Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Best Scope for a 30/30 Marlin 336

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by jbett98, Oct 12, 2015.

1. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I gave my nephew a really nice Marlin 336 and he wants to fit a scope on top.
    He doesn't have a lot of cash, so I looked online and the scope that I found with a decent reviews and a reasonable price($160.00) was the Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32.
    Anyone have one of these mounted on a 336?

2. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

I use the prostaff 3x9x40 non bdc they work great.

3. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I am putting a Bushnell on a lever gun.

First thing I learned was that the rings need to be tall enough for that hammer to freely fall...

Caveman Jim and No_Regerts like this.
  4. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  5. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

I had a Vortex 1-4 on my lever gun at one point. Not going to shoot far so I kept it low power.

Brutus57 and No_Regerts like this.
  6. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I love my scout set up leupold 4x on a bolt action Ruger.

Even a red dot for me is not as fast to acquire a target.

Salps likes this.
  7. tkdguy

tkdguy Portland, Oregon Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

You might think of a fixed power 1.5, 2, 2.5--I'm thinking the 336 is a woods rifle. Maybe fast action shooting close in? That power could work out to 125 yards.

No_Regerts likes this.
  8. No_Regerts

No_Regerts United States Well-Known Member

Low power, less critical eye relief, faster target acquisition. A 336 screams 1-4x.

9. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I only scoped one lever gun. It was for a kid at work who didn't have too much cash to spare. I bought a Bushnell 3-9x40 and a set of rings and bases (Weaver). Worked out well, if not a little large for that rifle. My brother in law owns it now and loves it.

10. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

Years ago I had a Marlin 336, I mounted a Bushnell Buckhorn 3x9 scope with see through mounts for using the iron sights. I shot many a blacktail with that rifle.
    3x9

11. mike1281

mike1281 Canby Member

Have that exact setup on mine... bought the gun used at richs gun shop in Donald 3-4 years ago. Wonder if it was yours? :)

Caveman Jim likes this.
  12. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

I sold mine here in Washington 12 years ago buy who knows. Does it have 9 notches on the plastic butt pad? One for each blacktailed deer I killed with it.

13. mike1281

mike1281 Canby Member

It does not:(

14. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've never used a Nikon scope, but the couple that I've looked thru seemed bright and clear. But, most scopes look bright and clear when you're in the darn store. :) I have used a lot of Nikon camera lenses and think very highly of them.
    I did put a Leupold 2-7x33 on my wife's Ruger Compact, which is similar in size to the Marlin. (I'd had a 3-9x40 on it before and the scope was absolutely huge in comparison to the rifle)
    When comparing it to my other Leupolds the only thing missing is just a little bit of magnification. Considering where a 30-30 is likely to be used, it seems like a good fit.

15. ChiefStealth

ChiefStealth Graham, Wa. Well-Known Member

I also put a 2X7 on my 30-30. For me, it's just the right power range. I chose the Redfield, but there are several good, not-too-expensive scopes.

orygun likes this.