JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Maybe someone could help me out with some advice.
I purchased a rifle from Sportsman's in August. I've never had a issue with BG checks. But it came back as being delayed. The Sportsmans manager called me to tell me and said expected delay date was mid October and gave me a number for OSP to call. It's just a number you can leave a message with and they say 'calls returned in the order received' I called every damn day. No call back. Then I get an email saying 'it's been 30 days and you haven't picked up your firearm so we returned your money'
Great! And they sold the rifle I bought.
So they get another in stock. And before I purchased it I renewed my concealed permit. Thinking it would fix the issue with the delay. If they renew that how can the BG check go bad?
So I purchase the rifle again two weeks ago along with a lower receiver. They say you've been bumped up in the database but I'm still around 5000 so maybe a week out. A week and a half go by and I call and they said it's been delayed!!
Wonderful.
Now I'm in a real mess with this new permit BS and I already purchased an upper from Palmetto.
Last time this happened OSP never even called me back after a month of calling and leaving messages.
I'm sure this time won't be any different. So likely sportsman's will refund my money and I'll be without the rifle and lower and now stuck with an upper and no lower. Seems like every time I try to buy a firearm from now on this is what I can expect. I purchased a firearm two years ago without a hitch. Not sure why my BG checks are now being delayed, nothing has happened since my last purchase to disqualify me from owning a firearm.
What can I do here? Anything?

Doesn't seem right that I can't buy a gun in Oregon anymore because OSP isn't really doing their job. It's completely aggravating!

Any help/advice/opinions are much appreciated.

Only thing you can do now is see if they will transfer it to one off the FFLs that follow the law and if your background check takes more than 3 days. They will transfer it to you. Good luck.

There probably isn't anything you can do in the short term except keep trying to get ahold of OSP. Maybe showing up at their office could get quicker results?

Another long shot would be to contact your local Sheriff. They might have some more direct channels in the OSP to get you answers.

Are you putting your SSN on the 4473? Do you have a super common name?

You would have to find out what it is that is causing the problems. They are seeing something. Could well be info they have on you is wrong. Now for the how to get that info? Sadly you see how well they respond since they could care less. After they finally get the state permit system up and running you could try to get one. After you do see what happens. If it still does not work you will be looking at how much money do you want to spend to "fix this". :(

If I were in your shoes, I would find out what caused the delay so that can be addressed. Could be incorrect information, someone that is restricted from owning firearms that has the same as you or even something from your past you forgot about. Could even be something that was resolved or dropped.

OSP doesn't give to wooden nickles for your issue. They have been running behind since the rona and the riots. Now after 114 has passed the que for BGC is over 30k and 6k for CHL holders.

Sadly you are kind of out of luck for now. Even if you were dealing with a FFL that wasn't Sportsmans, the 3 day rule would be too late unless you buy today.

You might try Adaptive firing solutions. He had some lowers on the shelf a day ago. You might be able to get a 3 day release since you are a CHL holder. It's worth a shot.

They hit delay on me when I was picking up my suppressor. Have your FFL close it and open a new BGC.

Apparently the clerks can hit delay if it takes them too long to get info back from a state, and there's no timeline that they have to adhere to regarding when they circle back around to approve you.

There probably isn't anything you can do in the short term except keep trying to get ahold of OSP. Maybe showing up at their office could get quicker results?

Another long shot would be to contact your local Sheriff. They might have some more direct channels in the OSP to get you answers.

Are you putting your SSN on the 4473? Do you have a super common name?
I live in Southern Oregon, is there an OSP office nearby?
Yes I put my SSL on the 4473 and my name is Terrell, not a common one.
I forgot since this wasn't a firearm purchase BG check delay but a delay in approving my concealed permit. OSP called me and said they had vague information regarding a fight I was in out of state in 2001. So they called me just to clarify it wasn't domestic violence. I said no and that's all they wanted to know. But I've purchased about 6 firearms since then. If this is the cause of the delay is there anything I can do to clear this up ?

Well my FFL is sportsman's and they aren't too cooperative about doing anything extra like this. I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask.
They hit delay on me when I was picking up my suppressor. Have your FFL close it and open a new BGC.

Apparently the clerks can hit delay if it takes them too long to get info back from a state, and there's no timeline that they have to adhere to regarding when they circle back around to approve you.

If I were in your shoes, I would find out what caused the delay so that can be addressed. Could be incorrect information, someone that is restricted from owning firearms that has the same as you or even something from your past you forgot about. Could even be something that was resolved or dropped.

OSP doesn't give to wooden nickles for your issue. They have been running behind since the rona and the riots. Now after 114 has passed the que for BGC is over 30k and 6k for CHL holders.

Sadly you are kind of out of luck for now. Even if you were dealing with a FFL that wasn't Sportsmans, the 3 day rule would be too late unless you buy today.

You might try Adaptive firing solutions. He had some lowers on the shelf a day ago. You might be able to get a 3 day release since you are a CHL holder. It's worth a shot.
Forgive my ignorance. But what is a 3 day release ?

Forgive my ignorance. But what is a 3 day release ?
Federal law states that of a BGC does not come back as denied. After three days have elapsed, the FFL, under their discretion, can release your firearm. Until IP114, Oregon law followed the same wording, but there's not many FFLs that works release the firearm due to the State Police threats.

I live in Southern Oregon, is there an OSP office nearby?
Sorry, I haven't memorized the state police offices of every state in the union. Try: https://lmddgtfy.net/?q=osp office

Yes I put my SSL on the 4473 and my name is Terrell, not a common one.
I forgot since this wasn't a firearm purchase BG check delay but a delay in approving my concealed permit. OSP called me and said they had vague information regarding a fight I was in out of state in 2001.
Ding ding ding! I see a clue!

So they called me just to clarify it wasn't domestic violence. I said no and that's all they wanted to know. But I've purchased about 6 firearms since then. If this is the cause of the delay is there anything I can do to clear this up ?
Lawyer up.

Also, look into getting a UPIN.

I got delayed on a rifle I was buying last year, I got a lawyer that cost $500 and did absolutely nothing to advance my issue. I called and talked to the county sherrif for 20 min that did nothing as well. I talked directly to the guy in charge of the BGC's at OSP that did nothing except tell me they were compeltely off their rocker looking at a driving while suspensed arrest in 1981 (20 BGC's ago) and wondering if it was a felony (it was not) I called my State Rep Rick Lewis and within 24 hours the clerk screwing with me at OSP was calling me to make sure I knew I was cleared and to assign blame to someone in the records dept. I went down to the gun shop filled out another BGC and within 15 min it was in my hand and out the door, It only took 62 days to buy a single shot rifle designed in 1879. At this time and place I think your screwed. I would try to get your money back and hold tight up till all the smoke clears on this cluster F

I got delayed on a rifle I was buying last year, I got a lawyer that cost $500 and did absolutely nothing to advance my issue. I called and talked to the county sherrif for 20 min that did nothing as well. I talked directly to the guy in charge of the BGC's at OSP that did nothing except tell me they were compeltely off their rocker looking at a driving while suspensed arrest in 1981 (20 BGC's ago) and wondering if it was a felony (it was not) I called my State Rep Rick Lewis and within 24 hours the clerk screwing with me at OSP was calling me to make sure I knew I was cleared and to assign blame to someone in the records dept. I went down to the gun shop filled out another BGC and within 15 min it was in my hand and out the door, It only took 62 days to buy a single shot rifle designed in 1879. At this time and place I think your screwed. I would try to get your money back and hold tight up till all the smoke clears on this cluster F
Sounds like you got the right guy to help ya !!

80% lower? I bought a stripped lower. Same thing?
No. An 80% lower will get shipped straight to your house. No FFL or background check needed. They are called 80% lowers because they are only 80% milled out and you have to complete the other 20%.

No serial number. No one knows you have it. Etc.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top