JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No, for electronic protection devices, you can have them cranked up all the way, to where you can hear a fly fart from 100 feet away. The shot gets blocked. I'll bet your hunting partner was using a hearing enhancement device. They differ in that they are designed to amplify ALL sounds to better track an animal.

so a question for you all...
The volume control on these things, does it affect what volume the gun shots are heard at. In other words, if I accidentally have, or bump the volume up really high, and someone takes a shot, am I going to have hearing damage.
I hunted with a guy in 2012, he was on the hunt of his life, and something happened a few weeks before he came on the hunt, he said the volume got turned up, and it amplified the gun shot. He had to go to the ear doc for some serious hearing damage and was told to not go on the hunt (though he did, while wearing ear plugs the whole time).

The earbuds I have blank out, as in turn the volume to zero, when they sense a gunshot (even a good handclap will cause them go silent briefly). The rest of the time they have whatever volume I set it at.

After posting how I never use mine, I took them out for range practice last weekend. They really do work nice for that purpose but several times I picked up conversations that felt like they were right behind me but were really off to one side -- sort of disconcerting and the lack of directionality confirmed my initial judgment that they were useless to use while actively hunting.

Bang for the buck, Howard Leight is unbeatable.
Best head unit, Peltor Comtac 3, but you'd better have deep pockets.
Best inner ear unit, Silynx Clarus or Clarus Pro.

Bang for the buck, Howard Leight is unbeatable.
Best head unit, Peltor Comtac 3, but you'd better have deep pockets.
Best inner ear unit, Silynx Clarus or Clarus Pro.
Yep some of the custom ones that are form fitting to your ears can be up to 600 BUCKS

I like my peltor they have a plug for coms or a I pod or your phone .most have the same thing now but the Peltor are skinny or more tactical or tachticool lol

I have Howard Leight and SportEar Muffs the Sport ear very good and thinner, but they are not as good as the Leights.

I have some Walkers Razor XV BT which are rechargeable by USB and last about 6 hours battery life. They are Bluetooth also. They are wired earplugs so easy to use a rifle. I only used them one day so far, but they worked pretty good.

No, for electronic protection devices, you can have them cranked up all the way, to where you can hear a fly fart from 100 feet away. The shot gets blocked. I'll bet your hunting partner was using a hearing enhancement device. They differ in that they are designed to amplify ALL sounds to better track an animal.

Just wanted to mention that a bunch of counterfeit Howard Leight electronic headphones came into the country last year. I bought a set off of Amazon. They did amplify but did not cut off. I was lucky in that I went to an outdoor rifle range. As I got out of my truck, I put them on and turned them on. I noticed that they did not shut out the noise. I stopped right there and swapped out for my old Peltor 6s.

Amazon referred me back to the seller who did not answer emails and disappeared. Amazon refused to help me and did not answer my emails. They went into the trash and now I'm very careful about what I buy off of Amazon.

I have Howard Leight and SportEar Muffs the Sport ear very good and thinner, but they are not as good as the Leights.

I have some Walkers Razor XV BT which are rechargeable by USB and last about 6 hours battery life. They are Bluetooth also. They are wired earplugs so easy to use a rifle. I only used them one day so far, but they worked pretty good.

I bought a set of Walkers Razor XV BT from Cabela's and have been pretty happy with them. I bought them for duck hunting. The earplugs don't interfere with my cheek weld like headphones sometimes will. Also, when the hunting is slow, it's kind of nice to turn on the tunes or call the wife. On all day hunts, I've packed along a battery charger pack to keep it going.

The only complaints I have about the Walkers is that the ear plugs are a bit slower to put in than just slipping on a set of headphones. Also, the ear plug inserts come in three (3) sizes and are not cheap. But they don't sell a single pack of one size. I wear the large plugs and have to buy a pack with large, medium, and small plugs. What am I going to do with the others? Luckily for me, I met a guy who wears mediums so we swap.

Well.... THANK YOU ALL for your suggestions. I have went ahead and ordered two pair (me and my son). Peltor 500 & 300. I also order one set of the gel cups for them. We will see how I like them. If they are't what I want I will return them and try something else. But I really want to thank you all for assistance. I researched every set that was mentioned, and I tallied up what you all suggested.

Well.... THANK YOU ALL for your suggestions. I have went ahead and ordered two pair (me and my son). Peltor 500 & 300. I also order one set of the gel cups for them. We will see how I like them. If they are't what I want I will return them and try something else. But I really want to thank you all for assistance. I researched every set that was mentioned, and I tallied up what you all suggested.
I love my peltor muffs

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top