JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sorry, I don't agree with you. The cartridge is capable yes. An open sighted Garand is not. I was USMC series 2nd high expert in June of 58. The 500yd prone slow fire has a very generous 10 ring. Only 7 out of 10 were tens with three close 9s. Possibles in all the rest with a couple of dropped points in off hand. Served 57 to 65. Toward the end of service, the last couple of years were spent in Recon as a scout /sniper. Issued was a heavy barrel Winchester, Model 70 in 30-06 caliber. First scope was a Lyman that had issues with fogging, but the second fixed power Redfield remained good to go, until in was turned in. Match 30-06 was issued by the case, and rifle was rezeroed with each new case. This set up was good for 1000 yards, but a crawl to 800 ensured hits, whereas 1000 could be iffy due to not dopping winds correct, heat distortion, and other human factors. Mostly unless hilltop to hilltop, you couldn't spot a target at that distance. Unless you're in sand country, most likely you would drive a spotter crazy trying to dope a shot. Will it kill? You bet, just consistant hits may be unlikely. Velocity must be down to not very much. The new generation Marines that I have been able to talk to seem to be somewhat happy with the 223, but admit after 200 yards they usually pass to a 30 Caliber. Love the fact of having glass for fast accurate shooting, and have a designated team marksman. I think one out of four.
I can't speak for the M1-D or C as I have never used one. I would imagine the rifle tuned maybe capable, but a streach in the area you speak of also.

open sights on any rifle is way beyond my ability even at 2oo yds but on the other hand I am very capable with my m1a from the bench and a 16inch gong at 800 yds has no chance of survival as long as the wind is calm. The accuracy of these national match rifles is scary with good optics. I mounted a 51/2-22 mildot nightforce on my national match rifle and put a 175 nosler custom competition in front of 41.3 gr of 4064 powder lit up by a rem 91/2 in frmington brass and am able to put 10 rounds in a 10 inch circle at 800 yds. Not competition class but not bad for a blind 62 year old guy who cant shoot.

From my battle field time in the Marine Corps during Nam as a Scout/Sniper, I would have to say the best battle rifle is the M14. In a pinch, you can reach way out and touch someone. If you are in a real jam and have a selector switch. Rock and roll. They are a little much to handle though on full auto. We have to settle for the M1a1.

^^^^ Can't help with that build, but Aero uses Ballistic Advantage barrels. I've also heard that they bought BA.

Aero uppers and lowers seem to get really good reviews, That's what I'm using for my AR build but with a Faxon gunner profile barrel. I would have gone with the Aero enhanced upper and rail system but I was able to pick up a different hand guard at a really good price.

^^^^ Can't help with that build, but Aero uses Ballistic Advantage barrels. I've also heard that they bought BA.

Aero uppers and lowers seem to get really good reviews, That's what I'm using for my AR build but with a Faxon gunner profile barrel. I would have gone with the Aero enhanced upper and rail system but I was able to pick up a different hand guard at a really good price.

I really like my Aero lower with ALG ACT and BCM middie complete upper in .223/5.56.

So, since my budget doesn't currently allow purchasing all in one I have been thinking about an M5 build starting with Aero lower. I am curious as to accuracy

Brutus Out

Somewhere in the world a kitten has died for the necropost.

But as for the thread itself since its alive again (or undead? :confused:o_O), the most accurate battle rifle would lean more towards the AR-10. Also requires less maintenance to keep it accurate too.

One thing to remember is that optimal barrel length for any 308/762X51 is 22 inch's. Ballistic-ly speaking anyways. I've had a FN49, a FAL and MIA1 that were all extremely good shooters but for long distance bolt guns are by far my favorites,,bar none. Ar's in that caliber I haven't had any experience with though so I can't speak for them.

I wouldn't even consider anything but a bolt gun for 400 m and above myself, but I'm old school that way,,,,,

Just because this thread came out of the age of dinosaurs doesn't necessarily make it a bad topic of discussion!! Things have changed considerably sense it was started technology wise,,so it could be updated by others experiences with new platforms or new ammo designs.

Myself most of my 308's ,,still all like the 168 gr & 178 gr Match Kings for distance shooting and that is something I haven't found much of a change in , even with all the newer ammo options available now.

Sometimes we just have to shake the Jurassic tree to see if something new works better. For me the Match Kings still whip most anything else out there , even though they've been around sense Jesus wore sandles !! They have been my go-to's for ,,,almost ever, for long distance shooting!!

Even taking into account all the A-Max, Barnes and other projectiles available now. I've still got loads worked up that I came up with 40 years ago that I haven't been able to best yet,,even with all the advances in technology. Sometimes old school just works best in certain things!

Last Edited:
One thing to remember is that optimal barrel length for any 308/762X51 is 22 inches.

True, but you can still get away with using shorter barrels. For a battle rifle a 16"-18" barrel would be fine. For a DMR/sniper set-up a 20"-22" would be the ideal. Another thing to remember about having a battle rifle, you don't always need the range of a .308 but sometimes you need the penetration of one.

Just because this thread came out of the age of dinosaurs doesn't necessarily make it a bad topic of discussion!! Things have changed considerably sense it was started technology wise,,so it could be updated by others experiences with new platforms or new ammo designs.

Myself most of my 308's ,,still all like the 168 gr & 178 gr Match Kings for distance shooting and that is something I haven't found much of a change in , even with all the newer ammo options available now.

Sometimes we just have to shake the Jurassic tree to see if something new works better. For me the Match Kings still whip most anything else out there , even though they've been around sense Jesus wore sandles !! They have been my go-to's for ,,,almost ever, for long distance shooting!!

Even taking into account all the A-Max, Barnes and other projectiles available now. I've still got loads worked up that I came up with 40 years ago that I haven't been able to best yet,,even with all the advances in technology. Sometimes old school just works best in certain things!

Not when the topic of the thread is "Best battle rifle for the $$", a crap ton has changed since then and very little is still relevant today after 6 years of price changes.:s0002:

No offense meant, but if you just have to add your two cents to a 6 year old thread then just open a new one and let the conversation go from there, not have 2 pages of nonrespondable posts from people that most likely are not currently active.

It doesn't mean the old info isn't good for a sick day in bed to go back and read they but after a year the thread isn't relevant to the current active community IMO.

Oh absolutely boboclown,,I've got all kinds of different length guns in all kinds of different calibers that may not have the optimal length barrel for that given caliber,,,but hey ,they shoot just fine Thank you very much!! It just depends on what purpose it's going to have that will dictate what you'll end up with I guess.

There's a hell of a difference between a full blown bench gun and a battle rifle after all. Myself I like at least a 18" barrels on AR platforms I had a 20" 308 and 556 both I liked pretty well but they were a bear to carry hunting, but man both sure shot great at some pretty respectable distances.
It only really gets more important when you start shooting wayyyy out yonder!!And that's not what a battle rifle is for anyways.

I've got a 16" Bushy "V-Match Commando Carbine" that shoots awesome too,, but if you try reaching out 5-600,,it's not anywhere as accurate as the 20" was at those ranges.

I know I kinda jumped in on this thread after someone else resurrected it , but hey,,,now we can tromp all over it with out getting someone PO-ed because we change the discussion topic some. Right?? :s0112::s0112: If these folks aren't active any more no biggie, if they are ,,they'll give us crap!

Not that we've really changed the main topic much. Even resurrecting it from the dead may bring out something new that someone is currently working on or thinking about doing along the battle rifle line. No biggie if it's a old thread IMO, it just may bring up new discussions on current items , new tricks, and techniques available for battle rifles, who knows? Hell, I've learned lots from resurrected threads I've seen before in other places . This just may spark something new along this vein who knows?

Last Edited:
With the lone exception of the Springfield M1903, the M14 rifle is
the longest serving rifle used by units of the U.S. Armed forces.

The 16.25" & 18.0" M14 barrels will do just fine out to 600 yards or so.
No need to get a longer barrel unless you are reaching beyond 900 yards.

I have one with the 16.25" barrel, and one with a 22" barrel. Very accurate & reliable.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top