JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For Christmas, my father in-law bought my wife this Bighorn P20 Handgun safe. The intent was to provide a secure storage solution so that she could keep a sidearm in the nightstand. More to keep the curious kids out than for anything else.

It seemed like a neat little safe, pattern combination could be set to any order/combination of button presses you desired. Seemed decent enough to safely and securely hold a handgun but also make it readily available should the need arise.

Cheap metal, nothing that would foil someone with a quality sawzall for example, but enough to keep it out of children's hands. Mounting options to bolt to the floor or wall came with it as well.

My wife had it in a book case by the bed. It fell from a height of no more than 3 feet. It flew open spilling everything out.

Thinking that this was an anomaly or perhaps she had failed to secure it properly I attempted to replicate the action. It occurred every time I tried. It occurred from less than a foot from the ground as well.

The safes poor design and materials come into play here, and are a direct cause of this issue.

I replaced this with a Viking with the same type of biometric lock that does not pop open when bumped. It was a little more, but not by that much and well worth the cost for the difference in quality.

Needless to say, I won't be recommending or purchasing any Bighorn items again. I am aware that Bighorn is a company or brand owned by Rhino, and that Rhino safes are reportedly some of the best, but I won't likely entertain them either. I find the very fact that they released this product at all, rather offensive as a consumer.

I am aware a cheap priced safe is likely made cheaply, but the safe had ONE job. Just one, and it couldn't even do that.

bighorn-handgun-security-safe-pistol-box-p-20-4.jpg bighorn-handgun-security-safe-pistol-box-p-20-5.jpg

I haven't seen this one before, but it's good to know it should be avoided. Personally, I prefer a model that can be bolted down, or say bolted to the side of a night stand, or maybe even bolted inside a drawer. At least that would help with the dropping issue.

Thanks for the heads-up on this one.

There is a difference between a safe and a lockbox/cabinet.

That isn't a safe. My headboard box is a lockbox also but it's secured down. These are made to keep little hands out; sadly it should have survived a little more abuse.

I have a v-line I was lucky enough to snag on CL not used.

It has buttons and it's made of real metal. Could you take a crowbar to it? Probably but it would take some effort.

Buttons do not require power and you can make the combo any length and can combine buttons to be pushed together at the same time if desired.

No battery's so it doesn't light up but after about 2 weeks of opening and closing it, I can do it with my eyes shut and don't even think about the button pattern anymore it just happens.

If your safe needs a "backup key" to get into it then it's only as secure as a cheesy key lock.

Better then nothing though if that's all you can afford and want a way to keep kids out but have access to a gun fast.

We pony up hundreds for new firearms toys, may as well spend $150-$200 for a good handgun safe IMO.

Still can't afford the one for keeping a loaded shotgun in the bedroom mounted on the wall but that's in the near future I hope and it's won't be battery operated.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top