JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Albertsons fully-cooked Thanksgiving dinner: Fully-Cooked 12 lb. Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Stuffing, Gravy, Cranberry Sauce and Pumpkin Pie. $49.95
Nice thread.
Speaking of which, DO NOT go to Marie Calendar's for their Thanksgiving offering.
Went there some years ago as part of a foursome. It's not necessarily cheap but hey.. easy! Shoulda just got a Starving Man TV dinner it was so freaking lame. couldn't believe it

When I read the topic I though we were going to discus the different ways you hold your fingers while FLIPPING THE "BIRD". :oops:

Just Wifey and I. 13# bird rubbed with olive oil, garlic powder and in the oven 'till done. Oh, I might throw some fresh herbs,celery,onion in the cavity too. Served with mashed potatoes and acorn squash. I did pick up a couple of small yams too....Bake, peel, cut, butter salt pepper and brown sugar and back in the oven to get good.

Not fancy, we really prefer the sandwiches and enchiladas after more than the main meal anyway.

I hold my fingers out straight to flip my bird! I wear pot holder gloves to prevent burns!

I use the Trager or the deep fryer, and love it!
This year we are going to oven roast one, because we are hosting and need a big one!
In our family we are all freaks for cooked in the bird stuffing, as opposed to dressing which is cooked alone! To prevent any chance of salmonella contamination we nuke the stuffing until it's really hot and then stuff the turk! I recommend that procedure to any turkey newbies out there!
The other great thing about oven roasted turkey is the juices. My wife's turkey gravy is something to behold! :p

I'mna be cooking a churkey (I'll be bacheloring it).. a big bubblegum chicken.
Can I get an amen for oyster dressing though?!

drool.gif

Brine followed by cooking the bird overnight, low and slow, about 275 for about 8-10 hours. Then rest at least 1 hour before taking a knife to it. If necessary to brown a bit more, rub the skin with butter then into a 425 oven for 15-20 minutes. To carve, I remove the entire breast in one piece (sharp knife run along the breast bone, undercut) then slice it on the cutting board - makes for much more even pieces and everyone can get a little tasty skin.

But, it's not my job to do the bird this year. Instead, I'm working on sausage and cornbread stuffing and nice yeast rolls.

I do ours in an electric roaster. I lather the inside/outside good with butter, rock salt/pepper, poultry seasoning, stuff the cavity with carrots, onions and a good dab of garlic butter. 500°/30min to sear, then the balance of time per pound at 350°, basting every 30mins, and injecting as well

Normally brine the turkey, but this year we are going to Der Rhinelander in PDX as they are closing at the end of the year. So now comes the decision: Turkey and the fixin's or German food and a beer or two or three.....
Someone else can drive and make the youngest the CCW holder tomorrow :rolleyes:

Normally brine the turkey, but this year we are going to Der Rhinelander in PDX as they are closing at the end of the year. So now comes the decision: Turkey and the fixin's or German food and a beer or two or three.....
Someone else can drive and make the youngest the CCW holder tomorrow :rolleyes:
Do German. The bird can wait.

Thoroughly wash the turkey inside and out. Take one clean paper grocery bag and coat the entire inside with butter... generously smearing it around leaving no dry spots.
Lay the bag on it side and place the turkey inside, folding the ends over at least twice and stapling it shut. Place the bagged turkey in a disposable aluminum pan and then put it in the oven. I think the magical temperature is 375 at 35 minutes for each pound.
After the allotted cooking time, break a small spot open in the bag and use a thermometer to pierce the breastplate and check the temp....it should be above 350.
The turkey will be a beautiful golden brown color, and the juicy meat will literally fall off the bone, just like the rotissere chicken at Safeway.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm waiting for Black Friday then I'm buying a sale turkey to try out the deep fryer.
Imma stop reading these threads. It's gunna cost money on that treager job.

LOL!!! 'skwim, you will never regret buying a Trager! It's not only a smoker, but a great grill too! Inch and a quarter ribeye, six minutes per side! Oh man they taste good, too! :p

My favorite way is to have it done in the Son in Laws oven. I show up with grandma we sit down and eat then go play with the grand daughters or watch some TV while the SIL and Daughter clean up the mess.

If I am to do one which we do about 3 turkeys a year (I get two 12lb birds free from work) I like to either rub it down with Olive oil and hang in my little cheif smoker for 3) pans of Apple chips to be finished in the oven as normal. OR to split the bird lenghtwise down the breast bone and rub with CJ Korean BBq Marinate for chicken and ribs then into the Traeger.

Here is the end result, I had to eat later than I wanted. We had a power outage here in Keizer from about 5:00 am till around 10:30 am, luckily I have a small Honda generator so I was able to make my coffee and have a lamp on to do prep.

IMG_1861.JPG IMG_1862.JPG

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR