JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Should I cut down a full size rifle or buy a pistol and add a stock? I'd like to build one but I wasn't sure if the receiver on the AK pistols will accept a buttstock. So who's done it and how hard was it? Also any info on how to form a trust and the application procedures would be great. Thanks.

You'll have to grind off the rivets and replace the rear trunion (sp?)

As far as a trust, you can use a trust creator (can be purchased at office depot) or have a lawyer draw one up for you. Have it notarized, send it, a declaration of citizenship form, 2 copy's of your signed form 1, and a check for $200 and then wait for 3 months.

When you add a stock a pistol it has to be registered as an SBR, it ceases to be a pistol.

From what I understand if you make it from a pistol it's an AOW (Any Other Weapon)

If you make it from a rifle it's an SBR (Short Barreled Rifle)

I don't know if an AOW is still a pistol. If it is, then I would think it would be illegal to shoot armor piercing through it as opposed to if it were a SBR. Not that anyone would consider that a deal breaker but it's something to think about.

best option: Buy a krink kit - register the lower as an SBR and build it!
IMG_3025.jpg

From what I understand if you make it from a pistol it's an AOW (Any Other Weapon)

If you make it from a rifle it's an SBR (Short Barreled Rifle)

I don't know if an AOW is still a pistol. If it is, then I would think it would be illegal to shoot armor piercing through it as opposed to if it were a SBR. Not that anyone would consider that a deal breaker but it's something to think about.

I think you're confusing this with shotguns. A regular shotgun (long arm) cut down would have to be a SBS, but if the receiver started out as a "pistol" then the barrel can be short and it can be an AOW (without a stock), the reason for this is because a "smooth bore pistol" is considered an all other weapon. (along with cane guns, pen guns, and other oddities.

Believe it or not its not legal to replace the trunnion if it is serial numbered. Even if you are put the exact same numbers on a new trunnion it is still considered defacing the serial numbers and is as such considered illegal by the ATF.

A pistol can be an AOW if you have a vertical forgrip but it cannot have a buttstock.

That is not correct. The only numbers that matter are the receiver numbers. None of the other numbered parts are the receiver so they cannot be registered as a gun.

Also there are no numbers on a rear AK trunnion, the truth is what people call a rear trunnion isn't technically as trunnion either. Correction some trunnions are numbered per stitchclimbers post below.

there are no numbers on a rear AK trunnion, the truth is what people call a rear trunnion isn't technically as trunnion either.

The piece that is most often referred to as the rear trunnion at times might be serialized (I have a romy kit with a serialized trunnion), but you are correct in saying that those numbers don't really matter.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top