other animals and strangers which can lead to quite a few problems–and lawsuits.

Australian Shepherd

Another Shepherd breed, Aussies are generally known for being sweet and affectionate dogs. If you ask any Aussie owner (who's dog is over the age of 2), they will tell you that it's the best dog they've ever had. So, why are they on this list? Well, if you know anything about herding animals, it's that they will nip and push you until you do what they want you to do making this breed a chronic biter. Even though they do not bite to hurt you, they bite to force you which can be a problem for many dog owners who don't understand them.

Lhasa Apso
(Tibetan Temple Watch dogs - insanely smart and the name translates into Little Lion, which mine resembles at certain times depending on how they are groomed)

Like many small breeds, this breed is known for biting simply because it is aware of its size. This is not a breed that is recommended to be around children because they are easily hurt and easily frightened which means they won't hesitate to bite in defense. This breed works better with older children who know how to treat a dog gently and also children who know when the dog needs some alone time. Knowing when enough is enough is essential for this breed because they are also quite independent and value their alone time.

Jack Russell Terrier

Jack Russells are hard dogs to train because they are very independent and often view themselves as the alpha male. Because of this, they have a tendency to become biters if not trained properly. This breed needs a strong and firm owner who can show them, without hurting them, who's in charge of who. Without a strong owner, a Jack Russell is likely to display dominance over its owner in the form of biting and will often do the same to other animals unless they are trained and socialized properly.

Cocker Spaniel

Cocker Spaniels have been widely known as the most gentle and sweet-tempered dog you could have. Although, in recent times, they have been known to suffer from rage syndrome which can affect a number of breeds. Rage syndrome is a serious behavioral problem that is actually very rare. But, when it has been seen it can be incredibly dangerous. There are treatments for this problem but these treatments are different for each individual dog. The most tell-tale symptom of this problem is that the dog will react with sudden aggression to anyone nearby and it has been reported that a dog will awaken from a deep sleep with this rage and attack anyone within biting distance.

Pekingese

A Pekingese is likely to become a biter because of their aloof personality and ackowledgement of their size. They are incredibly self-aware in terms of their visual appeal and their size so they often perceive sudden movements, as with children, as a threat and don't respond well to rough play which can make them react aggressively.

Papillon

Shockingly enough, Papillons are also known to suffer from rage syndrome despite their small size. This just goes to show you that it doesn't matter how big or small a dog is, they all have the potential to become aggressive biters. Although they are mostly mild-mannered and loving dogs, this breed can suffer from rage syndrome and is entirely aware of its small size, like a Pekingese. It's important to be calm and gentle with them and train them properly to ensure they have a well-mannered disposition.

Hope this helps with some perspective.

[QUOTE="Ura-Ki, post: 1401569, member: 37729]
Point is, there are certain breads that have tendencies to bite, and these need to be kept under very strict control at all times! When I was stationed on the east coast, you had to have a permit to own one of the aggressive breads, and you had to wear a bright vest when out in public with your dog! I feel ya here, and hope things work out for YOU and your family!

I have many friends with pit's, I've owned dobermans, Rottweilers, chow chow's, mutts, a bubblegumzu and a Lasha Apso. Been around a lot of German shepards and a ridgeback - all great dogs with great owners.

The Lasha is the only one of the dozen dogs I've owned that has ever bit anyone and never drew a scratch or broke skin but was aggressive enough to let the person know they were not welcome company (he has a great bond with me and knows when I'm unhappy or uncomfortable).

I've been around Newfies and they are gentle giants and no guard dog so I have a great deal of sympathy for you and your dog.

The owner of the pit was obviously not a good owner - it has 0% to do with the dog breed (I have a buddy with a boxer that attacked (mauled) an old lady's dog in thier front yard and boxers have a stupendous reputation for being good house pets).

Dogs are like kids - if you adopt a black kid (just an example) you don't expect they will grow up to be a criminal just because of thier color.

LONG story shorter, please, don't jump on the "dangerous dogs" bandwagon. Some breeds are bred to be more aggressive for specific reasons (including protecting thier humans) and need MASSIVE structure and handling to keep them from getting bored (they aren't bred to be lap dogs).

Bored kids and bored dogs will find trouble. If the Alpha or parent doesn't punish bad behavior then you get the same result dog or kid.

Side note: my wife was a young girl and her mutt was attacked by 2 dobermans and survived (although badly injured) right in front of her. She has gotten better after incisive exposure to my parents old dobie but still has some fear of dobermans and goes out of her way to avoid them - but she was 8 and that's a little different the a grown man with a way and the will to protect his dog).

Last thing: the bright jackets and stuff just perpetuates the image of a breed being "dangerous". Punish the parents and owners severely and kids and dogs would be much safer- hell, we read about 12 year olds riding max trains and pointing guns at people, where was thier bright orange vest??o_O

Just food for thought, everyone makes thier own choices and opinions based on thier personal experience. I was just trying to help see the other side of "aggressive" breeds or whatever.[/QUOTE]

Agreed,There is no such thing as a bad dog, only a bad owner! A breed that gets singled out the most, should have an owner that can deal with that dogs tendencies and we the people should not have to be made to suffer! We had a Pit when I was very young, and she thought she was a retriever until you told her she was a pit, She never ever bit any one, instead took out her aggression on squirls!

If a Nun owned a pit bull I'd accept your idea. But nuns don't own pits, so they will always be a issue.
It's like a mustang horse. Will I own one soon? Yes. But I know how to handle horses. My brother who hits horses doesn't. Do I take a risk owning a mustang? No. Cause it's like a gun. Owners is responsible.

My Neuf sure has issues with other dogs now! Not that I blame him, he sees all dogs as hostile! He is also showing agression towards other dogs and this has been something I am watching and working on very much! Last thing I need is a 200lb dog with a bad attitude. I have been taking him to dog parks where there are lots of other dogs, and this seams to be helping. If any one has any ideas I can try, I'm all ears!

<broken link removed>

And so you don't have to click through all 30+ here's the #1.

<broken link removed>

Talking about "it's not the dog it's the owner" doesn't do any one of those 3397 people that were bit, or those 295 that were kill one bit of good. Pit bulls are evil, and if it's not the dog then the owners are evil. Which one is easier to eliminate?

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

Talking about "it's not the dog it's the owner" doesn't do any one of those 3397 people that were bit, or those 295 that were kill one bit of good. Pit bulls are evil, and if it's not the dog then the owners are evil. Which one is easier to eliminate?

I tell people. ''Control your dog. Or I will. And you won't like it!''

If a Nun owned a pit bull I'd accept your idea. But nuns don't own pits, so they will always be a issue.
It's like a mustang horse. Will I own one soon? Yes. But I know how to handle horses. My brother who hits horses doesn't. Do I take a risk owning a mustang? No. Cause it's like a gun. Owners is responsible.

Do nuns need to own guns before its ok for others too?

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

We agree a lot Mike but if you put "gun" where you have "pit bull" then it sounds very much word for word the anti-Gun people's logic...

Also I have very good friends that are great people, busness owners, parents and active in charity's often - they own a great pit that has been a sweetheart her whole 9 years+ and going. I assure you neither they or the dog is "evil" and to suggest otherwise and to include all owners and dogs in the same pool is not stupid, it's ignorance and bias based on emotion.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top