JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I no particular order ....

• Muffs are what I've used the most. They're relatively inexpensive and just work. The only down sides is their bulk and trying to talk with another person.
  • Hearing safe silencers. They are a delight to shoot and conversations with a partner are easy. The downside is cost, paperwork, additional parts (in some cases), and some platforms cannot be suppressed to a safe level.
  • Plugs. If for some reason neither of those options were available, that is what I used. The ones I've used don't seem to muffle the sound as good as the aforementioned. But they are little, cheap, and are easy to pack.
So, whatever works. :)

I got a box of 200 foam ear plugs at lumbermens. I'm not ear-pro advanced.
Well to tell the truth I would recommend that everyone go out and shoot there gun with out hearing protection just so they know what it's going to be like when they have to use there gun .
Because IF YOU HAVE TO USE YOUR GUN IN SELF DEFENSE .
YOU WON'T HAVE THE TIME TO PUT IN EAR PLUGS

I've got a pair of earmuffs from the flight deck of the USS Enterprise. They were cosmetically damaged, so they were going to throw them out. They work great, but you can't hear voices unless loud and are a little bulky. I am looking at electronic muffs and the small inner ear type.

Well to tell the truth I would recommend that everyone go out and shoot there gun with out hearing protection just so they know what it's going to be like when they have to use there gun .

When I first went shooting for the first time to try my 357 magnum years ago in California, It was an outdoor range and the RO turned the red lights on, and everyone had to stop shooting. We had to stand behind a painted line and RO walked down both sides and made sure that revolvers and pistols were unloaded. Then we were able change targets. It was not crowded and I forgot to put my gun mufflers on and fired a round. Damn it hurt my ears so bad and and took me a awhile to hear normally again. I have never forgotten to put ear protection on after that event. :(

I keep a pair of gun mufflers on my nightstand so if I have time, I will put them on. We have an alarm so hopefully if a bad guy breaks into our house the alarm will scare them off. We have an alarm horn in the attic so it will wake up all of our neighbors as well.

Last Edited:

I wouldn't recommend this. One time doing that and I was spinning in circles feeling like I drank 20 shots of vodka throwing up all over the place. I had ringing in my ears for a week after that. Maybe a magazine would be fine, but do not do more than that.

Back on the topic of earpro, I like the Impact Pro as well. They are fairly cheap for electronic earpro and the one thing nobody else has mentioned that I love is that you can plug in your phone and listen to music and it still amplifies people when they talk and blocks gunshots.

Well I guess I should have said that but really your right don't go and shoot all day without hearing protection but .
5 Rounds at least . I don't recommend Shooting all day but like you said it made you sick I don't get that but it affects EVERY ONE different .
But if you have to fire your gun in self defense and then throw up .
YOU Might have a PROBLEMS

You might have to wiggle them a bit..

th?id=OIP.0woolDsQrUi4UHf1xrpPKQHaFS&w=237&h=160&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.5&pid=1.jpg

lol

Well I guess I should have said that but really your right don't go and shoot all day without hearing protection but .
5 Rounds at least . I don't recommend Shooting all day but like you said it made you sick I don't get that but it affects EVERY ONE different .
But if you have to fire your gun in self defense and then throw up .
YOU Might have a PROBLEMS

I get what you were saying, it is important to know how loud a gun is especially in a car or inside a small room. I think the last thing anybody ever thinks will take them out of a gun fight is ruptured eardrums; Imagine the drunkest you've ever been, with the room spinning, then add a high pitch ringing and that's what it's like.

I get what you were saying, it is important to know how loud a gun is especially in a car or inside a small room. I think the last thing anybody ever thinks will take them out of a gun fight is ruptured eardrums; Imagine the drunkest you've ever been, with the room spinning, then add a high pitch ringing and that's what it's like.
I don't have to imagine it LOL
I HAVE BEEN REALLY DRUNK .
AND FIRED A GUN IN A CAR
AND FIRED A GUN IN A HOUSE
AND FIRED A GUN OUTSIDE LOL

OP, keep your eye on amazon. Great deals on decent electronic muffs pop up from time to time.

Think our last several we picked on special were Peltor Rangeguards. Pretty decent. Have auxiliary cable input (music, whathave you), and still amplify voice.

Having extras are handy. Keep 2 bedside all the time, and then gives extras in the range bags for newbies.

OP, keep your eye on amazon. Great deals on decent electronic muffs pop up from time to time.

Think our last several we picked on special were Peltor Rangeguards. Pretty decent. Have auxiliary cable input (music, whathave you), and still amplify voice.

Having extras are handy. Keep 2 bedside all the time, and then gives extras in the range bags for newbies.
If I go or when I go to the range I always have extra in case I need to talk to the guy girl kid or what ever next to me .
I just give them my extra pair and we can talk .
Has helped me more than once

Example this was a year ago or something like that .the indoor range up here rents gun's .
So there is a guy and his kid next to me they had there own pistol but they rented a AR .
But they were having PROBLEM with it .
I was trying to talk to the dad but it was a lost cause .
So I get my extra electric muffs out of my bag and give them to him he puts them on I turned them on and start talking .
The look on his face was worth the little bit of time I took to help them out LOL .

And from experience, I never heard the gun go off. When I hunt, I can't really say that I ever remember hearing my rifle go off either.

Maybe its because I'm deaf from only using foam earplugs.

When I hunt I don't use ear plugs duck hunting sometimes in a enclosed blind it doesn't bother me unless the guy next to me Shooting close to my ear

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top