JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am an experienced hunter with both rifle and archery gear. However, I have never hunted antelope. My buddy and I are Oregon residents and have an average of 19 points in OR. We have been waiting to go on one trophy Antelope hunt in the state and are thinking that this is the year. In talking with others it seems that Juniper or Whitehorse would be the best choices. Are there any other opinions on the best unit to draw with 19 points? We don't have private land access so unless someone has a connection we plan to hunt public ground. Also, what are opinions between rifle and archery? We are excellent archery hunters and routinely practice at 50 to 60 yards. Rifle distance capability is solid at 500. I understand that these goats can be decoyed in to archery range during that season, but rifle would give us first crack at the big bucks. We would prefer not to overlap the elk / deer archery season too. I appreciate all input.

As a geezer Elk Hunter, without 'the Rifle' there would be no Unforgettable Elk Hunt in my own memory banks. Or the freezer.

Years ago some buddies finally scored archery antelope after many seasons fruitless effort.

They had an amazing story to tell at long last. And in a pre-digital era, had a photograph supporting the nearly unbelievable tale. They finally retired their archery antelope expeditions.

Good luck whichever you choose.

Start buying point savers now, and in 15 years, you just might draw a tag.:rolleyes:

Go to Wyoming and shoot two.

Ditto!!

Antelope have great eyesight... if you archery hunt the wary ones, IMO it will take a long time. In WY, you can get out of your tent in the morning, bag one of the ones just standing/grazing nearby (10-25yds), and be having Irish coffee by 8am. :D

Ditto!!

Antelope have great eyesight... if you archery hunt the wary ones, IMO it will take a long time. In WY, you can get out of your tent in the morning, bag one of the ones just standing/grazing nearby (10-25yds), and be having Irish coffee by 8am. :D

Can I tag along next time? Pretty please? I promise I won't be a bother and fetch all the water and firewood.

Pronghorn.jpg

I got a tag the first year I put in. Lol
I've shot 2 14 inch ones in Steens. I saw a 19 inch there hunting deer one year. Giant
Wyoming doesn't have goats that big. Arizona does.

46A925D2-8F77-4C62-8297-0B3038AFD51A.jpeg One of my buddies (the under Sheriff) and his son on a youth hunt near his ranch here in Idaho. My brother took one at 800 (with his 338 Lapua Trig) yards last year in Montana. Antelope is a great under appreciated game animal.

Well they eat a whole lot of alfalfa. And getting them on ice is a matter of minutes. Hart mt. Is over rated. They aren't what they once were. There's many areas in Oregon now with giant goats.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top